• This topic has 76 replies, 56 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by will.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • Are you happy with your bike?
  • mickasaki
    Free Member

As above really, trying to find out if i have some kind of addictive quality that is making me spend to much money on my ride! Having built a new bike from scratch a couple of months back, i am already looking to start changing things for no real reason! the other problem is i have now built some of my spare bits into another bike, and have started to upgrade that too.. Is it just me??

coolhandluke
    Free Member

It is a disease we nearly all have here. Nice one for coming out though!

Olly
    Free Member

nope, totally normal.
    anyone who is happy with a stock bike is weird and should consult thier physician/local-often-unhelpful-bike-forum

i built a bike around a pair of tyres i had going spare.
    also bought a new frame, moved all the parts across, looked at old frame and was sad i wasnt riding it, so built it up, by buying new parts for the new frame, and moving the old parts back again.

as long as you can justify it in your head (dosent matter about justifying it to the rest of the world) your OK

jedi

im happy with all my bikes and need nothing/want anything else for them

bomberman
    Free Member

i have also got said lurgi. it’s fun!

mboy
    Free Member

I think you’ll find the behaviour you describe is quite common.

I think the more spare cash that you have as an individual is inversely proportional to that individual’s happiness with their bike. Well, not in all cases, but often anyway!

Happy with one of my current bikes anyway, well… Nothing I’d really change anyway. Thinking of trying out the new 2 way release shifters (probably SLX) out instead of my old style single way release XT’s, but that doesn’t mean I’m not happy with it.

My DH bike though was totally unsuitable for me really as I don’t do enough DH to warrant having it, hence I’m selling it.

justa
    Free Member

I had it rather worse than most.

A Ventana EL Ciclon cured my MTB illness – the combination of ride & build quality & amazing customer service from Riverside Cycles has meant that I just haven’t been able to part with it,

Road bikes however…..

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I love my bikes – very happy with them and only change stuff when it breaks.

Having said that I am changing some parts on my BMX but that is to reward myself for progressing – something I always said I would do.

Not addicted to buying stuff but I am addicted to riding!!!

alpin
    Free Member

no. want wider bars. they were ok on the sanderson but shorter cockpit on alpine means i’m a bit cramped.

also want new pedals – v12 or the like, a new front wheel so i can put the lyriks on, some new, beefier, lighter brakes and some stickers with my name on.

then i can put the revs and brakes on the sanderson for the girl friend.

prob still won’t be completely happy.

Oggles
    Free Member

I’m really happy with my 853 rock lobster, not changed a thing since buying it.

I think it just needs one of those adjustable seatposts and it would be perfect, mainly because my saddle is so high that I can’t comfortably drop off the back end for really steep stuff!

I_Ache
    Free Member

I think I have this illness very badly. I had hoped that refreshing my frame and build would go some way to solving this.

However I am intent on even going so far as swapping the frame for a lighter shorter travel one that is as slack but lighter.

I am very sick.

But I do fancy a Prophet mx and a few other bikes.

ton

i am known amongst my friends and a few on here as never being happy with my bikes.
    i swap them nearly as much as my undercrackers.

i am waiting for a delivery of a frame that i hope will put a end to all my swaping.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

I have it very bad. It seems much more unusual for women to catch this disease and my husband has been worried… Still, as long as I’m not the only one – plus there’s always someone worse than you – isn’t there?!

MrNutt
    Free Member

the only things I’d change are:

Formulas Oro’s with some 200mm rotor

New headset & BB

New gear cables (happening tomorrow)

new front mech

thats it, then its going to be spot on!

mickasaki
    Free Member

I’m starting to feel normal at last!

I_Ache
    Free Member

I would also like a Heckler.

ton

i had a heckler, for 6 months.
    i fancy a bullitt.

dr_sam

Normal I’m afraid…I’m hoping to make the next changes before the price hike.

I_Ache
    Free Member

And an Orange Blood

ton

i want a chameleon or a stiffee, to go with my hoss.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I would like a Bullit too.

I_Ache
    Free Member

And a Nomad.

ton

i wanted a ventana, guess whats coming.

djglover
    Free Member

OCD

ton

i like to think so
    but i will just have to check..

aleigh
    Free Member

yes!

MikeWW
    Free Member

Think I’m going the other way
    Bought a 2009 Marin Vision and was absolutely delighted with it. 4 months later after wearing out forks,chain set and rear hub started to think this was getting too expensive. Still got it but riding a single speed cobbled together bike at the moment and starting to wonder whether less is more.Harder work, not as easy over the rough stuff but hugely rewarding.

Strangelove
    Free Member

I am perfectly happy with my bike.
    Its the engine I want to improve 🙂

blades2000
    Free Member

I would say you are perfectly normal, without trying new things we will never find perfection.

james
    Free Member

“Bought a 2009 Marin Vision and was absolutely delighted with it. 4 months later after wearing out forks,chain set and rear hub started to think this was getting too expensive”

Which one was that! Thats disgusting. How much had you ridden it? A freehub should last a lot longer than that. The forks want sending back for warranty replacement (/refund) if they’ve not lasted 4 months

the_lecht_rocks

i suffer from UGI too. probably worse than most, however , I’m currently over the moon with my fleet.

UGI = UpGradeItis 😀

Strangelove
    Free Member

I would say you are perfectly normal, without trying new things we will never find perfection.

Are you are seeking perfection?
    You will only end up disappointed.
    To misquote Aryton Senna: Perfection is tying your shoelaces so that both ends are the same length. Sounds easy but no matter how many times you try, you will not achieve it.

tang
    Free Member

Almost…..£

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

no. i’ll be happy with it once i stop my gears from skipping.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Yes i admit it just started out with the odd tyre or two, now im on a set of brakes a month and a rear shock every 3 months.
    Seriously i have been on a bit of a bender in the last year, but im pretty much there now, almost….

mountainchub
    Free Member

I’m happy just now with my Heckler while I’m saving for my wedding but I reckon after the wedding I’ll be looking to upgrade bits and bobs. Though I quite fancy building a hardtail next, mmm and maybe changing the forks on the Heckler and the chainset and the shifters and the wheels and the bar and the grips – all of these I could put on the hardtail!!!

Ah well I guess I’ve got UGI as well :o(

MikeWW
    Free Member

James
    Apparently I ride a lot. Only started 12 months ago but guess I do 50-80 miles a week off road.
    Didn’t know but you are supposed to dismantle Fox Forks every 15 hours. Failing that considered wear and tear not warranty(although they did sort them out as a gesture of goodwill) Point is (for me anyway) is that if you ride often cheap and cheerful seems to be better. Not even thinking about bling bits anymore but more stuff that will last or dirt cheap to replace. Just moved back to deore hubs from Pro 11’s having gone through 4 in 6 months(2 for me and 2 for my 14 year old)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

yes 🙂
    took a long time to get there though, ay further work wil simply be bargain hunting, posibly a ligher stem, seatpost, saddle, but beyond that it would be fairly pointless. By far the most well mannered bike ive ever riden. just neeed to think about cornering and it sits you out in a different direction at twice the speed you went in!

grumm
    Free Member

Yup – but then I did just buy an adjustable seatpost for it. 😛

firestarter
    Free Member

Ive gone thru 12 bikes lots of wheels few sets of forks and lots of kit in last year but now have my bikes just as i like them. I think lol

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Are you happy with your bike?’ is closed to new replies.