Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Argyll and Bute cottages next week
  • bedwasboy
    Free Member

Me and the better half are looking to escape while i’m healing a hand operation. Earlier in the year I cycled through Oban on the way south to Campbletown. I thought the area was stunning and thought it would be good to come back.
    Anyone on here been to this area and could recommend a pet friendly cottage, ideally near the water and with a log burner or open fire. Won’t be riding just walking and a spot of eating and drinking.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

No help to you but I’ll be watching this. We went that way to catch the ferry to Islay & now fancy a stay, maybe around Inverary/Minard/Lochgilphead.

bedwasboy
    Free Member

Crankboy, thanks I love the Ruin shame about no pets though.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Do a google for 17 hamilton terrace, lamlash on Arran. Nearly Argyllshire and bute!, but ticks all your other boxes. Had a week there in the summer, brilliant. 3 cracking pubs within 2 minutes, one does wood fired pizza, beach 50 yards, takes a dog and has a fire.

Lamlash is a lovely village, stunning view over to the holy isle and great road and MTB on yer doorstep.

crankboy
    Free Member

http://www.unique-cottages.co.uk/cottages/westcoast/argyll/sawmill_holiday_cottage_eilean_shona this is properly isolated small boat to get there and back no cars very few people you will need to take all you need to eat and drink as no shop or pub . warning 1 week does not equal 6 bottles of wine for two. It is lovely and very close to a tidal sore about 10 meters at high tide .excellent walks loads of deer otters and many ticks.

http://www.carradalecottages.com/cottages/douglas.php

http://www.carradale.net/

Carradale is a lovely little village with amazing beaches 8)

bedwasboy
    Free Member

Crankboy some fantastic cottages no vacancies next week though,Underground nice place also again not available.

somafunk

Check out Tavyallich, i used to stay near here as kid (achnamara/castle sween/crinan) and it’s a very nice place to escape to

Ellary and Castle Sween here

Kilmahumaig cottages, Crinan , i used to stay here when i was 10ish, early/mid 80’s and it was a lovely place back then, climb the hill outside the barn and take in views over to Jura and the bay, then bomb down the hill on our bikes to bugger about my mates dad’s boatyard then onto Crinan hotel and bug Nick (owner) for free coke and explore the smuggling routes under the cellars – childhood heaven!.

This farm belongs to a mate, nr to Achnamara at head of Loch sween

Creggan Canal house, , yet another place i know well from my mispent youth up that way, we used to sell our services as lock operators to all the fancy yacht’ies who wanted to use the crinan canal, we’d agree a price to cycle from crinan to lochgilphead and back again, we’d operate/open all the lock gates for them so they had free passage at all times, and we’d agree a price wi folk at the other side for the return journey as well – we used to cycle a helluva distance back then, and got surprisingly well paid – at the age of 10 i was raking it in for a days work, and some of the yachts were like palaces inside, some folk allowed to help out as deck hands and head across to Jura and the isles in the summer wi them as well.

stealthcat

Have a look at the Landmark Trust places at Saddell.

Cul na Shee looks good, Ferryman’s Cottage is almost on the shore and has an open fire, and the lodge has an open fire but is further from the shore. Shore Cottage looks OK, but a bit dull compared to the others.
    The other 2 properties might be a bit big…

bedwasboy
    Free Member

Some amazing laces that tick all the boxes, only trouble is no availability when I need it, I will have to consider booking dates for next year. What a beautiful part of our world.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Argyll and Bute cottages next week’ is closed to new replies.