Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Are you getting faster as you get older?
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Is interesting that, probably one for another thread though!

Pace a 10 using a PM and first third feels pretty easy, second third hard, final third is bloody hard. Read Wiggins talking about his hour the other day and how he’d split it into fifths, and how the first one was pretty much free given it was a pace he could sustain for an hour. Doing my first 25 on Wednesday which will be entertaining 🙂

Anyway, back on topic… yes, drugs!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

He’s not yet 34 so improvement is not infeasible in my book, I think 34 is the apex for a bloke.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Doing my first 25 on Wednesday which will be entertaining

Not sure of your age but maybe this thread should be retitled ‘old blokes who should be going slower….but aren’t’.

This is my first full TT season, well pretty much since ever. I raced TTs as a juvenile but never anything other than 10s and only for a year or two.

I did a PB on Saturday (22:16) by deliberately slowing the pace down just a fraction on the way out and having more gas left for the return. I tend to ride them 50:50 as our local course is a straight out and back (as are most ten courses) but actually psychologically speaking I think the ‘rule of thirds’ works better.

If you’re using a PM then a good rule of thumb is that your average power for a 25 will be around 95% of that of a 10. Weirdly my PB for a 25 (55:54 but it was a good day and it’s a pretty quick course – P885) netted a higher average speed than my PB for the 10; 27mph vs 26.9mph.

Where are you doing your first 25/which course is it?

Riding it in thirds feels far more natural on a 25; the first third feels OK, the last third you just pull the pin and go for it, bouyed by the sense that the pain will soon be over. It’s the middle third that hurts the most and is hardest to push through.

mrblobby
    Free Member

geetee, shall pop this over to your 25 thread as seems more appropriate for discussion.

Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Are you getting faster as you get older?’ is closed to new replies.