Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Are you ready for the coming winter power cuts?
  • 29erKeith
    Free Member

Stoner what runs the pumps when the powers down?

Last year we had a 2 day power cut including most of Christmas day, we got by just fine. Quick rewire and an extension lead to a generator ran the central heating, fridge freezer, plenty of bike lights. Cooked on the Gas hob and or the BBQ\over coal in the garden. Might even do BBQ turkey and roasted veg over wood\coal again next year 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

for now, with the power off, the pumps dont run. The only problem would be if a power cut occured towards the beginning of a furnace burn after the boiler water has got to 75 degrees and plenty of heat still to be collected from the uncontrolled burn – the risk is that the 200L of water in the boiler gets above 95degrees. All the safety systems would kick in. However before that, assuming Im around, I would douse the fire.

A power cut in between burns would just mean I dont use the boiler. Hot water in the thermal store would provide DHW for a few days. I would turn CH off and just use the two woodburners for heat and the one in the main room for cooking on.

Longer power outs and I would rig up the inverter/leisure battery system with periodic recharge from generator sessions.

brooess
    Free Member

In the 70’s we just got the candles out, and carried on reading, which is what we’d being doing before the lights went out.

Being slightly more dependent on electricity these days I suspect it won’t be quite as much fun but I have my tin opener, camping stove and down jacket so I’m sure I’ll survive.

Sadly we won’t be able to get onto STW and tell each other incredulous stories of our neighbours not being able to cope 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jam-bo

can you panic buy electricity?

I’ve got 2 boxes of D-cells and a box of C-cells on my desk. does that count?

footflaps

I plan to start fracking in the garden and become completely independent….

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Food on the shelves? For how long when the panic begins?

We’ll be fine. Nobody panic buys flour, yeast and other ingredients, and Mrs PP can bake! 🙂

project
    Free Member

Be intresting when the EPOS till all go down at the local supermarkets, fuel pumps dont work, and the daily mail printing presses cant pring scary non existent trash

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Are you ready for the coming winter power cuts?’ is closed to new replies.