Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Are you happy ?
  • righog
    Free Member
    weeksy

Curently no.

I’m waiting for my KTM to be finished and dropped back off…. once it is…. i’m happy.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

How to be happy by Men’s Health – number 1 stop buying Men’s Health….

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    righog
    Free Member

I did not buy it. That has increased my happiness.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Happiness is not normal. We’d still be living in trees if it was.

crush83
    Free Member

yes. i have 12 days off work after today!!

binners

If you’re insecure enough to buy Mens Health, then you’re unlikely to ever be happy. With all that closet homosexuality competitive grooming, and wotnot….

I am happy as larry though. Being thick really helps on that score 😀

righog
    Free Member

Closet..What closet ? 😀

The article is by the Undercover Economist Tim Harford, who is a good egg.

There is some interesting stuff (and it is short) especially (as I am)looking to buy a new house.

As for MH magazine.. I have bought a few times at airports, It led me to run a 10K first in years, and showed me an exercise that helped loads with my dodgy hip. I do not groom competitively ( or much at all)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Generally, folk who wish to make you feel bad because you’ve bought a certain magazine are unlikely to be as happy as they’d have you believe.

footflaps

Ironically, there is a correlation between unhappiness and buying Men’s/Women’s magazines.

They are designed to feed insecurity and then offer the false solution of buying crap to try and make people feel better.

Lifer
    Free Member

5thElefant – Member
    Happiness is not normal. We’d still be living in trees if it was.

In that case

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2lKSEgb8yc[/video]

aracer
    Free Member

married people have a lot more sex

Well at least I got a laugh out of that.

binners

I think he meant they get ****ed more often

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

correlation

Yep.

footflaps

Generally, folk who wish to make you feel bad because you’ve bought a certain magazine are unlikely to be as happy as they’d have you believe.

Actually it’s the magazine that is designed to make you feel bad. Negative emotions are strong motivators and the aim of the magazine is to please the advertisers. The basic plan is, fill the magazine with images of unrealistic perfection, feed insecurity and hope readers buy advertiser’s stuff in an attempt to feel less insecure.

Obviously everyone is affected to a different extend, but that’s what they’re designed to do.

righog
    Free Member

It’s not about the mag.

or at least least it was not to start with,

The question still stands.

dannyh
    Free Member

Had to take a day off work to look after the kids – both of whom have got the trots.

In a strange way, it is nice to be nursing them a bit as they usually just want Mummy when they feel poorly, but it’s going to be a long day…….

boxfish
    Free Member

My family is housed, fed and loved. I don’t have much to complain about. My job gives me some satisfaction. Riding bikes keeps me sane. I feel lucky. Does that count?

footflaps

It’s not about the mag.

Yes, but in this case the ironing is too great to not comment on!

and yes, perfectly happy thanks!

cinnamon_girl

I say, what an interesting link. 😉

freddyg
    Free Member

married people have a lot more sex

HAHAHahahahaHHAhaha…… <sigh> 😐

grievoustim
    Free Member

whatever you think about the magazine that is an interesting article

I do enjoy a bit of pop economics

fasthaggis

I am a ( sometimes annoyingly ) happy person 🙂

I think Kirsty Young got close ,when she said

“I don’t want my children to be ‘happy’,they will be bloody lucky if they glimpse it now and again, I want them to be content and have self-worth.”

IMO ,you only get true happiness when you can appreciate the other end of the scale,and have been through the mill a bit.
    Getting the ratio right , will always be the tricky bit.

righog
    Free Member

boxfish – Member
    My family is housed, fed and loved. I don’t have much to complain about. My job gives me some satisfaction. Riding bikes keeps me sane. I feel lucky. Does that count?

Yes

cinnamon_girl – Member
    I say, what an interesting link.

Yes

FWIW, I am marginally happier after starting the thread 😀

MrWoppit
    Free Member

binners

IMO ,you only get true happiness when you can appreciate the other end of the scale,and have been through the mill a bit.

I’m with you on that one Fasthaggis. Everything’s relative innit? 😀

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I’m not religious but theres a buddhist saying I like a lot:

‘life is pain and suffering’

the meaning behind it is something like life is indeed full of pain and suffering, recognising and accepting this fact will make you recognise the happiness in-between, which in turn makes you appreciate it. The full buddhist bit is more complex but this is how I interpret it for myself. 🙂

cinnamon_girl

I’m obviously not reading what everyone else is. 😳

😉

annebr
    Free Member

I’m not a man therefore I must be happy?

deluded
    Free Member

I’ve recently gone through a slightly anxious stage as I transition into my 40‘s – evaluating my life thus far, determining future goals etc, etc – but aside from that I’m happy. My wife is due to give birth to our first born in a months time, all is well at work, financially we have no worries, I’m surrounded by close mates who I grew up with and have good leisure / social outlets … and I find myself in rude health (apart from carrying a bit too much timber).

