Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Are you running 120mm frame with 140mm forks?
  • jamiesilo
    Free Member

if so, what frame?
    how is it?
    got a hardtail i want to swap the frame out for and an fs but an older/cheaper one. things like a hemlock come to mind. or an older trance.
    forks are pike 454 u-turns

I_Ache
    Free Member

No but I am running a 140mm Stumpjumper fsr frame with 160mm Lyriks. Its ace.

Your forks are u-turn so dont worry about it. if 140 doesnt feel right just run the forks at 120. it wont harm the way they work.

jamiesilo
    Free Member

well aye, that’s part of the reason i want ot try it

gonzy
    Free Member

i’ve got a Da Bomb Da Pukka with 140mm at the rear and a 170mm Bomber 55CR up front

its a bit of a bitch going uphill but going down its awesome!! 😆

smokey_jo

Running a 120mm Kona frame with 130mm forks – works fine, if anything glad it’s made it a bit less twitchy on the steep stuff

richmtb

Running 100mm Superlight frame with 120mm fork. Its fine, rides a bit better.

20mm is about 1 degree of HA. So noticeable but not likely to radically alter the ride and handling

richmtb

forks are pike 454 u-turns

So if it feels a but slack and vague then wind the fork down a little bit

You’ll be grand, no one will die

jamiesilo
    Free Member

thanks all, not worried about whether it’ll work. fairly sure of that.
    more looking for frame reccomendations for that combo.

davosaurusrex

140mm Pike on a 125mm Turner Sultan here. Rides smashing, slackens it out a bit which is a bonus. 51mm offset forks to help it turn.

Saccades
    Free Member

Well 2 pople on here will tell you a merida transmission LRS (120mm travel) with 150mm forks on is the awesome.

Mind you I used to ride 100mm blur with 150mm forks too!

chakaping
    Free Member

Trance X would be good.

Had an older 100mm Trance and 140mm forks made the BB too high I thought, considering it was a short bike anyway.

Maybe get a angle adjust headset or offset bushes too?

chakaping
    Free Member

What’s your budget anyway? Some quite new FS frames are cheap now due to wheel size inflation.

cakefacesmallblock

Oddly enough I run a 100mm Trance with 140mm a revelation . Running them at about 30% sag . 760mm bar 70mm stem.

I did have to adapt my riding to get up steeps without the front wheel lofting, no bad thing really, it taught me to climb better I think, a few tweeks to stem and saddle position in a layback dropper post and all is good.

Frankly for me it’s transformed it into a bike which I really like as opposed to the one I bought and worked out how it needed upgrading to suit me.

In my case , the slightly raised bb seems to have reduced pedal strikes. Either that, or just maybe, I’ve become a slightly less rubbish rider !

jamiesilo
    Free Member

not quite new frame sized is my budget. also not for right now, need to sell some stuff first..
    am hoping it will be under £200

mrbelowski
    Free Member

I’m running a 120mm Boardman FS with a 140mm Revelation. Seems to work nicely, but the front can be a bit vague on the steep climbs

PJM1974
    Free Member

Yep, I’m running a Spesh Camber with Rockshox Revelations, wound down to 135mm travel, which seems to be the sweet spot.

teethgrinder

2009 FSRxc – originally 120mm F&R
    Now – 160mm Lyrik up front and a 200x57mm shock at back giving 152mm (I think – original 120mm was with 185x45mm).

Running offset bushes to slacked it out a bit, and it also reduces the length of the shock a bit. Descends far better now, A bit more work on the uphills but with the added bonus of fewer pedal strikes on rocks and roots now.

And now I know it works, I can be on the save for a CCBD Inline.

FOG

Not yet but as soon as I have some spare cash I am putting some 140s on the 29er Trance which currently has 120mm in a desperate attempt to cut pedal strikes. I realise it will be a bit of a trade off when climbing. The front wheel will presumably lift more but I am hoping not to grind to a halt on technical rutted climbs when it becomes impossible to turn the pedals.
    My last FS came with 100mm forks which I increased to 120 with only beneficial effects, in fact I think it would have taken 140 with little problem

kayak23

140mm Pikes on a Dialled Prince Albert here (which is aimed at 120-140mm)
    It’s boss…

jamiesilo
    Free Member

they’re making FS prince alberts now? 😀

emac65
    Free Member

Oddly enough I run a 100mm Trance with 140mm a revelation . Running them at about 30% sag . 760mm bar 70mm stem.

I did have to adapt my riding to get up steeps without the front wheel lofting, no bad thing really, it taught me to climb better I think, a few tweeks to stem and saddle position in a layback dropper post and all is good.

Frankly for me it’s transformed it into a bike which I really like as opposed to the one I bought and worked out how it needed upgrading to suit me

Me too,bought mine as a frame & ran it with 130mm U-turn Revs from the off,loved it !Tried it with the forks wound down to 100 & it rode terrible TBH..

jamiesilo
    Free Member

so what year(s) are the 100mm trance frames from?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

140 on an old 120 stumpy, quite honestly couldn’t feel the difference.

richwales

Alltricks have cheap Santa Cruz nickels that would work with 140-150mm forks. Got a 125mm solo with 140mm forks and it’s a great combination, bit limited on proper dh tracks but still doable. Spot on for everything else

jamiesilo
    Free Member

hmm, 800 quid is a bit more than under 200, but thanks anyway!

cakefacesmallblock

My Trance is a 2008. Same basic shape as the 2009 trance x 120mm ,

Still on its original air can , cranks and ( believe it or not, 5000 miles later) avid Juicy brakes, got quite “good” at keeping those bled and working well !

EDIT: please note for ” good” read: Stubborn and skint.

emac65
    Free Member

so what year(s) are the 100mm trance frames from

Mine’s a 2007-They were originally 100mm(the ones with the “glory hole”,where the shock sat) & then changed to the bendy down tube 2009ish to 120mm..The frame’s as tough as old boots as well

Northwind

I used to run an Idrive 5 (130mm) with 140mm forks (new owner ran it with 150) and a Camber (120mm) with 130mm of forks- both performed much better with “too much” fork, like they were designed for it.

And ironically I put 130mm of travel in a Scandal that was designed for 100-130mm, and it rode like a bag of shit till I went back to the normal 100mm 😉

Since you mentioned a Hemlock, the 2nd gen works best with 160mm of fork imo- I ran mine with 140mm for about a week, didn’t like it. Lyrik’d it and it all made sense

Kit
    Free Member

140mm Revs on 120mm ASR-5. Bit tricky on steep uphills, but otherwise feels nice.

jamiesilo
    Free Member

so you rn the hemlock at 120 160 northwind?
    beast

continuity
    Free Member

140 revs on a 120 trance.

Bb unsagged is 345mm according to a bike geo calc, which is plenty low. 68.5 ha.

even that feels a little steep.

Northwind

jamiesilo – Member

so you rn the hemlock at 120 160 northwind?

And a works slackener headset. Climbs like a bag of shite, I must admit but goes back down rather well.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Are you running 120mm frame with 140mm forks?’ is closed to new replies.