Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Are you running an On One Whippet singlespeed with 32:16 gearing…?
  • p7rich
    Free Member

…well maybe you can help me? I have a KMC Z510 HX chain, which is fine links/length-wise…until it stretches. Once it stretches the wheel has to come out in the dropout a couple of mm and the pads no longer make full contact with all the rotor (brakes are Shimano Deore M595). The caliper will not move any further along its dropout fixing as the rear caliper bolt hits the frame. Removing a link makes Mr Chain too short.

Any hoo, my question is…what chain are you running? Especially if you’re using the same calipers.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

I am not running a Whippet but, won’t all chains start the same length and then stretch from there? I suspect the problem will either be solved with different brakes, with a different rotor size? Or more cheaply and easily, a half link on the chain?

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Get yourself a half link!

b-a-c-o-n
    Free Member

All chains will have the exact same distance between links (give or take a manufacturing tolerance( unless you go half link…..or get out the Dremel !!!

mr_mills
    Free Member

I’ve got a Whippet with 32:16 and I might even have the same chain as you. I had problems getting the chain tension right at first and sorted it by putting a half link in the chain. Worked perfectly.

p7rich
    Free Member

Chain drove me nearly mad at first whilst trying diff combos of links and cog teeth sizes. Add a link, take out a link, add a link…aaaggghhhhh!! Anyone direct me to a half link that will work for my chain? Are they universal? Maybe I need a KMC-specific one?

mr_mills
    Free Member

I just mentioned it in my LBS and he gave me a length of half-link chain so I used a link from that. Any will do as long as it’s for the correct chain size i.e. 1/8″.

andyl
    Free Member

tada: answer to everyones single speed chain length problems: http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/kmc-half-link-279-p.asp

get the 3/32″ one for the chain you have.

mr_mills
    Free Member

That will do the trick but it’s an expensive way of doing it. Try and find a bit of left over half link chain first like I did. Also isn’t that chain 1/8″ not 3/32″? I think it is but best to check.

andyl
    Free Member

ahh yep, that chain is 1/8″ – I was thinking of the 610 which is the narrower one which is quite commonly used on mtb conversions.

In which case go for the 1/8″ for your chain. It’s only £2.99 and delivered for free and comes next day.

p7rich
    Free Member

Thanks peop’s…out of stock though 🙁

Andy-R

This is the best solution – just use it with two master links. It’s much more secure than the normal half-link, it’s all I consider using.

Like this –

Not my photo BTW – I only have one master link each side and I always have my spring clips with the closed end facing forwards 😉

simon1975

Shirley that’s 3 master links…

I do the same on my Pompino to run it at 39:16. I bought a full half-link chain in 3/32″ flavour to rob a link out of each time I change the chain. It seemed better value than buying the half-links on their own… PM me if you need a 3/32″ half-link!

mr_mills
    Free Member

p7rich – I might have a couple of spare half links I can give you. E-mail me if interested.

p7rich
    Free Member

Thanks all.

@Simon. Chain is 1/8″…but thanks anyway.

@Mr Mills. Email on the way. Mucho appreciado.

p7rich
    Free Member

All sorted. Half-link added, all running fine, and a nice warming felling in my tummy ref helpfulness of STW. 🙂

mr_mills
    Free Member

8)

takisawa2

Once I came around to realising a bit of slack in the chain isn’t worth losing sleep over, life improved no end.

Sure your not being too picky are you ?

p7rich
    Free Member

The diff with a single link was waaaay beyond a “bit of slack” with this chain. Best compromise was running with the pads only contacting 2/3 of the rotor surface. Ran fine for nearly a year but decided to sort it properly hence this thread.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Are you running an On One Whippet singlespeed with 32:16 gearing…?’ is closed to new replies.