Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Arkose 2 or 3?
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Can’t stretch to a 4 so what do you think?

2 has 1×10 and hydraulic brakes (are they any good?)

3 has 2×11 and BB7 brakes

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

bump

breadcrumb

I went for the 3 as I wanted the a wider spread/lower gearing.

The BB7s are great, don’t be put off by the fact they are cable.

allfankledup

I’d go for as many gears as you can get – you’ll thanks me on some of the steeper hills…

I spend more time pedalling than braking – the mech brakes on my norco do the job (mostly when trying to avoid pedestrians in Largs for some reason)

tomd
    Free Member

Guy at my work got the 2 a few months back. It looks really nice but he’s had no end of bother with the single ring set up. It seems prone to dropping the chain at inopportune moments. He got single ring set ups on his other bikes but for some reason he can’t get this to work.

jameso

The 2 has the lower gearing, 38-36 bottom gear, but only by a fraction – it’s basically the same as a 34-32 on the 3. The hydro TRP brakes are excellent imo.
    The chain drop mentioned there ^, I did find mine dropped it more often once the chain wore to near-replacement levels. Before that it was fine, but would come off now and then by unshipping from the bottom run. The thought was that those riding rough off-road most often could fit a NW of the right size, it’s hard to predict what single ring suits everyone and NWs were pricey at OE when the bike was specced up. The SRAM Type 2 RD seems prone to the clutch getting worn / becoming almost non-existant also, that doesn’t help and is worth checking.

cchris2lou

Do they sell them as frameset only? Can’t see them on their website.

jameso

We did, SS and geared framesets, sold out now though. More due in, ETA TBC.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

OK thanks all

benp1

Pinnacle Arkose 2 here. Used as my main workhorse – commuting, towing kids, carrying kids, shopping

I’m usually in the higher gears when commuting, the middle gears when carrying shopping (both panniers and a basket on the rack), a kid on the rack or towing the trailer, or the lower gears if I’ve got kids and trying to get up a hill

Every now and then I’d love to have a higher gear, but that’s only really on a serious downhill.

I’m not that quick and not that fit compared to many, but the bike does 60-80 miles a week on average and it’s been great

The hydro brakes are excellent, really. The bike is used mainly on the road with a small bit of light track use. Hasn’t been off road much, haven’t dropped the chain yet

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Arkose 2 or 3?’ is closed to new replies.