Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Arizona legislation more anti-gay than Russia – should mtbers boycott it?
  • wwaswas

Genuine question.

Would you feel comfortable staying, eating or shopping somewhere that actively refused to serve people the owner thought was homosexual?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/10654957/Arizona-passes-law-allowing-shopkeepers-to-refuse-to-serve-gay-people.html

and if you can’t tell which establishments it is that discriminate just by looking would you be better just going to a different state/country that doesn’t have that issue?

At least the Russian law ‘only’ stopped you from promoting homosexuality, not stop people selling you stuff because you looked it…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and if you can’t tell which establishments it is that discriminate just by looking

and

not stop people selling you stuff because you looked it…

The irony is strong in this one…

Stuff like this needs the publicity to remind those who were very high and mighty over Russia to start sorting things out at home first.

ctk
    Free Member

No its OK as they are Christians.

American churches fund the anti gay christian missionaries doing such good work in Uganda at the mo too.

wwaswas

The irony is strong in this one…

I can see how you interpreted what I said there 🙂

I hope what I meant to say came across as well: if I don’t want to spend money somewhere that discriminates and there’s no sign on the doors of those that do/don’t should I just visit another state?

Drac

Land of the Free.

matt_outandabout

You are brave Drac… 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I can see how you interpreted what I said there

Not at what you said but the fact that it’s all to be done on what somebody thinks…

scruff9252

America exposes itself again to be backward, Shocker!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

ctk – Member
    No its OK as they are Christians.

Tch!! You just HAD to bring religion into it, didn’t you.

Oh, wait…

wwaswas

and there’s more on that;

filmmaker @RogerRossWill on #Uganda #homosexuality law – says US Christian evangelicals behind antigay campaign

from bbc’s @rdhearing on twitter.

Pigface
    Free Member

I am pretty sure the good people of Al-Qaeda would back away slowly and not make eye contact if they realised how nuts America is between the coasts. Fundamental attitudes doesn’t quite cover it.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

We’re an LGB rights advocacy group now?

I don’t think our combined economic might would cause the state much lost sleep. I’m pretty sure there are a lot of businesses in Arizona who would actively defy this rather than penalising them you should see if you can support a ‘stop this law’ campaign of which I’m sure there will be a few. i.e. if you’re that bothered petition the legislature. There’s also probably a few mtbers in the ‘hate the gays’ camp too, not least in the us of a of america’s heartlands so i think you plea fot mtber unity will fall on deaf ears (deafened by the exchange of hystrionic screeching on scottish independance).

That said, it is top notch hypocrisy.

konabunny
    Free Member

America exposes itself again to be backward, Shocker!

Jesus Christ, you snotty little ungrateful gits. Look at where the US has been ahead of the curve in legislating against discrimination on the basis of sex, race, gender and disability, and where individual states and cities allow gay marriage, and freedom of information, and whistleblowing, and insider training, and anti cartel law, and then look at how backward and slow to the party the UK has been in adopting those things. “SHOCKER” :rolleyes: The cheap reflexive and brainless anti-American stuff that pops up here is so incredibly stupid and tedious.

DrJ

“ungrateful” ? How is that relevant to anything? In some ways the US is a great place, and lives up to the ideals it sets itself. In other ways, really, really not. Ask any resident of Guantanamo Bay, or any of the huge prison polulation, or …etc etc

MSP

Look at where the US has been ahead of the curve in legislating against discrimination on the basis of sex, race, gender and disability

Where was this then?

Pigface
    Free Member

konabunny if you listen to the idiot ramblings of Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity and Michael Savage on the radio then America is indeed backwards. They make the like of Nick Ferrari, Littlejohn and Morgan seem positively rational

crankboy
    Free Member

It might help to read the actual proposal or indeed the article , the law says that shopkeepers can (not must) refuse service if it they have strong religious views . It does not make being openly homosexual a crime. I have no doubt there are deeply homophobic people in Arizona who commit hate crimes (as there are around the world) but unlike Russia( and parts of the African continent eg Uganda) they are not being applauded for their actions and presented as roll models by politicians.

So a massive stretch of the truth to suggest Arizonan legislation is more Anti Gay than Russia . Still a rubbish law though but it could be a covert bluff to out the Homophobic shopkeepers so people can chose which business to support.

emsz
    Free Member

You know what? There are probably people in England that don’t really want to serve me. And mostly I Couldn’t care less. How will they know? It’s not like I have “I’m a dyke” tattooed on my forehead.

Nick

Mental, legal permission to discriminate.

Its also inconsistent, there are plenty of other things that the Bible says you shouldn’t do, but there are no laws for those. Eating Pork, Getting a tattoos, Working on Sundays, women speaking in church etc

So basically this is either another step aware from growing up and stopping believing in fairies or it is just that some people are using the right to believe in fairies to pick and choose how they oppress others.

zippykona

I am going to commit myself to making sure Arizona never gets the Winter Olympics.
    Seriously though we have a gay couple come in the shop who must be knocking on 80.
    They are just about the nicest people you will ever meet. How anyone could hold a grudge against them I don’t know.

martinhutch

It might help to read the actual proposal or indeed the article , the law says that shopkeepers can (not must) refuse service if it they have strong religious views

When a state authority makes it lawful to discriminate against someone on the basis of their race or sexuality, it instantly makes that person a second-class citizen in their own home. The message is clear – a citizen’s distaste for you and your lifestyle is more important than your rights to be treated equally. It may not criminalise being homosexual, but it sends a clear message about how they are to be (mis)treated.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

The US has never been ‘the land of the free’. This little blast from the past should serve as a reminder of the nation’s heritage.

http://www.seditionproject.net/

mikewsmith
    Free Member

emsz – Member
    You know what? There are probably people in England that don’t really want to serve me. And mostly I Couldn’t care less. How will they know? It’s not like I have “I’m a dyke” tattooed on my forehead.

