Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Aren't swings rubbish these days?
  • glasgowdan
    Free Member

Bloody elfin safety has ruined things. Used to love getting as high as possible then having leap competitions. Now you’d be lucky to get one beyond horizontal. And being able to unwrap them was almost an initiation, allowing you to be one of the park team.

Bah.

Pigface
    Free Member

What about the Witches Hat, can’t bump them off the pole anymore if you can find one, to be fair they were lethal 😆

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

elfin safety has ruined things

Pretty sure he’s banned dude.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I got stuck in a kids swing once.

Aged about 26.

hairyscary

Being able to fully wind the swing around the top pole by jumping off from a standing swing always impressed the girls 8)

perchypanther
    Free Member

Bronco with full wrap

kimbers

Being able to fully wind the swing around the top pole by jumping off from a standing swing always impressed the girls

Not when you concussed yourself doing it
    I was very good at impressing girls

jruk
    Free Member

It’s not really a proper swing but there’s a spinny thing with swing seats in the local park that’s claimed 4+ broken bones in the last 12 months. It’s pretty new as well.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

its all about the roundabouts these days

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lwo9AvTA5xY[/video]

konabunny
    Free Member

What playgrounds is OP hanging around? The swings I see are just the same as lethal as the ones before – although the ground surface isn’t glass-studded knee-shredding rough Tarmac any more.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

konabunny, all the parks in east dunbartonshire have rubber collars around the top that move with the chain and stop the swing retaining any momentum. Google ‘anti-wrap swings’. Pah.

molgrips
    Free Member

What?

As konabunny, the ones by us are exactly the same as the ones we had as a kid.

joshvegas
    Free Member

erchypanther – Member
    Bronco with full wrap

Fifer?

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

Yeah quite a few round us have that friction collar on. A squirt of WD or silicone improves things though. Silicone spray also a laugh on the slides! 😈

Modern roundabouts are also often “braked”. Boils my piss….

allthegear
    Free Member

I love swings. If you’re ever at King’s Cross Station and notice a 40 ish woman who should know better on the swing outside, that’ll be me…

Rachel

glasgowdan
    Free Member

That birdcage looks seriously creepy Rachel!

konabunny
    Free Member

glasgowdan – Member
    konabunny, all the parks in east dunbartonshire have rubber collars around the top that move with the chain and stop the swing retaining any momentum. Google ‘anti-wrap swings’. Pah.

Pah indeed. btw shouldn’t you be eastdunbartonshiredan in that case?

mrfrosty
    Free Member

Mixed view on swings I’d say. They certainly have there ups and downs.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

konabunny – Member
    Pah indeed. btw shouldn’t you be eastdunbartonshiredan in that case?
    POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

I know, it’s insanity

glasgowdan
    Free Member

mr frosty – Member
    Mixed view on swings I’d say. They certainly have there ups and downs.

My thoughts on them are neither coming or going really.

tillydog
    Free Member

Silicone spray also a laugh on the slides!

One of Mrs Tillydog’s teenage jobs was spraying ‘Pledge’ on the Astroglide at the fair.

edhornby

when we were younger we went to a municipal theme park in Germany that was very minimally staffed and there was a mat-slide with no attendant and a big pile of mats to help yourself

I went down standing on the mat, mum and dad were at the bottom trying to look unimpressed and said I shouldn’t do it again 😀

GrahamS

Not like back in the day

hairyscary

Going past horizontal and coming down with a slap might be a bit risky on those /\ /\

matt_outandabout

We still build playgrounds with the fun designed in..

disben

So going to the swings in Estonia is a bit of an experience…

Kiiking (swinging) in Estonia

I had a damaged knee so couldn’t manage more than horizontal at best – however my BiL managed this… You are tied in, hands and feet, but you need that – the first swing is 5m tall and the second was 7m tall – these are professional event standard swings!

And other than straps, absolutely no H&S which is very refreshing!

bearnecessities

Sad gecko doesn’t like children.

tthew

If you like swings, you need to get yourself to the Crocky Trail. They have very many seriously dangerous swings, slides roundabouts and all sorts of stuff. It’s a bit expensive now, (presumably they were forced to get some kind of insurance, once upon a time was completely free)

Look at these for slides!

There’s also one that you start off on your stomach,(headfirst is best) goes vertical and then back on itself so you transition onto your back.
    edit – I just noticed, it’s the one near the middle of that photo.

Titanic is great, it’s basically a massive steel box, (bigger than a tipper truck body) with a slippy floor and nothing to hold on to. Everyone sits at the top, at which point it’s lifted up until everyone slides to a massive heap at the bottom. Works best when it’s really busy and people at the highest point fall first, skittling everyone below.

It’s at Waverton, just outside Chester. I’m getting excited just thinking about it.

riddoch

Bizarrely our nursery was marked down by ofsted for the lack of risk in their play area.
    A lot of playgrounds also seems to have very short chains on their swings limiting the swing.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Aren't swings rubbish these days?’ is closed to new replies.