Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)
  • are you the type of person who can forgive?
  • ton

or are you a bitter twisted type of person, with a heart of stone?

Coyote
    Free Member

It would depend on the trangression.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Forgive? ……..always

Forget? ……….never. Gary Barlow taught me that.

mikedabear
    Free Member

I don’t let hatred or anger fester in my mind. life is to short.

wwaswas

I forgive others but rarely myself.

I forget others transgressions but never my own.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’m sorry, Ton. I know I’ve said it so many times since it happened, but I really am sorry.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Somewhere in the middle. I forgive but pull back from the person a little

mrlebowski
    Free Member

What have you done??

ton

What have you done??

nothing. it has been done to me.

jamj1974

Not as much as I would like and generally not myself…

satchm00
    Free Member

Whats up Ton? Feeling bitter about something?

rOcKeTdOg

listening to the J Vine show? the example there was truly astounding, i couldn’t forgive that. infact i can carry a grudge for ever

ElShalimo

it really depends on who did it and what it was – some people need second chances

listening to the J Vine show?

some people deserve no chances

ton

RD, I was. I made me think about something that I was told by a family member last year. it did not seem to bother me then, as I had too much on my plate to deal with at the time.
    but now, I am **** seething about it. I am not a angry person, but this had got me.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Most things yes. But not wearing gym pumps on an aeroplane.

binners

Our kid has a great theory. She says you have a mental black book of people who’ve really properly had you over. Their name goes in it, then you forget about them. Never think about them again. Don’t waste your energy worrying about them and what they did. Don’t pursue them. To quote Frozen, let it go…..

But play the long game. And should your paths cross again, and you happen to be in a position where the opportunity arises for some form of revenge, then the ****er will rue the ****ing day!!

So I suppose that comes down to

Forget? Yes.
    Forgive? Not for the truly deserving, no.

There are two names in my black book

bodgy
    Free Member

Friends come and go; enemies accumulate.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Mostly yes, I’ll forgive loved ones almost immediately, people disrespecting my stuff seems to wind me up the most, I always looked after my stuff as a kid and as an adult, I hate to see it, however small and worthless being mistreated – but I’ll only hold a grudge for a few hours.

There have been a small number of things done to me in the past that I will never forgive, I don’t let them bother me, I forget them for months, even years at a time but in a small number, of these small number of transgressions I will take my revenge if a situation presents itself without mercy or regret.

slowster
    Free Member

If someone had treated me very badly but failed to acknowledge the seriousness of what they had done, and did not show genuine contrition and did not – as far as possible – attempt to put things right, then I would find it difficult, if not impossible, to forgive them.

I think that letting go of the past and acceptance of/coming to terms with what has been done, to prevent being consumed with self-harming bitterness, is a different thing, and that does not make it necessary to forgive the transgressor.

footflaps

Forgive, forget? Never….

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i0u4jFmE78[/video]

matt_outandabout

I am torn on this one. There are some people that I will happily never meet again.
    Would I go ‘out of my way’ to harm them or harm myself by keeping angry? No, there are too many positive things to do in life.
    Perhaps you now have an insight into how I deal with things – move on and ignore. And go for a ride/paddle/hill day….

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I cherish my ability to forgive, it frees me.

Spin
    Free Member

I’m sorry, Ton. I know I’ve said it so many times since it happened, but I really am sorry.

You don’t need to apologise, 52% of men experience it at some point.

bodgy
    Free Member

@slowster – spot on, on both counts, but your thoughts on acknowledging the seriousness and showing genuine contrition are particularly pertinent.

bikebouy
    Free Member

perchypanther – Member
    Forgive? ……..always

Forget? ……….never. I taught me that.

Sums me up.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Amen to that Ernie

What’s the more soulful choice OP ? …. there’s your answer

Peace

RustySpanner

Forgiveness is over rated.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Rusty Spanner – Member

Forgiveness is over rated.

So you didn’t get a kite then?

Northwind

I’m very hard to really properly anger, but when people manage it, I’m not sure I ever really forgive it, not properly. So it probably works out well on balance, in terms of unforgiven people or whatever, but I suppose it’s still not all that healthy! Interesting though. Good question!

angeldust
    Free Member

If they withheld pudding, or were not particularly enthusiastic about the gift of powerkite/London poppy, than can forget about forgiveness.

chewkw
    Free Member

ton – Member

Minor daily stuff the answer is yes on all matters coz that’s life. i.e. foolish idiotic stuff without danger to lives or livelihood.

Harm my family then the answer is no unless the person(s) can turn back the clock. i.e. harm that is highly intentional, planed and premeditated causing danger to lives and livelihood.

andybrad

ton – Member

YES

nickc

Lifes too short to hold anger for longer than. A moment, and also those folk who you haven’t forgiven?…I bet they don’t care

funkmasterp

Anger is an emotion that’s part of our makeup, it’s how it is directed that can be the issue. It would depend on how I’d been wronged and to what degree as to whether I’d forgive. I never forget though regardless of how hard I may try.

SaxonRider

I always try, and normally can after a time. It’s not really in my nature to hold a grudge, and will often see where I myself have been at fault. That’s not a virtue; it’s just a personality thing.

ton

if you believed something for 49 years of your life, but were then told it was a lie, and were told the truth by the person who had lied to you. that is the scenario.

alexxx
    Free Member

Still totally depends doesn’t it…. did they eat your pie or did they do wrong by you in a sinister or horrific manor that makes you want to never speak to them again?

Time is a healer and if 49 years have passed fine and dandy and you can crack on then do so… if you feel sick thinking about it then do something!

Seriously though that pie would have been too old to eat by now anyway!

iainc

I am about same age as you ton, If I had found out last year that my dad was Donald Trump, then no, to both 🙂

binners

Fish pie?

ton

iainc……you ****…pissing myself 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘are you the type of person who can forgive?’ is closed to new replies.