Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Are your interests more Northern European or Southern?
  • SaxonRider

What I mean is that when people think about travelling to the Continent, they seem to be divisible into the sort that think in terms of visiting Spain, Portugal, Italy, or Greece (you know: the ones who like sun and the Mediterranean), and those that look more to the Hansa-type cities of the North such as Bruges, Amsterdam, Copenhagen, or wherever.

I know that it’s not like they are mutually exclusive, but I, personally, have far less interest in what lies south of the Pyrenees and Alps than I do in what lies North. I tend to think in terms of going to places like Scandinavia, Germany, and the Slavic countries. Part of it has to do with my own connections and roots, and part of it is probably a reaction to the irrationality of hot-blooded Latin-Mediterranean folk as opposed to the cool rationality of the Germans 😉 , but in any case, which do you tend towards and why?

ourmaninthenorth

I like both, though Jonathan Meades presents a compelling argument for The North:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw6J9bYQ4XY[/video]

SaxonRider

Bar the lip-syncing bit, what an excellent documentary. Thanks for that, ourmaninthenorth. It is exactly what I was getting at. 8)

ourmaninthenorth

You can buy a copy, along with many other excellent documentaries by Meades, HERE. I have it and it’s typically excellent of Meades.

The Magnetic North films are particularly good.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Are your interests more Northern European or Southern?’ is closed to new replies.