• This topic has 78 replies, 40 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by mtbel.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • Are you scared of the dark?
  • mtbel
    Free Member

I’m not, I’m kinda black and white on most things so I just don’t really understand why any adult would be?
    Can folk who are please explain it to me? What are you scared of? and is it like a phobia? as it just seems completely irrational to me.

jam-bo

I like it. Night ride on my own a fair bit and quite often stop and turn my lights off for a bit just to see how dark the woods get.

Caher

I don’t like flying and that’s irrational and inexplicable to most.

Cougar

is it like a phobia?

Presumably it’s not “like” a phobia but is, in fact, a phobia.

jam-bo

Caher – Member
    I don’t like flying and that’s irrational and inexplicable to most.
    POSTED 3 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Planes crash and people die all the time.

The dark won’t kill you.

butcher

I like the dark, but it can be creepy at times. I ride some pretty remote areas and it’s often in the back of my mind that I could bump into some unsavoury characters who may just want to take advantage of the low light… I’ve always felt much safer away from the roads and away from people, but maybe that’s another fear all together? I think that’s partly rational though. Maybe partly exaggerated too.

I do sometimes get creeped out round the house after lights out too mind. But I think that goes back to watching too many horror movies as a kid.

mtbel
    Free Member

I thought phobias were pathological fears Cougar.

mtbel
    Free Member

Thanks Butcher, that’s more the sort of thing I was wondering.

Cougar

I thought phobias were pathological fears Cougar.

You’ll have to elaborate on that.

Or rather, you won’t, I just don’t know what you mean.

mtbel
    Free Member

I’ve bumped into unsavoury characters lots, rarely in the dark and almost never anywhere remote. I wonder what makes you think the way you do.

Cougar

The dark won’t kill you.

But it can hide things that might.

hora
    Free Member

On my second solo ride I turned off my lights and sat looking at the lights of Blackpool to Manchester in the distance. Darkness is a leveller.

maxtorque

Those stringy bits on bananas. oh, the HORROR!!

jam-bo

So can cupboards. Are you scared of cupboards?

Cougar

What can hide in a cupboard and kill you?

Cougar

Well, all right, many things. What is likely to hide in a cupboard and kill you, I mean.

mtbel
    Free Member

Sorry, Cougar do you mean you don’t know what pathological means?
    I’m using the definition “manifesting behavior that is habitual, maladaptive, and compulsive” 😉

mtbel
    Free Member

I like darkness. I find it calming. that and the sea. I often sat on the rocks down by the beach at night staring out to sea for hours on my own as a kid.

fasthaggis

What is likely to hide in a cupboard and kill you, I mean.

A Dyson

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Its probably hard wired into us because lots of predators in Africa come out to play at night.

Vern0n
    Free Member

The mind can play some funny tricks on you, more so in the dark. With that in mind, whenever you might worry about bumping into a nutter in the middle of nowhere, more often than not, you might be the ‘nutter’ by the fact that your are there…

Cougar

Sorry, Cougar do you mean you don’t know what pathological means?

I know what the word means, I don’t know what it means in the context you’re using it.

Now you’ve explained, I’m not sure as I’m any nearer. Phobias are habitual fears? No doubt, most fears are. Is “irrational” a better word?

Cougar

A Dyson

I need to stop drinking.

Or start.

One or the other, certainly.

Cougar

Its probably hard wired into us because lots of predators in Africa come out to play at night.

You just need a big army bloke with a minigun.

mtbel
    Free Member

possibly.. it just seems an awfully common fear but not actually all that debilitating for most. Personally I just wouldn’t have called it phobia unless it was a lot more severe. I could be wrong. like I said I’m kinda black and white in my thoughts on a lot of things.

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

What can hide in a cupboard and kill you?

A precariously balanced catering tin of spaghetti hoops

mtbel
    Free Member

would need to be an awfully tall cupboard for a tin of spaghetti hoops to even knock you out. even the largest catering tin.

colournoise

Often walk the dogs at night with no torch etc. Absolutely fine. Put me on a bike in the dark with a few hundred lumens at my disposal and I go all wobbly. Will happily ride solo at night and actually quite like it but often feel a bit uneasy.

Not sure whether it’s the moving shadows as you ride through the trees, or the fact that the dogs add a potential layer of safety…

The mind is a wonderful thing, but it’s also a naughty little gremlin.

hora
    Free Member

I keep armed attack droids in my cupboards.

I do sometimes worry if the access programme codes fall into the wrong hands.

RustySpanner

Cougar – Moderator

The dark won’t kill you.

True dat.
    Like very, very big drops.
    Ever done the woken up in the morning, ‘Arrrgh, look what I nearly fell/rode off’ thing?
    Awful.
    Arse like a Morecamb Bay Prawn, sick feeling in stomach etc…..

hora – Member
    Darkness is a leveller.

And rhythm is a dancer.