I wish I’d been a little more chilled out and wiser in my youth. It took me a while to discover that sources of satisfaction sometimes lie beyond my control and that the world does not reliably confirm to my wishes.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Actively seek out short-term treats, whether it’s a walk in the sunshine, a cheeky espresso when you should be at your desk, or a quick workout. Corny as it seems, you may find yourself feeling lucky to be alive. You can’t make the sun shine, but you can take full advantage when it does.

This. You have to actively look after your mind and the little things add-up. Your mind is the most important organ in your body. Take great care of it.

cinnamon_girl

I do think that experiencing life-changing events forces you to reassess what you want from your life and, when it comes down to it, what’s really important.

andyrm
    Free Member

Agreed – and it’s also important to keep reminding yourself about where you sit on the scale of “fortunate”. First world problems like a late delivery or someone not replying to an email are never cause to be upset. Filter it out.

– Do you have food, shelter and water?
    – Do you have an activity you enjoy doing?
    – Are there people in your life that you enjoy interacting with?
    – Are you reasonably healthy?

If you can answer yes to all 4 of the above, you have NOTHING to complain about. A huge portion of the world’s population don’t.

greyman
    Free Member

Not quite a ‘smug 7’ here, but happy enough thanks.
    G.
    Mind you, Binners has a point 😉 It doesn’t pay to overthink things, esp stuff you can’t do much about. Fight the battles you can win. Vote. Play the cards you’re dealt.

andyrm
    Free Member

It doesn’t pay to overthink things, esp stuff you can’t do much about.

Great point – and something I said to a mate who tends to overthink just about everything. I naturally err towards the flippant end of the scale for just about everything in life, with a very simple 2 step approach:

Can I do anything about it? Do something about it
    Can I not do anything about it? Think about something else

jonba
    Free Member

You can’t make the sun shine, but you can take full advantage when it does.

OOh worthy of adding to the motto thread.

Interesting idea in the article that being happy may be the cause of success and not a result of it. I’ve read something along these lines before. There was also an element of how people feel about luck, some people considered themselves lucky others unlucky but when studied the number of positive and negative experiences evened out. It was more an attitude to dealing with them. The lucky ones focussed on the positives.

Anyway, I’m not ecstatic but I’m doing a whole lot better than people in North Korea…

nickc

married people have a lot more sex, Well at least I got a laugh out of that.

People generally have a lot less sex than you think, so it’s probably true.

I have enough money to live, my kids like me, I’m healthy, my job is mostly OK, I get enough sex 🙂

Happy enough

yunki
    Free Member

Am I happy..?

Fairly regularly, yes

Aristotle
    Free Member

Most of us were extremely lucky to live in the UK in the late 20th century. .

Many of us are/were frustrated by not being quite able to live the dream, though.

-We can’t all be Binners.

Things may be on the slide a little now, though

footflaps – Member
    Actually it’s the magazine that is designed to make you feel bad. Negative emotions are strong motivators and the aim of the magazine is to please the advertisers. The basic plan is, fill the magazine with images of unrealistic perfection, feed insecurity and hope readers buy advertiser’s stuff in an attempt to feel less insecure.

Obviously everyone is affected to a different extend, but that’s what they’re designed to do.

I would regard myself as cynical enough not to be taken in by magazines and ads, but having a read of a pre- Xmas MBR even had me thinking about my second-hand bitsa bikes and,

“Maybe I do actually need a 29er with electronically-controlled full suspension? and a 29er hardtail?”
    and,

“how have I managed to ride for 20-odd years without a dropper post? In fact, I’ve obviously not really been riding”

I went for a ride on one of my shonky machines and quickly snapped out of it.

If I were a weaker man I’d have thought,

“My suspension coatings are all wrong”

“9 speed is extremely wrong”

and gone out and bought a flash new bike to go with the Audi S-Line that is essential for a trip to Llandegla.

DezB
    Free Member

No. Sod off.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Are you happy ?’ is closed to new replies.