Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 162 total)
  • Are you getting your 7-a-day?
  • Solo
    Free Member

And, lets be brutally frank; chips are better than cauliflowers
    Nothing brutal about that. I believe you’ll find its the natural order of the universe.

Chips RULE

grum
    Free Member

A fist sized portion Cougar.

TBF pretty much everything I’ve seen about 5 a day has mentioned this.

miketually
    Free Member

Your 12-a-day example is a bit optimistic. This is the whole daft thing about the 5 a day message. The devil is in the detail and is often overlooked.

From the NHS website:

The 5 A DAY message highlights the health benefits of getting five 80g portions of fruit and vegetables every day.

If you have 80g of raisins on your porridge I’d be extremely surprised…and impressed.[/quote]

About 30g of raisins, last time I weighed them. But, some of my other portions will have a greater mass, so I’d probably still be well clear of the 7 portions a day altogether.

Actually: raisins are dried fruit, so do I need less than 80g for 1 portion? 🙂

StefMcDef
    Free Member

^ a portion is 80g – it should be 400g in total ,divided by five.

Which makes it easier to eat a portion of something disgusting like watermelon than something palatable, like watercress.

Northwind

Cougar – Moderator

Saying you should eat 7 portions rather than 5 is meaningless if I’m eating seven grapes and you’re eating five watermelons.

That’s kind of the entire point of “portions” vs fruits/vegs.

miketually
    Free Member

Snacking on fruit is bad – sugar.

An interesting point, the message from R4 (well from one of the guests) was “eat more fruit” without any qualification.[/quote]

The article I read was suggesting 2 fruit and 5 veg.

binners

I make 3 here….

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Well if I can count my breakfast sultanas and fresh juice, that’s 2 portions straight away 🙂

miketually
    Free Member

The person from public health on the new managed to contradict herself in a very short statement:
    1. 31% of people don’t eat 5-a-day
    2. 5-a-day is a simple message that people understand

So, we won’t change it. Genius.

69% compliance to a dietary recommendation would normally be considered a triumph in public health terms. And just because some people choose to eat nothing but pies doesn’t mean they don’t understand the 5-a-day message. They just don’t choose to do it.

I sincerely doubt that more than two-thirds of the population is having five a day though.[/quote]

As in a later post I made, it’s actually 75% not eating 5-a-day.

Solo
    Free Member

Why?

Oh dear.
    😥

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Oh dear.

Still not very helpful

binners

Solo – I note that theres tomato ketchup on the chip butty. Thats another one of your 7. You’ve got this sussed!!!!! 😀

miketually
    Free Member

And, lets be brutally frank; chips are better than cauliflowers

You are allowed to eat things in addition to the vegetables…

I had a chippy tea on Friday night. A sweet chicken and chilli, with chips for lunch on Saturday. Three (slightly stale) cinnamon and raisin swirls and 6 custard creams as a snack last night.

Today’s breakfast had maple syrup on top, dinner contains chorizo, tea includes toad in the hole.

Solo
    Free Member

Still not very helpful

Help ? are you really looking for help ? No, you’re not. You’re fine as you are, aren’t you.
    Carry on.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Seven a day cut the risk of dying from cancer and heart disease.

And increases the risk of you living for longer as a senile geriatric old codger.

Experts said other lifestyle factors, such as not smoking or drinking excessively, may have accounted for the drop in mortality, not just fruit and veg consumption

Who are these geniuses. I wish to nominate them for a nobel.

Solo
    Free Member

You’ve got this sussed

stilltortoise
    Free Member

are you really looking for help ?

No, but when some stranger on the internet tells me my pancreas is at risk from a diet that I’ve had for 35 years or more, it’s reasonable for me to ask why. I don’t know whether you’re a health professional who can’t be bothered to explain or someone just on here for the sport of it.

martinhutch

I’ve had three of my five already today. Porridge with banana and raisin, apple just now. Unfortunately I’m now reading about the evils of fructose and apparently I’m still doomed. 🙁

miketually
    Free Member

And increases the risk of you living for longer as a senile geriatric old codger.

Apart from the possible links between Alzheimer’s and poor diet, you mean?

binners

The fundamental flaw in the DoH’s well-intentioned, but eye-rollingly tedious hectoring about the lifestyles we should all be leading, is it assumes we all want to live until we’re 98. I’m sure that looks like a fabulous prospect from their comfortable, upper middle class ivory towers. Winter on the slopes, summers in Tuscany

Meanwhile, back in the real world……

footflaps

Can you do this 5 a day thing entirely through alcohol?

