Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Are You Proud To Be (insert nationality here)
  • pantsonfire
    Free Member

There have been quite a few threads on this forum over the years that have turned into anti (insert name of country here) rants.

Are you proud of your country I am, I am British (I worked out once that I could play for all of the home nations by Grandparent qualification) a proper mix of all the home nations but born and brought up in England and proud to be an Englishman in Great Britain. I know my country has faults and with a bit of work could be a lot better but on balance there are more pluses than minuses.

So come on guys and gals dont be ashamed to admit to the love that dare not speak its name get out there and say I am proud to be (insert nationality here) and I love my country.

ps If you have fecked up in this country dont blame it on us your the **** up. Now **** off to whichever Shangri La your going to **** up in next and good riddance.

clubber
    Free Member

Am I proud to be Great Britain? Well, I'm a big lad but I don't really consider myself to be the size of a whole country 😉

Of course if you'd asked "Are you proud to be (insert nationality here)"…. 😉

Proud? Not sure. Do I think GB is a good place to live? Yes, having been to a lot of the other places that people seem to emigrate to, I do.

pantsonfire
    Free Member

Clubber all edited now lets just say the steam coming out of my ears had blinded me to the correct grammar 🙂

I am calm now 😆

poppa
    Free Member

I want to be proud to be British, but sometimes it's hard.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

I am Proud to be Cornish!

bassspine
    Free Member

Planet Earthian.
    Those bloody venusians come here taking our jobs, buying our houses, stealing our women .. no, wait that's the martians….

[just to clarify – I love it where I live, but I believe nationalism/patriotism is in the same league as religion – an outmoded and dangerously silly idea]

Gary_M
    Free Member

Couldn't give a toss about my nationality at all, means nothing to me.

I also think DezB is a right nob end.

dmiller
    Free Member

Anyone that's proud of where they come from has not studied enough history.

I feel lucky to be in Scotland, and I feel warmth towards Scotland, but I am not proud to be Scottish.

DezB
    Free Member

I agree with Gary_M (makes a nice change that 🙂 )

Junkyard
    Free Member

Not really just a random place I was born to would I fight or die for it NO.
    PS it's the UK ….to include the Northern Irish as they get a bit uppity if you forget that the Loyalists are British…they get more uppity if you mention the Ulster plantation and the Free vote and partition in 1921 mind so shh on that one (a little reminder than no all our contries doings are noble see also Empire.

Probably worse places to live probably better places.
    All nationalism is b0ll0cks

clubber
    Free Member

It's the UK or GB – I was born in England so I was born in Great Britain. I was also born in the UK. My choice and I'm well aware of the difference having a Norn Ironer for a wife 🙂

MrAgreeable

No. You don't choose where you're born, and the idea that you're somehow better than someone else because of it is just daft.

DezB
    Free Member

Cheers Gary, I think you're lovely.

djglover
    Free Member

I love it here, if you don't close the door on your way out. Bye

DezB
    Free Member

I have a question – why do chav scum, football hooligans, etc wear the Union Jack/George Cross and yet proceed to litter the countryside, vandalise, and generally give the place they are supposedly so proud of, such a sh1t reputation?

Gary_M
    Free Member

I thought it was a great piece of editing DezB, don't take it too seriously 😉

scu98rkr
    Free Member

I pretty much agree with the statement nationalism/patriotism is an outmoded and dangerous idea well I think I'd like to.

But when I go away and come back I cant help but feel the UK+Ireland are great.

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

I was born a Lancastrian, and I'm proud of that. That also makes me English, but I am not UKish or GBish, or any of the other politically correct labels that our Euro sucking leaders want us to be.

retro83
    Free Member

I never thought i was proud or even really fond of England until i was flying back after some travelling and saw the green and pleasant land approaching out of the window and felt this odd sensation of warmth and happiness wash over me.
    Not until you're away from something can you really appreciate how good it really is.

Or maybe it was just the delerium setting in after dheli belly caused me to be shitting so much that i thought i'd wear my bumhole out.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Why is British any more or less politically correct that English ?

I've never really got that point ?

Surely originally people from these islands were nothing.

Then they referred to them selves as what every tribe they belonged to.

Then the romans tried to either get people to refer to them selves as Roman or British.

Then there was a period of confusion, eventually people across the area now called england took on a Anglican identity but surely at lot of this was either forced or taken on for political reasons or so local lords could be more POLITICALLY correct.

Another way of looking at this is people around the Edinburgh area who also talked English decided to call them selves Scottish which basically used to mean Irish for political reasons.

Then when the Empire started to be formed and England and Scotland were united the political establishment got the idea of using the old Roman idea of British as a way to unite people.

Surely as the British tag is older than the English tag it might be may be more authentic ? Or maybe not.

Generally also tags are political in nature or you'd just be you.

DezB
    Free Member

Gary_M – Member
    I thought it was a great piece of editing DezB, don't take it too seriously

How could I possibly take someone who can't spell 'knob' seriously ❓

cheese@4p

Dad from Estonia, mum English, born and raised in Yorkshire.
    Proud to be associated with all 3 but not into nationalism which is a stonesthrow from racism

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I like the term British i.e. from the British Isles. It seem geographically accurate.

Pride? I think "Britishness" as a cultural idea is strong on: fair play, tolerance, free-speech, toughness, and inventiveness; and fails on being: class-ridden, parochial, stand-offish and increasingly greedy.

I'm proud of the good stuff.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I think you'll find either spelling is acceptable nob-end/knob-end

IanMunro
    Free Member

Anyone proud to be white?

Junkyard
    Free Member

no nor proud to be straight either.
    Neither a thing of pride nor shame unless you are a bit of a **** IMHO.

kiwijohn

?

aracer
    Free Member

I'm proud to have brown eyes, group O blood and be right handed. Most especially though, I'm proud to be 5'9" tall.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Born in Zambia. Cant think of anything to say i'm proud to be Zambian

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Anyone proud to be white?

I'm kind-of pink turning to light brown after being in the sun. Is that OK? 🙂

But I guess that was some sort of unfathomable racial remark. Explain?

IanMunro
    Free Member

No not racial at all. Well not in any manner that I can perceive.
    I'm just highlighting the perversity of being proud of something that is an accident of birth. I'm glad that I've been born British, but it's not something I can take pride in, as it wasn't my doing.
    But if you do feel proud to be British, do you also feel proud to be White, Black, Pink, Gay or Straight?

BlackDog
    Free Member

I'm proud of my son and proud of myself for what I've achieved and having an amazing wife. Nothing else matters to me.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

not racial at all

OK

accident of birth

Well I agree that being proud of such is silly. But I'm proud of certain aspects of what I think of as "Britishness", and dismayed by others – see above posting.

mtbrDot
    Free Member

Born in Zambia. Cant think of anything to say i'm proud to be Zambian

The same applies to Russia. Fugly! 95% of population are chavs, inwardly, outwardly or both at the same time.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Are You Proud To Be (insert nationality here)’ is closed to new replies.