Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)
  • "Are you tough enough" Army CU Enduro on 15th July
  • m1kea
    Free Member

Anyone done one of these events before?

Thinking of doing the 4 hour option but haven’t done a daylight solo race since 1997 so kind of out of touch on what to expect.

Any hints and tips gratefully accepted.

allthepies
    Free Member

It’s a bit like a nighttime solo race but you can see where you’re going.

HTH 😉

m1kea
    Free Member

It’s a bit like a nighttime solo race but you can see where you’re going.

HTH

Very good 🙄 😛

My last two MTB ‘races’ have been Thetford D2D and not solo, so not really a fair comparison.

weeksy

Might have some of this… i’ve just texted my mate. He did it once when i had man-flu and couldn’t make it.

DenDennis
    Free Member

I did it a few years ago and thought it was really good. 4hrs.

Like a sweet gorrick/swinley race course, nice flowing bits and nothing too tech, but stays interesting over the 4 hours.
    very well organised and friendly- would deffo recommend.

lucien

Logs on to Gorrick site to enter….. 8)

Taff
    Free Member

I can’t remember if I did 2 or 4 hours last year but it was a fun course. Bit sandy so went over a fair few times.

matt-lewis
    Free Member

Well worth doing. It’s a great event. I’m down for the 6hr solo.

Looking forward to it and excellent value for money.

Matt Lewis

m1kea
    Free Member

I can’t remember if I did 2 or 4 hours last year but it was a fun course. Bit sandy so went over a fair few times.

Sounds like a man after my own heart. 😆

Having just gone 2 X 10 12/36 will I be utterly at sea with gearing / breathing out of my @rse within the first 20 secs / booking a coronary after 15 mins?

shortcut

It’s great fun. The venue provides for some excellent riding with a lot of climbing and descending each lap and around 75 or 80% single track.

The course is usually fairly dry to.

In for 6hr pairs.

Jason
    Free Member

Planning to enter for the 6hr solo. I haven’t raced for more than 1.5hrs so far this year so that should be interesting.

I have raced it every year so far, and it has always been a great event with a very good course with a few little drops and tricky bits, but nothing too difficult.

pants
    Free Member

Yeah, not a bad event, well worth a visit and cheap as chips to enter! 😆 Recession busting event!

shortcut

So – who is coming?

The course should be good this year.

pants
    Free Member

2 weeks today and you will be sitting at home thinking what a great race, course and could I have done better and pushed it a bit more to get those extra laps and places in! See you soon folks!

pants
    Free Member

Is that because you had a hand in the course this year, with all that time on your hands? 🙂 It’s always a good course!

m1kea
    Free Member

So, what tyres? 😉

I’ve never ridden in this area but suspect my usual Panny Razrs might be a bit slick, especially with the fab summer we’ve had so far?

Other choices are Bonty Mud X, Maxxis Aspens and IIRC some Panny Cinders / Fire XC that I have buried somewhere.

DT78
    Free Member

Prob in for 6 hr solo, but entering on the day, can’t trust the wrather. Did gorrick 100 in terrible conditions 2 years ago, no fun and the bike needed a few hundred.pounds worth.of maintence afterwards.

shortcut

The sand content at Porridgepot is completely different to that at Swinley it doesn’t eat bikes as quick and dries out a lot faster.

As to tyres – what ever you like should be OK. It never gets clingy even in the depths of winter. Rons and Ralph’s should be fine to give you some idea, I am expecting to be on CrossMarks.

Looking forward to it!

weeksy

I’m still waiting to see if i have a riding partner 🙁 looking unlikely at the moment so will be waiting on the weather on going for entry on the day. I was hoping to do the 6 hour pair, but if i’m on my own i’ll go for either the 4 hour solo or 6 hour solo.

pants
    Free Member

I have spoken to the weather gods and all will be fine!!! 🙂

davetrave
    Free Member

Get back to work CSM…! 😉

pants
    Free Member

Ha Ha, at least I am at work! 😀

So, what tyres then will you be using……Me Maxxis Ignitors.

TiRed

Will do three or four hours, and the kids can do one or two for the eldest 😈 . I have a work road ride the day before of 150k, so will have to tread carefully on the domestic front.

pants
    Free Member

Getting with the times, now have a Facebook page!

Are You Tough Enough that is.

AYTE

pants
    Free Member

OK then, One week to push in the busy MTB Calendar and then it’s AYTE! A lot of Course prep this week to make it a most enjoyable experience for all!!

Will keep you updated on course conditions throughout the week! 🙂

br
    Free Member

I did the 6 hours a few years ago, good course and well organised. Just paced myself, a lap an hour with a stop/snack after each lap.

shortcut

Weather is looking promising – could be worse!

And it dries reasonably well!

TiRed

Team Tired Gorilla are signed up. Me in the 2hr Singlespeed, Son1 in the 14-16yo and Son2 in the fun race.

You have an hour to enter before the price goes up.

DT78
    Free Member

Have you photoshopped that image, don’t believe we will see sun this summer…

m1kea
    Free Member

Now if I’d been really clever / stupid, I should have entered the ACU 25 on P881/25, and then popped up afterwards.

Keep us posted with weather updates s’il vous plait

shortcut

Here ya go. Broken down for Sunday. Not too bad!

Ps not photoshopped!

weeksy

I won’t be playing. I was out for 2 hours yesterday and it was just muddy beyond all words. Throw in them couple of wet days before hand and in all honesty i just can’t find the enthusiasm for 6 hours of mud !

shortcut

Will get some pics on course later and post up tomorrow. Should be fine – it does drain ok and we are gonna put some drainage in the puddles tomorrow – around Pamts Way Round and Pants Way Down – those are as bad as it gets, and they are fine.

TiRed

Any chance of a GPX? I want a virtual partner to chase 😉

pants
    Free Member

No GPX against MoD License rules 😀

However having rode and finalised the course last night, even I was surprised to see the lack of Mud!!!

shortcut

Did a lap last night. Bikes are fine, couple of muddy puddles.

Certainly NOT a mudfest. It’ll be fine.

m1kea
    Free Member

Cool, though do we get our money back if it is in any way muddy? 😉 😆

weeksy

interesting… although i’ve just had a new fairing arrive for my Yamaha R1. lol

coopersport1
    Free Member

What no mud!? Sod that I’m off to Essex to trash and drivetrain…

jimification
    Free Member

Thanks for the conditions report, Shortcut. Much appreciated!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘"Are you tough enough" Army CU Enduro on 15th July’ is closed to new replies.