Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Area sales jobs within the cycling industry where to look / bikebiz ?
  • shredder
    Free Member

Currently working as an area sales devlopment manager. Where can I look for roles within the cycling industry. I am aware of bikebiz but it appaears to only be available if you are in the trade. Would love to investigate any opportunities as I feel my experience could cross over well.

Thanks for any advice

mudpup
    Free Member

I am quite surprised that a good sales development manager has to ask an online forum because he can't find the phone number of some distributors and ask to speak to the sales director/manager!!!!!!

😉

shredder
    Free Member

Ha like it mudpup of course I will be going down that route. Just wanted to expand my search further by gaining leads on here, just what a good development manager should be doing !! 😉 And as you are in the industry any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Bikebiz job ads are open to the public, the forum is the closed piece.

project
    Free Member
    shredder
    Free Member

Thanks will investigate further.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Sorry, just to add, many of the "best" jobs in the bike industry go to people in the know, rather than through adverts. Best bet is to get talking to every bike shop and every distributor and ask nicely…!

mudpup
    Free Member

Where are you looking to work Shredder?
    The only reasonable one around at the mo is for Silverfish in SE England.
    Capn Flashheart is right – the first thing that happens when they are looking is that a director will call a few known accounts in the area and ask who their best rep is. Much easier/better to poach an existing "face" than it is to take a chance on a newbie with no trade experience. It frequently takes a new guy 12 months to gain trust with dealers whereas a known guy just needs a few days to get going.
    You need a lot of luck to get a break into the trade at that level. Try an in house telesales/support role for 12 months and then try to move into the role you really want.
    Having said all that, it does happen – i had no experience but knew my way round a bike, had some people skills and had a right place/right time moment with a sales director who took a risk with me.
    Its the best job in the world if you can do it – loads of great characters, weirdos, challenges and fun.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Its the best job in the world if you can do it – loads of great characters, weirdos, challenges and fun.

+1. I loved my time repping in the trade. Great fun, great people! (Shame about the money, though…)

shredder
    Free Member

Thanks some great advice here and I will take it on board. mudpup I live in West Yorkshire and my current area, extends up into Scotland over to Ireland and down as far as Birmingham. So quite a large area so would be looking for roles with area's in or around the same.

Thanks
    Rich

mudpup
    Free Member

You can earn a very good wage if you have the right company/area.
    Shredder – don't know of much happening around there at the moment, sorry – although i don't work up there so wouldn't be in the loop really.

shredder
    Free Member

Once again thanks.
    Rich

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Area sales jobs within the cycling industry where to look / bikebiz ?’ is closed to new replies.