Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Argh – ****** **** ***** ***** ***** mosquitos
  • Flaperon

Didn’t realise Athens has mosquitos and spent most of yesterday (and the evening) outside. There is no bit of me that hasn’t swollen up (stop sniggering at the back) and all the bites are itching like crazy.

Pharmacy is shut. Suggestions needed urgently before I start cauterising them with a soldering iron.

Seriously. I cannot describe how unpleasant this is. Even my hands have been bitten.

Stoner
    Free Member

baking soda and vinegar paste.

CountZero

Dust off and nuke from space, it’s the only answer.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    zippykona

baking soda and vinegar paste.

Eat it ,rub it in or what?

molgrips
    Free Member

What’s the baking soda meant to do?

Sounds to me like people are getting carried away with the idea that baking soda and/or vinegar are the perfect solution for everything, and the evil chemical companies are just trying to pretend their expensive chemicals are better (at least, going by my facebook feed).

I get the crap bitten out of me regularly, so my advice to the OP is to apply coldness. An icecube works rather well on individual bites, but if they are all over try a cool bath or shower.

If you need to scratch, scratch in a circle around the lump not on it. This satisfies the itch to some extend but doesn’t inflame it which makes it worse.

joolsburger
    Free Member
    joolsburger
    Free Member
    pictonroad

Sellotape.

Seriously. It works, however I’ve only ever used it on patches, you may be too far gone..

saleem
    Free Member

Alcohol with cloves mixed in it works. Also for the bites you’ve already got, run a teaspoon under hot water until hot then press onto the bites, don’t be shy with the heat or pressure.

STL

Make a paste using water and salt (or meat tenderizer if u have it). Scrub into the bites with ur finger coated in this, lets you scratch and the salt breaks down the proteins in the bite site.

TheFlyingOx

2L plastic bottle, cut the top bit off and place to one side.
    In the bottom bit, dissolve a fair bit of brown sugar in hot water, then leave to cool.
    Add in some yeast, swirl it about to mix, then tape the top half of the bottle into the bottom half, upside down and with the lid off.

The yeast metabolises the sugar, releasing carbon dioxide (amongst other things). Midgies are attracted to CO2. They fly into the bottle cos of the CO2, and very few of them can get back out again due to the inverse funnel thingy.

Works a treat. You do need to change the mixture every week or so though.

globalti
    Free Member

Hay fever (antihistamine) tablets might help.

Squidlord
    Free Member

Some of the replies seem to assume OP carries a small branch of Tescos around with him.

On a more practical note, you might avoid this problem in future by travelling with a convenient insectivore. You could probably train a bat to sit on your shoulder. Or a frog on a lead would be entertaining company, especially if the lead was made out of bungee.

Flaperon

On a more practical note, you might avoid this problem in future by travelling with a convenient insectivore. You could probably train a bat to sit on your shoulder. Or a frog on a lead would be entertaining company, especially if the lead was made out of bungee.

Airport security already have a personal loathing for me, think taking a frog on a bungee might push them over the edge…

Cheers for the advice, camped outside Boots atm waiting for them to open but I can confirm that both ice-cubes and the hot teaspoon work. The ice is slightly less effective than the spoon, but lasts longer. Spent most of last night in the bath. 🙁

Klunk
    Free Member
    molgrips
    Free Member

Woot, two of my ideas get used 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Argh – ****** **** ***** ***** ***** mosquitos’ is closed to new replies.