Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Arizona legislation more anti-gay than Russia – should mtbers boycott it?
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

what if they all barred you for being unmarried or no one would serve the gays?

FWIW I think you both have a point so I am fence sitting but I do tend to challenge prejudice

wwaswas

I think the difference between being unmarried and being gay is that one is a life choice that you’ve made the other is who you are.

Discrimination against either is bad but the latter is far more of an absolute rejection of someone than the former.

coffeeking
    Free Member

what if they all barred you for being unmarried or no one would serve the gays?

But that’s an extreme that’s not exactly realistic, or even close to as far as I can tell. If that were the case I could see the argument for legislating. Don’t get me wrong, I am all for gay rights (and unmarried couples rights!) but I’m also not for stepping on the toes of people who feel it’s an afront to their stupid religious beliefs for the sake of not offending another group. I’m all for opening their eyes and educating them, but forcing them to do something they don’t want will simply breed further hatred too. Rock. Hard place.

I think the difference between being unmarried and being gay is that one is a life choice that you’ve made the other is who you are.

As a staunchly non-religious person I’d say unmarried partner is “who I am”, to insist I must be married is to insist I accept some religion or notional form of religion that is acceptable to others?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Just go to a better shop.

What if it’s the only shop in town and you desperately need something it’s selling?

(Reasonably likely in rural Arizona)

EDIT: or the last gas station for hundreds of miles

MSP

As a staunchly non-religious person I’d say unmarried partner is “who I am”, to insist I must be married is to insist I accept some religion or notional form of religion that is acceptable to others?

Is that any different to insist that somebody must be straight to fit in with religious beliefs?

I don’t see how you can think, in the example given, discrimination should be legislated against for one group ie the unmarried, but not for another.

coffeeking
    Free Member

What if it’s the only shop in town and you desperately need something it’s selling?

(Reasonably likely in rural Arizona)

Indeed, tricky. I just can see both arguments to some degree, and while I naturally fall on the side of “that’s wrong” I have a tendency to test a thought by playing devils advocate for a bit.

I don’t see how you can think, in the example given, discrimination should be legislated against for one group ie the unmarried, but not for another.

I think I may have mis-represented what I meant if that’s the view you took of it. I didn’t suggest any preference for any group in legislation? If someone doesn’t want my unmarried ass in their shop, fine, screw them – I don’t care(and while I don’t know for sure, I reckon I’d think the same if I was gay)! My thought was more that if people find something personally offensive, maybe it’s not entirely useful to force people to do those things against their will.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Indeed, tricky. I just can see both arguments to some degree, and while I naturally fall on the side of “that’s wrong” I have a tendency to test a thought by playing devils advocate for a bit.

To be honest, I was on the fence with you until I thought of the gas station example. Now I’m all about legislating on their asses. 😀

coffeeking
    Free Member

I guess if there were no legislation and it was just done on personal preference, it would be <shrugs>but to legislate that people CAN discriminate, it does seem wrong in the cold light of day. BURN THEM (but I won’t be boycotting a chance to ride there!)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

to legislate that people CAN discriminate

And this is the nub of it for me. I’m all for less legislation and allowing the moral zeitgeist to evolve to the point where no discrimination exists because that is the right thing. However, as someone pointed out, history shows that this is often not the best approach. Legislation to ALLOW people to discriminate seems downright wrong and retrograde to me.

jock-muttley

Business owners had this Right to discriminate in the UK for centuries its called;

“The Management reserve the right to refuse Service”

The key to it is NOT to give a reason (that was why the Right Wing Fundamentalists Christian B&B owners got into trouble.

Listed under various reasons I have had include “you’re wearing trainers/jeans/leather jacket”* to “I don’t like your face” and my personal favourite “your hair is to long” which I have had several times in my life but the last was last year in a Cafe in Wooler FFS – (as I pointed out it was shorter than hers but I will admit that I might not have helped my case as the rest of my response whilst being articulate utilised the full range of my ex-military vocabulary :mrgreen: )

*mind you I have seen the opposite in our local rock club… “you are far to tidy to drink in here!”

molgrips
    Free Member

or the last gas station for hundreds of miles

If it’s self service, just fuel up and when you mince in looking as camp as you can and get refused, just drive off. Win/win.

project
    Free Member

How many larger buisnesses can afford to stop people shopping in their shop, restraunt, wbhen all the facebook/twitter media deluge starts , its going to be small enterpises owned and run by numptioes that are gong to refuse service, just beacuase they can, and then again what stereotypical model are they going to use for accusing someone of being gay,short hair, longhair , tight jeans, jeans down youre arse,baggy jeans,bright colured shirts, tight shirts, baseball hats, trainers and whatever straights wear.
    Even possibly middle ageed men riding a bike, wearing lycra under baggy shorts with un shaved legs.

marko75
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member
    So then it becomes stuff based on a rumour, or gossip. Then the girl with short hair or they guy who works as a hairdresser and has a pink shirt on.

I am not a hair dresser but have my pink ‘management’ shirts…. better tell the wife that I need to go into the closet! 🙂

For those who are a fan of George Takei he is advocating a ban of Arizona link

In it he says: “And maybe you just never learn. In 1989, you voted down recognition of the Martin Luther King holiday, and as a result, conventions and tourists boycotted the state, and the NFL moved the Superbowl to Pasadena. That was a $500 million mistake.”

mattsccm
    Free Member

What puzzles me is how people rant against discrimination, as in this case, but are happy to slag off people beliefs. You can’t have your cake and eat it. If you insist on condemning people you have to accept condemnation.
    Modern reasoning about freedom of speech, action and belief is hypocritical beyond any common sense. If you want me to accept your views you have to accept mine. If you won’t accept mine then tell me why I should accept yours?
    The issue is irrelevant.
    I would also point out that this is none of my business.

