Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Are you happy with the steeds in your stable?
  • Big-Dave
    Free Member

Pretty happy with my bikes:

1X9 swift – (currently in bits to make space. Need to get it put back together really)
    Cross Check – Timeless and reliable. Ridden the most
    Karate Monkey – ugly mess of a bike and always being fiddled with as it isn’t quite sorted yet. Ridden quite a lot, usually slowly and with a frown as I try to figure out where various creaks are coming from.
    Dahon folding bike – not used much at the moment. Great little bike for when I’m travelling or taking the car in for a service.
    Thorn Sherpa tourer – buried at the back of the garage and in need of an airing.
    Old alloy Bianchi frame – kept for sentimental reasons.

My problem is I like building new bikes. I have a hankering for either a Fargo or a Troll but have neither the space or need for them. I really need a cheap beater of a bike to go to the shops on but have no idea where I would keep it. The garage is full and I have other more important things to spend my money on 🙁

_tom_
    Free Member

Sort of. My full sus (Bullit) is nice but I can see me wanting to replace it with something else when I get back from Canada – seems great for the riding out there but is way too much bike for over here. I’ll either just replace the fork with a travel adjust, or “downsize” to a Heckler or something.

Sold my road bike last month and the rigid mtb with slicks I’m using instead isn’t doing the job properly, so I will also be getting a road bike when I return. That mtb will then be put back together with Pikes as a long travel hardtail as it was before. Then I may be happy 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Got a 100mm hardtail and a Pitch at the moment.

Would quite like a FS to go inbetween them, somethign like a Stumpjumper, but then I’d want a 100mm full suss as well, so that’d be an Anthem-X as well, and before you know it, you’ve got more bikes than you can ride!

If I’m honnest though I’m not really any faster on the Pitch than the Hardtail as the bits where the Pitch is faster are usualy folowed by kack-your-self monents of brakeing.

Ohh and I’d like to swap the hardtail for a 29’er.

mboy
    Free Member

Had 4 Mountain Bikes, 2 of them hardly ever got ridden. And almost all were usually in need of new bearings, drivetrains or weren’t working properly for some reason. Often just the “bike that worked” at that time would get ridden regardless.

Now have 2 fully functioning mountain bikes, and a road bike. Road bike doesn’t get ridden often enough yet, but planning to change this. Both mountain bikes get ridden fairly often, about a 50/50 split too, which I wasn’t sure would be the case.

For what it’s worth they are a Ti hardtail with 5″ forks and a 1×10 gear setup, and a 5″ full sus with 3×10 gear setup.

Of course i’d love more bikes, but then it’s been a long time since I’ve ridden in the alps or anywhere to warrant a long travel full sus bike. Am 29er curious again right now though I know they’re probably not as well suited to the way I ride as my current 2 26″ wheeled bikes are either

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

At the moment yes. My road bike is awesome and lives in my stable. My MTB isnt so I just leave it outside in the field. Hopefully once Ive got my new frame sorted this weekend, that will all change.

yunki
    Free Member

my bike is simple but effective.. it’s ace.. it gets me to the trails and is good fun when I get there..

I don’t need a stable..

wanna big wheeled BMX to play on though..

Andyhilton
    Free Member

Happy – ish with my stable at the moment. Steeds are as follows:

Road
    Felt F3 with Kysrium Elites- Absolutely love it! The bike I ride the most.

Spesh Allez Elite – Winter bike

Kona Fixie. Bought off here, used about once. Going to be sold as soon as I can be bothered.
    MTB

Cove Stiffee – Love it but not riding it at the moment

Turner RFX – My current love. After returning from Morzine I can ride it better and harder than I did previously. This down to some coaching from better riders whilst I was away.

1988 Stumpy. Currently on long term loan to a friend.

WANTS:

Bigger travel, slacker FS. Something like a demo 8.

Possibly a TT bike.

harrymunro
    Free Member

I want a reliable bike with gears which can go fast on roads and carry loads for commuting and possibly touring – then my collection which currently consists of all-mountain, carbon roadie and ss roadie, shall be (more) complete. Thinking on-one pompetamine.

M6TTF
    Free Member

I’d love to swap my fuel ex for a a good light 140-150mm trail bike or at least update the frame and fork. Love the way it rides, hate the crap tyre clearance, my scandal 29er would benefit from a better fork than the tora, but on the whole I’m happy

OCB
    Free Member

I’ve got an Arab mare in my stable, she’s retired now as she’s getting on a bit – I don’t ever think about being happy / unhappy with her, she’s my friend! I do miss riding tho’, so a younger ‘steed’ (as well) has an appeal, something like a Friesian, or an Andalusian would be great …

My quiver normally holds whatever I’m shooting that day, but it’s only a version of 32″ wooden shafts, 70, or 100grn ‘modkin’ points, 4 inch shield-cut feathers – it’s usually my ‘field’ arrows, but I do use my ‘best’ arrows too some days.

Ah, ok …I get it now, right, bike-wise there’s another 29er coming in in the next few months’ish, when finally I decide what I’d like – I’m leaning towards a a Fargo, but still considering an El Mariachi, or similar. I think a Swift might be just that bit too close to my Gryphon, so it’s kinda lower down the shortlist, but there is that new Genesis 29er due out in the new year to consider too (and a Steel Jones Spaceframe if I can work out / live with the issues of importing one).

So yeah, I’m delighted with the bikes I own, but I still have an itch (perhaps some itches) to scratch.

ton

i **** hate the bike that i am having to ride the most now.
    a kalkhoff electric assist monstrosity………..but it is better than nothing.

i have just built up another singular swift to ride when i get mended.

and my son has knicked my surly lht, cos his car has been scrapped.

these are the only 3 bikes that i own now………… 🙁

rp16v
    Free Member

120mm geard hartail
    rigid 26er dawes for domestic use
    ss flat bar road bike
    happy with all but will eventualy need new frame for the road bike when the drivetrain starts wearing more.

TooTall
    Free Member

I’m sure you’ve got room for a webbs fixie

webbs fixies are for fashionistas, tarts and tiny people. You’ve seen pictures of my bikes! In fact, you can borrow any of them whenever you want.

TiRed

Happy with:
    1.Road bike – shinyness personified
    2.Fixed commuter – drops, guards and a rack
    3.Rigid 29er singlespeed MTB (first “proper” MTB 🙂 )

Less Happy with:
    4.Airnimal Rhino – real niche but not seeing enough action since 2. and 3.
    5.Kiddyback tandem – kids are getting too big and needs replacing with something more adult

Unhappy with:
    6.Unicycle – still hopeless on it!
    7.Dawes Super Galaxy tandem – old and needs consolidating with 5.
    8.Fixed track bike – can’t get it off Son1. 🙄

Need:
    9.Another Brompton – I miss mine but it’s being put to good use
    10.A FS 29er, or perhaps a 26er, I’m not that fussy about wheel size to be honest (see 4.), but I need to learn to land better 😥

Lust after:
    11.Recumbent trike – probably a Windcheetah or Catrike

supersaiyan
    Free Member

This thread made me think of this t-shirt:
    http://www.howies.co.uk/product.php/4250/7/

I don’t have enough space to contemplate answering this thread fully, but my steel HT could do with 1-2 degrees slacker head angle and better brakes and my full bouncer could do with a shock that doesn’t clunk, and my “achingly trendy” fixie could do with a clean.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Are you happy with the steeds in your stable?’ is closed to new replies.