Eg If I mix up a Sloe Gin, Red Wine, Pear Cider, Calvados and Cranberry juice cocktail, would that count as 5?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Apart from the possible links between Alzheimer’s and poor diet, you mean?

I’d rather be senile when I’m geriatric. That way I won’t know about it.

Solo
    Free Member

I don’t know whether you’re a health professional who can’t be bothered to explain or someone just on here for the sport of it.
    Its never stopped you using your pitchfork in the past.

I’m now reading about the evils of fructose and apparently I’m still doomed
    Ah, now, you see. On this forum, that sort of thing is frouned upon as cheating. Stick to what you think and try to either cling to old, out of date science or just repeat what you heard at the check out.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Also, contaminated bagged salad can cause kidney failure. And 46% of all food poisoning cases in the US are related to vegetables, which is suprising seeing as all they eat is minced beef in a bun.

Where are my fish and chips? 😈

sbob
    Free Member

footflaps – Member

Can you do this 5 a day thing entire through alcohol?

You sir, are a genius.

miketually
    Free Member

I’d rather be senile when I’m geriatric. That way I won’t know about it.

I’d rather be that amazing 90-year-old who sets a new hour record for his age group. I’d also rather not die in my 50s.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Does a diet of Scotch and Cigars count?

footflaps

Does a diet of Scotch and Cigars count?

At least three I reckon, or maybe more if it’s a blend?

Solo
    Free Member

and

grum
    Free Member

The fundamental flaw in the DoH’s well-intentioned, but eye-rollingly tedious hectoring about the lifestyles we should all be leading, is it assumes we all want to live until we’re 98. I’m sure that looks like a fabulous prospect from their comfortable, upper middle class ivory towers. Winter on the slopes, summers in Tuscany

Meanwhile, back in the real world……

Keep fighting the class war comrade. Graphic designers who post on mountain bike forums will be the backbone of the revolution. 🙂

Also, contaminated bagged salad can cause kidney failure. And 46% of all food poisoning cases in the US are related to vegetables, which is suprising seeing as all they eat is minced beef in a bun.

Aren’t beansprouts the most dangerous thing you can eat or something?

Edit: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/craig-goldwyn/sprouts-e-coli-risk_b_875103.html

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Solo, have I done something to upset you in a previous life/thread? I was genuinely curious why you thought my diet was not as healthy as I first thought and I don’t understand why you don’t want to tell me. I’ve surmised it’s to do with the fruit juice, but are you really suggesting that 2 glasses of fruit juice in a day* – with a meal – is bad for me?

Looks like my 5 a day situation may take a turn for the worst…

{*edit, “in a day”, not every day}

footflaps

Graphic designers who post on mountain bike forums will be the backbone of the revolution

They’ll close down all the post restaurants and have them replaced by Cornish Pasty shops…..

Solo
    Free Member

They’ll close down all the post restaurants and have them replaced by Cornish Pasty shops…..

Not if Jamie has anything to say about it !

** btw, whats a “post restaurant” ? **

footflaps

Post = Posh typed badly……

nick1962
    Free Member

Aren’t beansprouts the most dangerousrevolting thing you can eat or something?

I like nearly every type of bean and sprouts are ok but beansprouts???
    They taste like grass mixed with wet soil.
    Thing is if you ate 7 of the recommended size portions of veg you’d probably be too full to eat anything else nice/unhealthy hence the health benefits 🙂

jools182
    Free Member

I’m already struggling with 5 a day

I need to have a look at some recipes

Solo
    Free Member

I’m already struggling with 5 a day

Then don’t. Eat meat.

jools182
    Free Member

I know I should be eating more veg though, just not very imaginative when it comes to cooking

bikebouy
    Free Member

It’s all carp.

Eat what you like, one day you will die.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Yes and smoke fags as that is Bollocks to
    I assume it is pretty hard for a meat eater as I am not certain that every single day [ perhaps one or two a month*] I achieve it and i am a vegan

Solo, have I done something to upset you in a previous life/thread?

Its what he does on every vaguely diet related thread dont take it personally they cannot help themselves and is is not you but them. On the plus side I will get the flak for a bit now and not you

* That means I dont eat 7 a day For example its possible to have some cereal and a crumpet at brekky, then a sandwich for dinner then some chips and cake for tea though it is pretty rare. Most days I will be over 10 I assume and i drink plenty of home made fruit juice

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 162 total)

The topic ‘Are you getting your 7-a-day?’ is closed to new replies.