MSP

There is a big difference between voicing a negative opinion of someone’s beliefs to taking action which discriminates in a very real way because of that opinion.

This isn’t a law which just permits a whispering campaign against those who are considered different, it allows real discrimination on a very practical and real. As critical as I frequently am of religion I would certainly be against any law which allowed somebody to be refused service because they were wearing a cross.

I don’t know whether to find it funny or sad when religion tries to pretend it is the victim when it isn’t allowed to victimise other groups.

bigyinn
    Free Member

The easiest and simplest solution would be to either tattoo “gay” on the back of their hands or compulsory carrying of gay cards.
    It worked well about 75 years ago across Europe….

project
    Free Member

The easiest and simplest solution would be to either tattoo “gay” on the back of their hands or compulsory carrying of gay cards.

Think youll find the word gay 75 years ago meant bright and liveley, then was adopted by Standerwick for its fleet of VRL double deccker coaches using the Gay Hostess tagline, ,the word gay was then borrowed by homosexuals as it was more easlily spoken off the tounge than homosexual.
    And hitler made all homesexual men wear a pink triangle in the death camps.Perhaps thats what america wants.

Junkyard
    Free Member

What puzzles me is how people rant against discrimination, as in this case, but are happy to slag off people beliefs. You can’t have your cake and eat it. If you insist on condemning people you have to accept condemnation.

tolerant of all but the intolerant

I get your point but personally I dont mind discriminating against those who wish to discriminate – if this means they condemn me then fine.

You are also confusing the right to say something and the right to do something.

irc

Panic looms in Arizona as businesses realise they are going to lose the custom of the British MTB community.

Not a great law but there are many other places to boycott first. Anyone bought anything made in China recently?

http://www.amnestyusa.org/our-work/countries/asia-and-the-pacific/china

molgrips
    Free Member

Modern reasoning about freedom of speech, action and belief is hypocritical beyond any common sense. If you want me to accept your views you have to accept mine. If you won’t accept mine then tell me why I should accept yours?

Well not quite. I can criticise your beliefs, but that’s not the same as attempging to suppress them.

I for example am not gay – if you start talking about how dishy some bloke is, I will disagree. But I won’t try and convince you he’s not!

bigyinn
    Free Member

project – Member

Think youll find the word gay 75 years ago meant bright and liveley, then was adopted by Standerwick for its fleet of VRL double deccker coaches using the Gay Hostess tagline, ,the word gay was then borrowed by homosexuals as it was more easlily spoken off the tounge than homosexual.
    And hitler made all homesexual men wear a pink triangle in the death camps.Perhaps thats what america wants.
    Whooosh!!

grum
    Free Member

Not a great law but there are many other places to boycott first. Anyone bought anything made in China recently?

http://www.amnestyusa.org/our-work/countries/asia-and-the-pacific/china

Whataboutery at it’s finest.

LHS
    Free Member

America A single state exposes itself again to be backward, Shocker!

Fixed that for you.

wwaswas

The state Governor has vetoed the legislation 🙂

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-26363704

which given her social conservatism is a surprise to me.

Good to see a lot of companies putting their heads over the parapet to say it was wrong, too:

http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=43&item=2275

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Money talks, bullshyt walks…

In doing so, Ms Brewer sided with the business community – including firms such as Intel, Yelp, Marriott and Major League Baseball and the Arizona Chamber of Commerce.

wwaswas

Looks like some sections of UKIP have the same views as the Arizona neo-conservatives.

I do love ‘libertarians’ – it seems to mean “Anyone can do anything I agree with.”

Want to refuse to serve gay people because it’s your business? That’s great.

Want to employ someone from a different country because they have skills you need or are cheap to employ? Not going to happen matey.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/11052868.Lewes_UKIP_councillor_says_businesses_should_have_power_to_turn_away_women_and_gay_people/

aP
    Free Member

Mississippi is now trying to pass a similar law.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

I do love ‘libertarians’ – it seems to mean “Anyone can do anything I agree with.”

That not libertarianism tho is it…? more like bigotry.

Anyhow, the “law” got chucked out. Thats how liberal democracy and free speech works. Progressive? Cools lets do that. Regressive and oppressive… lets not. (mostly).

Right wing bigots are pushing for their beliefs just like everyone else (just like they always have). Going on all over the world. Its up to free thinking liberal minded people to fight back.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Looks like some sections of UKIP have the same views as the Arizona neo-conservatives.

That’s a bit unfair on the Arizonian neo-conservatives, the UKIP councillor goes much further than they do. She wants businesses “to be allowed to refuse service to anyone they want for whatever reason they want”.

So whilst the Arizonian neo-conservatives wanted businesses to be allowed to refuse to serve on the basis of alleged religious beliefs, the UKIP councillor says she would be ok if gays, black people, Irish, fat people, women, etc, were all refused service for no reason at all.

This story sounds like it might be a PR disaster for UKIP but the good news for them is that their potential voters don’t give a toss what UKIP has to say. They are not Conservative, Labour, or LibDem, and that’s all that matters to them.

Officially UKIP has no policies : Nigel Farage disowns all of Ukip’s 2010 manifesto policies But this lack of policies doesn’t stop about 20% of the electorate saying they will vote for them.

Nigel Farage smiles, laughs, holds a pint of beer in his hand, and he doesn’t much like foreigners, that’s what impresses them.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

We don’t serve gays ****.

FTFY, Arizona…

Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Arizona legislation more anti-gay than Russia – should mtbers boycott it?’ is closed to new replies.