Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Arghhhhh broken my cranks!
  • weeksy

Had a bit of a creak when out riding and noticed when checking that my chainring bolts were a bit loose. They’re a rubbish bolt type so thought I’d swap them out from the Torx type to some raceface allen key type bolts… all good apart from 1…. This one had stripped the teeth off the bolt. So I knocked in a screwdriver, which worked perfectly but snapped the tab off ! So I now have a 3 bolt crank arm

Sadly, due to giving my other spare HT2 crank away just 2 weeks ago I don’t have a replacement crankset

Best option seems to be a Raceface Narrow wide crankset

Ouch @ £107 !

julians
    Free Member

Shimano slx cranks for about £65?

I couldn’t find anything better value than these when I broke mine a month ago

weeksy

Thought it may as well be time to go NW. I’ve got a 32t on there as a single on an ex-triple with a cheap superstar guide. So really I may as well go full single and put on the narrow wide

cynic-al
    Free Member

Am guessing 1/2 of the tab is left and it bolts up OK?

julians
    Free Member

Shimano slx works fine as a single, that’s what I’ve been using for the last year or so.

What does a dedicated single ring crank do that a double/triple with a single ring doesn’t? Genuine question I’ve always wondered.

weeksy

Al, no, completely sheared off the whole tab.

Jules, the NW simply means I will hopefully not need the guide.

Northwind

Even if you use a guide it still makes sense to use a narrow wide tbh, far better control. NW alone > top only chainguide, NW + top chainguide > full dh guide ime. Though I didn’t test that a huge amount.

notsospeedydaz
    Free Member

I’ve gone 1 x 11 with a nw was thinking will I need a chain guide. Been trying to drop the chain even with the clutch on mech switched off haven’t done it yet

alexh
    Free Member

When I was in need of a cheap, reliable crank the zee Inc a bb was about 60 notes on crc. Used it for an uplift day and then sold it on whilst I sorted my crank.

Bit heavy mind..

weeksy

I went for the Raceface

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/race-face-ride-narrow-wide-single-chainset/rp-prod113370

The 32T narrow wide along with a spare BB for my Charge HT and it’s a win win I guess.

this is where I probably find out now it’s completely incompatible with my BB which is a PFBB92 converted into a Shimano 24mm HT2 compatible. But I think reading the blurb it should be fine.

cokie

That looks very nice actually.
    My chainring and BB have worn out on my X1 setup (Sram Alloy SRAM X1-1400 GXP). It would be pretty much the same price to get a new bb and chainring as it would be to get this whole crankset. Rather odd.

gelert
    Free Member

@weeksy the new crank will be fine on the HT2 converted BB as long as it’s not worn out. Just make sure there isn’t any play in it once fitted, otherwise replace it.

I’ve just removed my RF Respond single because it’s heavy and replaced it with an SLX triple and XT External BB that comes with it. I simply removed the three chain rings from the SLX and fitted the RF N/W I already had. Under £80.

Saved 200g and it doesn’t feel any less stiff. Love how simple the Shimano stuff is and the XT BB is only £13. On my other bike the XT BB lasted 1300 miles and still going strong. An RF one had play in it after 650 miles. No hosing / jet wash either.

weeksy

Thanks Gelert. It’s all fairly new, got about 400 miles on the new BB tops. 🙂

weeksy

Mmmmmm shiny new cranks have arrived 🙂

weeksy

New crank installed

weeksy

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Arghhhhh broken my cranks!’ is closed to new replies.