Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Aren’t we all sick of people parking on the (Bristol) Downs?
  • Leku
    Free Member

Recently sent to the Highways Department in Bristol…

“Aren’t we all sick of people parking on the Downs? Why is it that this beautiful green space turns into a huge car park the moment the sun comes out?
    “The zoo is somehow allowed to let up to 600 cars park on the grass because there’s ‘nowhere else for them to go’: why don’t the punters get off their idle fat arses, park a bit further away and push those ridiculous monster buggies a few extra yards to the entrance? If they weren’t so ignorant and lazy and looked for parking elsewhere, they might notice that there’s a back entrance where they don’t have to queue for hours in the sweltering heat.
    “Of course, having the vast zoo car park cluttering up the Downs means that every Tom, Dick and Harry thinks he can park there as well. If it isn’t a bunch of braying students disturbing the peace with the shiny new Minis and BMWs that daddy bought, their indolent arrogant drawl drifting across the ether, then it’s a posse of crop-headed scum from Hartcliffe with their pathetic hatchbacks, 1,000-watt stereos draining the battery of energy and the rest of us of the will to live, or a vile suburban family from Bradley Stoke with matching Vauxhall Merivas and 1.2 fat ugly children guzzling prepackaged Aldi picnics off flimsy plastic trays before discarding all the rubbish on the grass – if they want to picnic with their car, why not take it to the nearest multi-storey?
    “Come on, powers-that-be, clamp the ****, take their cars away and crush them and leave the Downs as they were intended: a peaceful haven for the pursuit of its traditional pastimes – mugging, sodomy and rape.”

But not by me..

wwaswas

Aren’t we all sick of people parking on the (Bristol) Downs?

I must confess I haven’t been fretting about it.

nemesis
    Free Member

This seems rather more like a rather bitter stereotyping rant than something about sustainability, environment, etc. Try again and it might be worth paying some attention to.

almightydutch
    Free Member

Part of the reason my sister moved from High Street in Clifton was due to local access as it gets mental down there and her street can only take one car wide yet still people block it.

She’s now in Failand in a house 3 times the size of her Clifton property and has a reduced mortgage to boot.

Leku
    Free Member

CountZero

Inverse class warfare? Looks like posh nobs bitching about the rif-raf making the place look untidy.
    And no, it doesn’t bother me, but then, I live thirty-odd miles away.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Not sure if joke…or nutter.

😕

jambourgie
    Free Member

Edited. Did not read the brief.

Sandwich

Must take the dog for a walk up there and hang some offerings for the Fairies from the trees, that will irk them too.

( 😉 not if this weather keeps up).

Flaperon

vile suburban family from Bradley Stoke with matching Vauxhall Merivas and 1.2 fat ugly children guzzling prepackaged Aldi picnics off flimsy plastic trays

The bastards! How dare a family buy food from Aldi and enjoy it in the country.

benji
    Free Member

Because the best way to get something noticed and taken seriously is to swear and make wild stereotyped views 🙄

Got to wonder did OP tread something vile into their new carpets on their latest range rover (sorry if this isn’t a good enough stereotype OP).

joshvegas
    Free Member

Got to wonder if benji tread the last sentence.

nealglover
    Free Member

She’s now in Failand in a house 3 times the size of her Clifton property and has a reduced mortgage to boot.

And a nice local pub too.

benji
    Free Member

Got to wonder if benji tread the last sentence.

See what you did there, nice.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

I presume it was sent by some kind of Troll or by a friend of the rather unpleasant mayor – a man obsessed with localism or ‘Bristol only for the Bristolians’ instead of the regional centre of trade for the area that cities have traditionally tended to be.

• Aren’t we all sick of people parking on the Downs? Why is it that this beautiful green space turns into a huge car park the moment the sun comes out?
  • – Because the zoo (a conservation charity) pays to rent the space and the money goes to the upkeep of the downs. The zoo is actually under threat as the general clampdown on on street parking is going to seriously risk its continued existence – and therefore also the breeding programs for endangered species it participates in.

• “The zoo is somehow allowed to let up to 600 cars park on the grass because there’s ‘nowhere else for them to go’:
  • – The zoo is now involved with some kind of park and ride starting this year. The park and ride is a long way from the city. The zoo is attempting to at least partially move to Cribbs Causeway where parking is better available. There is no parking in the Clifton area, other than on street. Not a single car park, other than the one run by the zoo on its own grounds and the space it rents from the Downs. Perhaps people could use the bus – except there are very few services to the area – so few that businesses are looking to move out of Clifton if the residents parking zone is brought in, for the simple reason their staff cannot get there to work due to the very poor bus service.

• why don’t the punters get off their idle fat arses, park a bit further away and push those ridiculous monster buggies a few extra yards to the entrance?
  • – There is no ‘a bit further away’ parking is terrible in that area. Its why the Clifton traders are protesting so strongly against the mayors obsession with “residents parking only” to deter ‘commuters’ (until 9pm at night). Many businesses in the area fear they will be forced to close, due to the total non existence of alternative car parking other than on street.

• If they weren’t so ignorant and lazy and looked for parking elsewhere, they might notice that there’s a back entrance where they don’t have to queue for hours in the sweltering heat.
  • – The back entrance is rarely if ever open to the general public – in fact I think it is closed totally at the moment as they are doing major rebuilding of the zoos “schools education centre” in that zone. Also the zoo has just completed a major redevelopment of the front entrance to speed up queuing.

• “Of course, having the vast zoo car park cluttering up the Downs
  • – The car park takes up a very small percentage of many acres.

• means that every Tom, Dick and Harry thinks he can park there as well. If it isn’t a bunch of braying students disturbing the peace with the shiny new Minis and BMWs that daddy bought, their indolent arrogant drawl drifting across the ether, then it’s a posse of crop-headed scum from Hartcliffe with their pathetic hatchbacks, 1,000-watt stereos draining the battery of energy and the rest of us of the will to live, or a vile suburban family from Bradley Stoke with matching Vauxhall Merivas and 1.2 fat ugly children guzzling prepackaged Aldi picnics off flimsy plastic trays before discarding all the rubbish on the grass – if they want to picnic with their car, why not take it to the nearest multi-storey?
  • – Troll. The nearest multi story is about a mile away – the last 2 times I used it, one car had its windows smashed in and was clearly robbed, next time I saw the guy who was breaking in. I reported it and no one cared, even though he was still stealing from the car. Its the West End car park if anyone else wants to avoid it.

• “Come on, powers-that-be, clamp the ****, take their cars away and crush them and leave the Downs as they were intended: a peaceful haven for the pursuit of its traditional pastimes – mugging, sodomy and rape.”
  • – Cheerful soul aren’t they. I guess thats what the many many local football teams are doing up there on a Wednesday and Sunday along with the kite fliers, joggers, dog walkers and picnickers, who all somehow manage to fit on the many acres not used by the comparatively small zoo car park. However just to cheer the troll up, there is a rumour that they will restrict car parking or make people pay parking fees on all the Downs roads – so even less poor people on tight budgets will be able to take their kids out and clutter up what was intended to be a public space when it was gifted to the city. So that plan to sell off small local parks round the poorer areas of Bristol (for developers benefit), as the less well off could travel up to the Downs etc is working out just fine…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Aren’t we all sick of people parking on the (Bristol) Downs?’ is closed to new replies.

Overview Chat Bike Members News Women