Darkness is a great friend to the terminally ugly.
    I like the dark.
    🙂

mtbel
    Free Member

Ah… Now you mention it. years and years ago I rode to a girlfriends parents after work. it was about 90 miles of country roads so by the last few miles it was the middle of the night and very dark, I’d not had enough to eat and was feeling almost delirious. just before rounding corner before the final climb I looked to my right and saw a shadow, kind of like a large animal and it was moving at the same speed as me, I stood up to sprint away and it suddenly got more animated and sped up too. it finally clicked that there was a main A road running parallel but lower to the lane I was riding and the beasts shadow was actually mine! 😳 pissed myself laughing all the way up the climb. 😆

So yeah, I do get that shadows can give you a fright, but they can give you a fright in daylight too.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Chuck Norris uses a night light. Not because Chuck Norris is afraid of the dark, but because the dark is afraid of Chuck Norris.

Darkness is a great friend to the terminally ugly.

Which is another reason to be afraid, very afraid

yunki
    Free Member

I’m scared of people that only see things in black or white…

that is some truly insane **** up shit

Sometimes I’m scared of the dark… other times I hide in it waiting for you

samunkim
    Free Member

Walking back from a mates house a couple of years ago about 2am after watching a pay per view boxing match.

I turned down a short side street in order to loop back to my place when I first noticed him. At the far end of the street, on my side, was the silhouette of a man, dancing. It was a strange dance, similar to a waltz, but he finished each “box” with an odd forward stride. I guess you could say he was dance-walking, headed straight for me.
    Deciding he was probably drunk, I stepped as close as I could to the road to give him the majority of the footpath to pass me on. The closer he got, the more I realized how gracefully he was moving. He was very tall and lanky, and wearing an old suit. He danced closer still, until I could make out his face. His eyes were open wide and wild, head tilted back slightly, looking off at the sky. His mouth was formed in a painfully wide cartoon of a smile. Between the eyes and the smile, I decided to cross the street before he danced any closer.
    I took my eyes off of him to cross the empty street. As I reached the other side, I glanced back… and then stopped dead in my tracks. He had stopped dancing and was standing with one foot in the street, perfectly parallel to me. He was facing me but still looking skyward. Smile still wide on his lips.
    I was completely and utterly unnerved by this. I started walking again, but kept my eyes on the man. He didn’t move.
    Once I had put about half a block between us, I turned away from him for a moment to watch the sidewalk in front of me. The street and sidewalk ahead of me were completely empty. Still unnerved, I looked back to where he had been standing to find him gone. For the briefest of moments I felt relieved, until I noticed him. He had crossed the street, and was now slightly crouched down. I couldn’t tell for sure due to the distance and the shadows, but I was certain he was facing me. I had looked away from him for no more than 10 seconds, so it was clear that he had moved fast.
    I was so shocked that I stood there for some time, staring at him. And then he started moving toward me again. He took giant, exaggerated tip toed steps, as if he were a cartoon character sneaking up on someone. Except he was moving very, very quickly.
    I’d like to say at this point I ran away or pulled out my pepper spray or my cellphone or anything at all, but I didn’t. I just stood there, completely frozen as the smiling man crept toward me.
    And then he stopped again, about a car length away from me. Still smiling his smile, still looking to the sky.
    When I finally found my voice, I blurted out the first thing that came to mind. What I meant to ask was, “What the **** do you want?!” in what I hoped angry, tone. “What the fuu…?”
    Regardless of whether or not humans can smell fear, they can certainly hear it. I heard it in my own voice, and that only made me more afraid. But he didn’t react to it at all. He just stood there, smiling.
    And then, after what felt like forever, he turned around, very slowly, and started dance-walking away. Just like that. Not wanting to turn my back to him again, I just watched him go, until he was far enough away to almost be out of sight. And then I realized something. He wasn’t moving away anymore, nor was he dancing. I watched in horror as the distant shape of him grew larger and larger. He was coming back my way. And this time he was running.
    I ran too.
    I ran until I was off of the side road and back onto a better lit road with sparse traffic. Looking behind me then, he was nowhere to be found. The rest of the way home, I kept glancing over my shoulder, always expecting to see his stupid smile, but he was never there.
    I lived in that city for six months after that night, and I never went out for another walk. There was something about his face that always haunted me. He didn’t look drunk, he didn’t look high. He looked completely and utterly insane.

No I don’t like the dark !!

mtbel
    Free Member

pills mate

mtbel
    Free Member

and I like you too Yunki 😉

jakd95
    Free Member

I swear I’ve read that somewhere on reddit..

Edit: yeah, that one that mikewsmith linked.

samunkim
    Free Member

Not even for a minute ?

Just knew I should of replaced the “sidewalk” before pasting it in

Damn

winston
    Free Member

I’ve got a superb ghost story which happened to me and I’m not going to repeat, but I treasure the memory

Even so, I love the dark – up on the fells, in the forest, sailing, kayaking – if its dark so much the better. Nothing gives you the feeling that you are part of the earth than being at home in the dark.

Obviously this only works in wilderness situations – being on my own in a city at night generally scares the bejeesus out of me

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Are you scared of the dark?’ is closed to new replies.