Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Arguably the greatest game in the world . . .
  • SouthAfrica2010
    Free Member

🙂

3 days till the competition starts, 4 days till England make their move.

The atmosphere over here is amazing. You can buy flags and vuvuzelas at every robot. Shopping centers are adorned with flags of all nationalities. Posters along the roads, TV adverts, everything. The country and it's people have bought into this event whole heartedly.

Bafana Bafana are highly unlikely to win the cup, in fact they are highly unlikely to make it through to the second round – they have France, Uraguay & Mexico in their group – but they have won their last 12 matches in a row and anyway whether they win or lose their country will be proud of them 🙂

I'm an english speaking South African – so I have 2 (although slim) chances of success!

So . . . . . bring it on . . . . .!

🙂

iDave
    Free Member

please tell your brothers to stop blowing those hugely annoying bloody humming trumpet things or i won't be watching much of your tournament. thanks in advance.

bassspine
    Free Member

they make a big fuss about chess over there don't they?

dave360

"Arguably the greatest game in the world"

no it isn't

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Womens beach volly ball. Now thats the best game in the world.

iDave
    Free Member

it is arguably though…

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I think my mute button is going to get some work for the next few weeks. Maybe try it with some of the radio commentary on instead. That noise is painfull after a while

DezB
    Free Member

it is arguably though…

No it's not

MussEd
    Free Member

Yeah hobo cos those annoying AND loud horns won't be picked up by the radio commentators mics sitting about three rows back/in front of the TV commentators…

bloodynora
    Free Member

Yes it is

LHS
    Free Member

Football is the most popular game in the world.

So for the majority of people, arguably it is the greatest.

bassspine
    Free Member

that's not an argument you're just contradicting everything he says

dave360

No I'm not. Actually yes I am.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Each to their own i guess. Not bothered either way tbh. Tend to get fed up with it after a while, due to the constant banging on about it. Still when the pubs are full i.e. when england are playing, we can have nice empty (cheeky?) trails.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

But it is only a game. Not a sport. Fishing is the most popular sport. 😛

DezB
    Free Member

It's arguably a game of contradictions

SouthAfrica2010
    Free Member

The vuvuzela's can be a bit annoying and they are very loud – but it's part of our culture. In 4 years time you may be saying the same about all the whistle blowing in Brazil (they do love their whistles over there)

🙂

vinnyeh

But it is only a game. Not a sport. Fishing is the most popular sport.

Depends how you measure it- in terms of participants, or watchers. 😆 Fishing can be a bit dry to watch.
    And are all those who do it to provide food, or catch commercially counted as sportsmen?

Pook

I don't mind a good game of football. I won't ever cheer on a particular team, except maybe England, and then only cos it's my default team. I quite like watching Brazil play.

Still.

Arguably Lost Valley of the Dinosaurs is the best game in the world. And until you've actually played it, you can't argue against that assertion.

konabunny
    Free Member

I'm an english speaking South African – so I have 2 (although slim) chances of success!

If South Africa is the first team that gives you a chance, and the other team that has a chance of winning is English-speaking…does that mean you'll be supporting New Zealand?
    http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/teams/team=43978/index.html

LHS
    Free Member

But it is only a game. Not a sport. Fishing is the most popular sport

Wrong, Football is the most popular sport/game/activity.

Football

Pook

this was good too

SouthAfrica2010
    Free Member

If South Africa is the first team that gives you a chance, and the other team that has a chance of winning is English-speaking…does that mean you'll be supporting New Zealand?

might be, or it might be Australia, USA or England or France. I'll let you know which one it was after the final 🙂

(France speak english don't they?)

epicyclo

LHS – Member

Anything that takes the chavs & neds off the streets for a few hours has got to be a good thing.

Even better is when they go overseas and get themselves locked up in large numbers at events like a World Cup.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Does the footie start soon? When is Great Britain's first game?

The Game of Kings!

molgrips
    Free Member

NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEee
    NEEEEEEEEEEEEEENEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeenEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe
    NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeNEEEEEEEEEEEEee

Annoying much?

konabunny
    Free Member

Anything that takes the chavs & neds off the streets for a few hours has got to be a good thing.

I'm gonna get a vanload of neds from Gretna and go robbing in Carlisle when the first game's on. 😈

LHS
    Free Member

Going to be in the US for the first game on Saturday, wonder if they have it on in any of the bars!!?

iDave
    Free Member

it's not even a game of two halves anymore, what with extra times varying so much.

jon1973
    Free Member

Does the footie start soon? When is Great Britain's first game?

I think the first game is Liverpool v Germany.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

this was good too

I LOVED that game!!

What about this too?

Macavity
    Free Member

Elephant polo

ooOOoo
    Free Member

higgo
    Free Member

SST
    Free Member

What about 30 seconds?

No, I don't mean Hora's "staying power", I mean the board game:

DezB
    Free Member

konabunny
    Free Member

Higgo – have you got anything a little bit less piratey?

BigDummy
    Free Member

Lost Valley of the Dinosaurs FTW.

bigrich

I thought overtaking fat men on 5 grand bikes at boring trailcenters was the best sport?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Arguably the greatest game in the world . . .’ is closed to new replies.