Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)
  • Are you going to buy a 29'er next….
  • the_lecht_rocks

^^^^^^^^^^

hardly comparitive 😯

pjt201
    Free Member

i just bought one, so yes.

adeward
    Free Member

just having a 29er built ,, here is a few numbers for you

71deg head angle
    71.5 deg seat angle
    609 top tube 24 “
    413mm 16.2″ chainstay

coastkid
    Free Member

I have more friends that now want a Pugsley/fatbike than a 29er 😮

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Fatbikes are 29ers 🙂

adeward
    Free Member

it’s the outside diameter of the tyre doesnt matter how you acheive this 26″ wheel with very big tyres or 700c with not so big tyres

bol

I hope not. If I do it will be because I’ve given in to peer pressure. I’m more niche riding a 26er among my riding mates than if I had a 29er. Part of my objection is the “if you’re tall you should ride a 29er” stuff, which I can’t see any logic in at all. The last thing I need is a longer wheelbase, and the trails round here are flat enough with out being smoothed out!

big_n_daft
    Free Member

they are pointless, ridden by dullards and are the next redundant technology.

save yourself the time accept that the 26er full sus and the long travel hard tail are the only bikes you need unless you are a nichemongering attention whore

thread closed please move along onto a “what 26″ tyres for…”

I like the way people keep repeating the “29ers are no good on singletrack” myth, as if repeating it is all it takes to make it true.

I ride a 29er.
    I find that when I turn the ‘bars, the bike goes round the corner.
    What magical properties do 26ers have beyond that ?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I ride a 29er.

sell it now before the bubble bursts, put the money to a proper mtb and accept that you were wrong and that you strayed from the path of righteousness

ton

i reckon my 29r with the build it has, could, in the right hands keep up with any of the 26” fan bois on here, no matter what they ride.

cupra
    Free Member

Been there and tried it (3 times), not for me whether ss, rigid, geared etc, so 26ers all the way now.

coastkid
    Free Member

Folk keep saying there slow on tight singletrack…my mates (on 26″) arnt slow and im no riding god yet keep up no probs…
    dont think im dull…and no one notices me…
    big_n_daft; come out for a ride some time and lets see…

Having conducted extensive in the field research at SITS, Bike Fest, Set2Rise etc, I can honestly say that I overtake far more 26ers on my 29er on singletrack than I have 26ers overtake me. That includes team riders, who I would expect to be going faster than me as a solo.
    I’m thinking about leaving my map board on and wearing my Sustrans Volunteer Ranger tabard this year to really rub it in.

tk46hal
    Free Member

I used to ride this!

ONE ONE TI456 by timoreillyhalifax, on Flickr

Now I ride this and I prefer it! Not for everyone, but I won’t go back to a 26er!

SCANDAL 005 by timoreillyhalifax, on Flickr

Bazz

I’d like to try one, but the cost of forks needs to come down first, i don’t want to be rigid, may as well ride the crosser for that!! I do know what i want though, steel, 100mm travel, HT, 1X9 (or 10 if cheap enough!).

singlespeedstu

you can buy 29ers with head angles ranging from 71ish to 70ish degrees.

One of my 29ers has a 69degree head angle. Should i send it back as it’s been made wrong?

I’ve never had problems keeping up with 26ers on tight singletrack either. 🙂

tk46hal
    Free Member

Bazz,

I got new 100mm Rebas for 300 off ebay!

clubber
    Free Member

coastkid
    Free Member

Bazz i bought the cheapy Suntour 100mm Epicon fork for £180 from CRC, not quite as plush as a Reba but it takes the hits ok(enough to keep up with 26″ bikes) and its nearly a year old and no probs after nearly 2000 miles,it has an alloy crown and stantions so pretty light and 15mm thru axle, a service and tune from Mojo or TF Tuned would make it pretty decent,

emac65
    Free Member

I like the way people keep repeating the “29ers are no good on singletrack” myth, as if repeating it is all it takes to make it true.

I ride a 29er.
    I find that when I turn the ‘bars, the bike goes round the corner.
    What magical properties do 26ers have beyond that ?

It’s not that they’re no good,it’s just they are not as fast if the trail is tight ‘n bendy so you have to slow down & speed up a lot……
    I ride both btw & have done for over 18 mths now……

…it’s just they are not as fast if the trail is tight ‘n bendy…

Let me guess; You’ve got power steering on your car and if you drove my Land Rover, you’d complain that it was hard to park.
    Am I right ? 😛

duntstick
    Free Member

Your bikes rubbish if it doesn’t have purple anno bits on, or wide handlebars or single speed or 10 inches of suspension………………………………
    They’ll keep making the next big thing and we’ll keep buying it……………….enjoy!

This bulletin has been brought to you via considerable amounts of strong beer and I think most of it is spelt right

Salut!

geordiemick00
    Free Member

Just have!! Bought a Cube Stereo Race 26er in November for the bouncy stuff and now added a Niner Air 9 for the fast stuff and most other stuff, will be using it as a tool to increase my fitness.

gothandy

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eZeJZJmBk4[/video]

The old 26 vs.29 debate means a good excuse for a bit of clash and tallboy doing skids, rock gardens and stuff.

