Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Argon 18 has the worst customer service ever!!
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

I don’t like posting negative comments, but having tried in vain to get through to both i-ride who import Argon 18 and Argon 18 themselves regarding my busted Argon 18 frame to discuss why they don’t offer a crash replacement I have decided to vent my frustration on here in the hope that others do not suffer the same fate.

i-ride – left 3 messages for them to call me to discuss warranty. Never called back

Argon 18 – Warranty goes straight through to voice mail. Have called 4 times.

Rubbish!!

matt_outandabout

I hear your pain. How has the frame broken? How long a time were these calls over?

flanagaj
    Free Member

Rear mech got snagged in the back wheel and wrenched around the cassette. It shorted the chain and snapped the stay. The chain length was 2 links shorter than it should have been, but even if the chain length had been correct, it would not have coped with the rear mech getting pulled around the back of the cassette.

I always though it would have snapped the hanger, but it did not. So slightly disgruntled as I feel they have just washed their hands of it.

I think given that it was a very unfortunate accident they would have tried to help in some way.

plop_pants
    Free Member

Email Argon. I did when I bought a duff bike off ebay and they were very helpful discussing the problem and sourcing me a replacement at a very reasonable price.

flanagaj
    Free Member

I did email them when it first happened, but the response I got back was from i-ride not Argon. So I assume they just forwarded it on.

richardk
    Free Member

This usually works

facebook.com/argon18bike

mickolas
    Free Member

didn’t STW decide collectively that it was purely because the chain was too short and that the mech/wheel collision was collateral damage of the chainstay snapping?

scotroutes

mickolas – to be fair to the OP, he’s not asking for warranty, just about any crash replacement policy (some manufacturers do this, most IME don’t).

matt_outandabout

^ I was thinking that.
    Warranty? No.
    Accident? hmmm.
    Self inflicted? yes.
    As OP says, maybe to offer a discount would be good service.

convert

to discuss why they don’t offer a crash replacement

I’m not sure what you think you are going to get from this conversation. Somehow, either through information on a website or a previous conversation, you are aware that they don’t have this policy. That’s their position, pretty much end of.

I suspect they have a similar thought to me about how useful this conversation is going to be – it’s polite to call a customer back I guess, but when it’s likely to end up in getting ranted at when you’ve already stated your position it will drop to the bottom of most people’s “nice little job to do before I go home” list.

flanagaj
    Free Member

I’m not sure what you think you are going to get from this conversation. Somehow, either through information on a website or a previous conversation, you are aware that they don’t have this policy. That’s their position, pretty much end of.

I am just bringing to other peoples attention. I will never buy an Argon 18 frame again and will stick with the large companies. I have a friend who has broken 3 specialized carbon frames and they always replace without question.

Given what it costs Argon 18 to manufacture a frame, I do struggle to understand why they don’t offer a cheap cost based replacement frame.

Plus, from what I have gathered, this failure is so rare(only found one other instance on the net) you would think they would offer to do something

brant
    Free Member

If you would like a Planet X frame to replace your Argon18, and I can have your Argon18 frame to cut up and look at, we could offer you a discount.
    Let me know.

flanagaj
    Free Member

If you would like a Planet X frame to replace your Argon18, and I can have your Argon18 frame to cut up and look at, we could offer you a discount.
    Let me know.

Just had a look and I see you do a titanium frame :-O, I am all ears!

matt_outandabout

win….

Sancho
    Free Member

just a thought, despite the OP’s ranting, he doesn’t have a contract with Argon or I-ride, its with the dealer, so what are the dealer doing about it?

scotroutes

If the failure is the users fault then the retailer has no responsibility. However, some manufacturers (e.g. Specialized) will offer support over and above any legal obligation.

Sancho
    Free Member

true, but typically the dealer will try on behalf of the customer as a lot of companies dont deal with the public directly.

spyke85
    Free Member

Why would thy offer anything due to failings of other components incorrectly fitted?

jodafett

I’m not getting what I want so I must DESTROY THIS COMPANY. Exterminate, Exterminate, spit dummy out, stomp my feet and cry boo hoo x

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

true, but typically the dealer will try on behalf of the customer as a lot of companies dont deal with the public directly.

I think in the previous thread, he was told to jog on.

edit: (Quote from other thread)

Spoke to the shop and they told me it’s my own fault for having the chain too short and that you should be able to use any gear combination on the bike.