So then it becomes stuff based on a rumour, or gossip. Then the girl with short hair or they guy who works as a hairdresser and has a pink shirt on.

Giving people the power to discriminate on a whim is very dangerous.

molgrips
    Free Member

Look at where the US has been ahead of the curve in legislating against discrimination on the basis of sex, race, gender and disability

I’m also keen to know when this was?

+100 for mikewsmith too – a very slippery slope.

My mum used to get people thinking she was a lesbian back in the 60s, because she was an athlete. So she could’ve been refused service. In a small town, someone else in the shop could easily gossip on that and the rumour spreads. Imagine being refused service in half your town?

If your religion told you not to like black people, would it also be okay to refuse to serve them?

grum
    Free Member

The cheap reflexive and brainless anti-American stuff that pops up here is so incredibly stupid and tedious.

Not sure that anyone is anti everything about America – just about the stupid backward bigoted religious nonsense.

Jesus Christ, you snotty little ungrateful gits.

Overreact much?

franksinatra

Jesus Christ, you snotty little ungrateful gits.

Blasphemy, I would have you locked up for that you devil lover

breatheeasy
    Free Member

It’s not like I have “I’m a dyke” tattooed on my forehead.

Do you have ‘ekyd’ tatooed on because you did it in the mirror? 😆

kimbers

well im now boycotting arrizona

edit

seems that Pivot Cycles are based in Arizona
    so I will be boycotting them also

wwaswas

“???p”

‘cos you were stood on your head looking in a mirror?

Junkyard
    Free Member

We’re an LGB rights advocacy group now?

I think we care about all human rights or is it just the gayer ones you object to us supporting

There are probably people in England* that don’t really want to serve me. And mostly I Couldn’t care less. How will they know? It’s not like I have “I’m a dyke” tattooed on my forehead.

Not sure how good the gaydar of the average bigot is tbh

* The non english dont feel like this – that was why you said england yes?

legend
    Free Member

* The non english dont feel like this – that was why you said england yes?

Damn right. Just you wait n see how gay an independent Scotland is!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and back to the OP I don’t think this makes Arizona more wrong than Russia, the Russian laws are a big step further and for Emz, I don’t think they are so much worried about the “Lady Gays” but the “Man Gays”

thestabiliser
    Free Member

That’s right Junky I’m a homophobe. Well done. The question was about MTBers I don’t think you’ll find we have a representative group of any kind that takes a stance on human rights issues. Similarly you won’t have heard of the following groups, because they don’t exist.

Flower arrangers against apartheid
    Morris dancers rainbow league
    Woodturners free tibet movement

coffeeking
    Free Member

In the UK people don’t HAVE to serve anyone they don’t want anyway, and they don’t have to state why they don’t want to. There’s no legal obligation to sell things to people?

(not that I’m suggesting it’s OK to discriminate, just that there’s plenty of ways to do it legally anyway)

wwaswas

In the UK people don’t HAVE to serve anyone they don’t want anyway,

possibly not but to refuse service based on customer sexuality and your own religious belief isn’t legal;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/10477636/Christian-BandB-owners-lose-Supreme-Court-battle-over-gay-discrimination.html

coffeeking
    Free Member

But you’d have to actually state that’s why in the first place.

Ultimately there’s very few of these raging homophobes about, it makes more sense to ignore them until they die out than to boycott states who won’t even notice you’re missing.At the end of the day you don’t change people’s opinions by force, you either can’t change them (so it’s pointless trying and no loss to the world) or you change them with reason and logic.

MSP

At the end of the day you don’t change people’s opinions by force, you either can’t change them

You may not be able to change their opinions, but you can legislate against their actions.

coffeeking
    Free Member

You may not be able to change their opinions, but you can legislate against their actions.

Yep, but I’m not sure what it gains you other than service by someone who hates you and will likely do everything they can to make you feel unwelcome anyway. Just go to a better shop.

MSP

Why bother having laws at all, after all society proves time and time again that it is self policing and never marginalises minority’s when left to its own devices 🙄

coffeeking
    Free Member

Society marginalises despite laws; education and prevention of physical and verbal abuse is key to turning things round. But not serving someone is somewhat more akin to offending them, in the grand scheme of things. I’ve been refused a B&B room in Edinburgh because the owner didn’t like the fact that I wasn’t married to my other half who was with me, but really it wasn’t worth caring about and I found another up the road (Who also didn’t like it but didn’t feel they could refuse lol). I wouldn’t expect legislation to protect my right to rent a B&B room while unmarried, I will just avoid that B&B and not recommend it?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Arizona legislation more anti-gay than Russia – should mtbers boycott it?’ is closed to new replies.