69er
    Free Member

One of each is best…. 😉

Or quite possibly worst… 😯

Ah **** it, I’ll just go riding and not worry!

ahwiles
    Free Member

ade ward – Member

just having a 29er built ,, here is a few numbers for you

71deg head angle
    71.5 deg seat angle
    609 top tube 24 “
    413mm 16.2″ chainstay

hmm, are you sure about that bit? – cos i wanna see photo’s an that. (that’s short for a 26er, and you’ll be wedging in a tyre that’s at least 35mm taller)

shortcut

Not for me.
    Just got one and definitely in love!

_tom_
    Free Member

Sort of, if you count a road bike as a 29er?

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I was sceptical but prepared to try it, had a Scott Scale pro 29er on loan for 3 weeks now and I like it… So far I’ve raced it at the Gorrick Enduro, taken it round Cannock, done the beast and climax trails and then weds I took it to the peaks.

This nonsense that they don’t do corners and get wedged in stuff is completely wrong, well at least for this bike with a reasonably competent pilot anyway…. I find singletrack on in is great, so much grip it really can be thrashed through it. It seems more planted and stable on decents and smooths rocky climbs really well.

The downsides…..

Extra weight, mine is 1lb heavier than the same spec in a 26″ this is all in the wheels, although having said that the extra rolling speed seems to make up for the lack of acceleration.

The front end is harder to lift so manuals and wheelies are harder, this was noticeable in the peaks trying to negotiate the peat bogs as I couldn’t sometimes get the front wheel as high as I’d like to clear them.

Lack of tyre selection, I like 2.25 Tyres as a rule and the rocket rons that come on the Scott are ace but I’d like narrower options for racing/mud, I’ve had to got to maxxis for some 2.1 aspens and to bontrager for mud x to get a set up for every occasion.

Wheel flex, obviously there’s more leverage force going through the rear wheel and longer spokes etc. so I’ve noticed the rear wheel flexing slightly under hard accelerations and twisting corners. Although this is using no tubes crest rims which are not exactly known for their stiffness even in 26″.

Having said all that, for me the benefits outweight the negatives so I’ve ordered one as my race bike for the year, it won’t be my only bike as it won’t replace my meta 4 for rocky trail centre duties but it is certainly more than just a fad, it has obvious advantages.

luked2
    Free Member

It might have been my imagination, but there seemed to be quite a few more 29ers at the last round of the Thetford Winter series than usual. Still massively outnumbered by 26ers.

They definitely roll better and get through mud more reliably. I think the stuff about being slow through twisty stuff is, at least for me, not relevant, since in my case the limiting factor is how slowly my dullard brain works.

EDIT: even with my slow old brain and allegedly slow 29er steering I was still finding I’d be catching up riders on 26″ wheels on the fast cornery twisty bits.

My 26″ 456 is still a lot of fun though.

the_lecht_rocks

Blazing. Interesting as dipper reports similar. He does struggles to get full travel out of his nicolai helius ac 29er however

rOcKeTdOg

lets just say i’ve no plans to buy a 26″ bike ever again

oldgit
    Free Member

Nah
    Had one and a 69er, nice cruisers and I miss the off camber traction. But I’m a one bike man and a ‘nortmal’xc race hardtail suits me.
    The other thing was weight weenie’ness. Everything was heavier on the 29er obviously due to the larger size of suss forks, tyres etc. And if you argue the weight point by using rigid singlespeed as an example, I’ll just say rather than go that route I’d stick with my crosser.

DezB
    Free Member

No, never.

craigf
    Free Member

if anyone has ever tried to keep up with Steve Webb on his Singular 29er in the swinley singletrack at a Gorrick then they will know that this ’29ers are slow in singletrack’ claim is a load of old sh1te… 🙂

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Blazin, unless you back to back your test with the 26″ version of the same bike you don’t know whether that would be better.

oldgit – Member
    The other thing was weight weenie’ness.

weight watchers is your friend

My 26″ 456 is still a lot of fun though

because it’s better by design

adeward
    Free Member

ahwiles you well have to wait a couple of weeks but the numbers are right

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Blazin, unless you back to back your test with the 26″ version of the same bike you don’t know whether that would be better.

I did big and daft, I’ve owned and ridden for the last 6 years on 26″ Scales, the 29v26″ was a back to back observation. all my comments still stand.

Andy

Interesting from Blazin’. It is a different riding style on a 29er though I find. Carrying speed an all. Also I didn’t really “get” them untill I rode a really light but strong bike, which cost me a fair bit to put together. 29ers are certainly much more expensive like for like and that maybe where the comparisons are uneven.

Anyway am quite happy with both my 26ers and 29ers. Cant see me not riding either.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Are you going to buy a 29'er next….’ is closed to new replies.