To the OP, ditch the Brand and shop. Sounds like you have a good offer from Brant. Those Ti frames are nice.

Tom83

I’d take Brants offer, and make sure the chains the right length this time.

flanagaj
    Free Member

I’m not getting what I want so I must DESTROY THIS COMPANY. Exterminate, Exterminate, spit dummy out, stomp my feet and cry boo hoo x

The truth of the matter is that I am not convinced the shop tried one bit to see whether the manufacturer was willing to assist. In fact, I am not even convinced they sent the frame back! From day one the finger was pointed at me. I even took it back because of a loose bottle rivet and was told “You did it up too tight didn’t you”

The reason for attempting to speak to both i-ride and Argon 18 was to see whether they had actually inspected the frame.

I hate to say this, but there are some real p!icks on this forum. If I read a post and I don’t like what I read I just move on, some on here just can resist but to post pointless comments

FuzzyWuzzy

Not great that they don’t offer crash replacement although many others don’t either and bit shoddy they don’t answer the phone (although your official contact point is not Argon 18 or i-Ride anyway). Brant’s offer sounds good, the alternative would be claiming on house insurance assuming you have accidental damage cover on your policy.

brant
    Free Member

OP, I’m in meetings all day but drop me a line. Email in profile.

Sancho
    Free Member

to be fair to the shop, in pointing the finger at the OP, they were right, as for a loose bottle rivet, if it wasnt loose when sold, then I would guess only through over tightening would it come loose, I wonder if we will get a thread about on-one in a few months 😉

Sancho
    Free Member

and I’m taking the piss so dont get angry 🙂

jodafett

I hate to say this, but there are some real p!icks on this forum.

That come here and try and tarnish a company because they feel hard done by. And anymore of the insults and I’ll report you for swear filter avoidance, then we’ll see who’s reputations tarnished huh! 😈

atlaz
    Free Member

If I read a post and I don’t like what I read I just move on, some on here just can resist but to post pointless comments

But surely posting on here you were hoping to elicit some sympathy? You’ve got to take the rough with the smooth.

tomhoward

IMO if bike companies sorted out every customer who borked a bike through their own stupidity, there wouldn’t be that many bike companies.

Seems to me you have learned a valuable (and costly) lesson in setting up drivetrains.

Get the frame fixed, it will probably be cheaper than the cost replacement frame.

Brant, if you do a deal, might be worth offering to build the new frame into a bike 😉

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Should a short chain really snap a chainstay?

wwaswas

Should a short chain really snap a chainstay?

there was some discussion on the original thread.

I guess it’s a question of where the weakest point is. If the mech and mech hanger are strong enough not to break under the strain then the chain stay’s going to take the force and give. Maybe enough to force the mech into the wheel and then it gets dragged onto the stay and smashes it?

Sancho
    Free Member

it seems that in this case it did yes

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Just seen Argon 18 are road bikes.

Interest in this thread has been nullified.

boblo
    Free Member

Brant, you must be a glutton for punishment taking this on…. Expect to be rubbished on here after episode 2: The Stupidity Continues…

And yes OP, there are some real plicks on this forum. Mainly the ones going around trashing their frames and then expecting everyone to a) sympathise with their stupidity and b) expecting the manufacturer/importer/retailer bending over backwards to make good their self inflicted damage. <sigh>

flanagaj
    Free Member

Seems like I am out numbered here. Looks like I am the p!ick. Oh dear, the Wife was right after all.

Topic closed

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

If you felt a crash replacement policy was important you should have bought a bike from a company that offered a crash replacement policy not from one that doesn’t and then after you cause the problem complain about them not providing a service that they never claimed to provide.

Sancho
    Free Member

Aww dont close it, its just getting interesting 🙂

69er
    Free Member

Did you / are you going to take up Brants offer?

You may want to search for ‘cracked titanium’ on here first…… seeing how well this has gone for you 😉

Aidy
    Free Member

What happened to getting the frame repaired?

theboatman
    Free Member

OP just step away from this thread and email Brant, and all this could end well.
    I think it would be safe to say some members may have smelt the whiff of weakness from you and will just continue to try a wind you up, so really the more you add the dafter you will look.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Argon 18 has the worst customer service ever!!’ is closed to new replies.