Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 132 total)
  • Are you any good on a bike – like REALLY?
  • Stu_N

I mean, really?

I know everyone on STW is an undiscovered Absalon/ Peat/ Hill/ Reys/ Macaskill and talks a good game but can you really live the dream?

On a good day I’d say I am OK. I can outclimb most other fat lads and outdescend most mincers. But really, if I’m honest, I’m more enjoying myself (and hopefully avoiding embarrassment) than shredding it to the MAXX. I can hop round pretty much any left hand switchback (but not RH ones) but my turn of speed lets me down.

You?

saladdodger
    Free Member

I am a fuggin riding god 😆

_tom_
    Free Member

Not really. I got alright at jumping at one point but I no longer live close enough to any jumps to do it on a regular basis so I’ve lost it.

jedi

i’m ok but trying as ever to get better but loving it too

Kevevs
    Free Member

I’m rubbish at going left.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I am better suited to road biking as I am light and fit 😉

Northwind

I think I’ve ridden to the dizzying heights of adequate.

Actually, I have it official, Andy Barlow described me as “competent”. I should have got him to put it in writing

kimbers

not really

mboy
    Free Member

I know everyone on STW is an undiscovered Absalon/ Peat/ Hill/ Reys/ Macaskill and talks a good game but can you really live the dream?

You’re going to get a lot of polarised answers here. You’ve got plenty of fat mincers that think they’re gods gift, and lots of really quite talented people that are pretty modest.

What is the benchmark?

What is the purpose of this question?

What do you hope to achieve from it?

Me… Mr. Average, can hold my own on a downhill (as long as it’s wheels on the ground riding), passable technically, mid-pack (when I’m fit, otherwise towards the back) when it comes to uphills.

FWIW I ride bikes cos I enjoy it, I find it impossible to get even slightly competitive (other than with myself) when riding, as I know peoples abilities vary so much.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

I’m a god in my own mind

distinctly average in everybody else’s mind

i’ve ridden stuff a lot of people on here wouldn’t even look at but scared myself to the point of becoming happy with turning stuff down. I’m more than happy to be more than happy with my riding ability without wishing to compare it to others i ride with.

I’m better than Hora, that’s what matters.

aP
    Free Member

What does “I can generally stay upright” class me as?

themanfromdelmonte
    Free Member

I’m better than I used to be and hopefully, not as good as I will be. Can anyone ask for more?

Stu_N

What do you hope to achieve from it?

Nowt much really. Just trying to establish the self-assessment of the average singletracker.

Mine – “surpisingly effective climber, if lacking in grace. Doesn’t fulfil “on paper” potential on descents”.

Anyway this Port Charlotte expression is quite something. WHAT!

Alcopop
    Free Member

Think I peaked about 15 years ago been going downhill ever since

Gary_C

Thought I was, then the illusion was shattered as I sailed over the bars on Roych Clough this afternoon…….

😳

Kevevs
    Free Member

but can you go left?

BoardinBob

I don’t even own a bike. I just come on here and pretend I do.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Considering I’ve been MTBing about 21 years, I reckon I’m ‘Shite’ compared to the likes of Peaty etc. In fact I’m non-existent! I’m 54, fat as lard so obviously ride a 5 & scared of hurting myself cos I don’t heal as quick.
    However, went out with a lad (who rides a Fireblade on the road) & has just bought (against my advice) a Marin Quake, & he thought I was a climbing & DH God! (Not surprised at that after I hauled the Quake up The Apedale Road & he pushed my 5)
    Anyway, who cares as long as your’e smiling eh.

BadlyWiredDog

I’d say I’m probably below average as a rider. I know some proper fast, talented riders and I’ve learned a lot from riding with them, but realistically I’m pretty slow and technically inept. But at least I’m realistic.

HermanShake
    Free Member

Enjoyment=win.

Much like my climbing, I impress beginners. Then compared to a “proper” climber/rider I’m a bit…meh. But I love it so pfft.

Pfft outranks meh.

Therefore it’s all good. I’m happy being mediocre at a range of activities (climbing, kayaking, road, mtb, mountaineering, mountain boarding) it’s better than being mediocre at a single thing!

Sue_W
    Free Member

Technically crap, reasonably fit, 100% enthusiastic …

… kinda like other areas of my life!

radoggair
    Free Member

think i’m a good rider, technically i’m pretty good, climbs , downs, straights pretty good as well. I find myself going through stages though. Wont touch huge drops i used to do 3 or 4 years ago, but thats mainly because my bike choice has went from a full susser 5 spot with lyircs, 203mm discs etc to a full carbon h/t. I now prefer the ‘carry on without stopping and ride everything at pace’ compared to the ‘ size it up, ride it and repeat ‘ thinking i used to do.
    Thats also meant my endurance and change of speed has increased but that could also be down to introducing road biking to my life ( which i love).
    I could be better and always strive towards that but just now i’m quite happy with my performance on a bike, and the main thing being i’m loving my biking just now and would struggle without it.

In fact my other half asked me the other day. ‘What would you give up, me for 6 weeks or the bike’. Honestly struggled with that answer. Help maybe !!!!!

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I’m crap at hitting the ground at speed. Despite plenty of practice it still hurts.

On the plus side – I’m learning how to avoid this, and possibly more importantly, willing to learn all the time.

Moonhead
    Free Member

radoggair, always say the bike!! School boy error to even hesitate! Whether you mean it or not is inconsequential.

teethgrinder

I ride an old 2002 Rockhopper FSR with a random selection of what i would class as good bits (XT, SLX, Hope, Stans etc). It’s all 2nd had but all the strife lets me get and I have delusions of adequacy (possibly mediocrity) soon to be proven at the Weekender. wooooooooooooooooo!

ChrisL

I’m not much good. I have occasional flashes of competence but generally my mind comes down hard on them as soon as it notices. I should be better than I am, and I reckon I would be if I didn’t let my mind get in the way all the time.

radoggair
    Free Member

naturally i said the bike, although i now hide the garage key from her 🙂

theotherjonv

on the basis that the best rider is the one having most fun, I pwn you all.

On any other scoring scale, I’m lower echelon. I can climb OK, by that I mean at my pace I can keep going and get up some quite difficult stuff, rather than fly up fireroads at light speed, I don’t think I mince too much on the down, and I can clear a 6 foot gap. But I do it with a grin…..

Whitish
    Free Member

I’m better than Hora, that’s what matters.

Me too.

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

I just ride my bike and enjoy it. I don’t care what others think of me because I’m too busy having fun.
    I sometimes try to inject this fun element into my posts, but it often gets misread as being “know it all” in some topics.
    Am I Bovvered? nope. I’m just goin to carry on doin my fing coz it makes me appy and stuff.
    I do like to wind people up, but if they were chillaxed in the first place, it wouldn’t be a problem.
    Peace and love peeps.

PJM1974
    Free Member

No, I’m really quite mediocre at best. I’m neither ballsy nor co-ordinated so I tend to rely on a well set up bike to get me out of trouble.

The only ace up my sleeve is that I’m pretty fit, especially when you consider my age. I’m fitter than most guys fifteen years younger than me.

gwj72
    Free Member

No idea. I don’t know how heavy my bike is nor could I name the components off hand. I’m nearly 40 so by rights I must be pretty shit, but I think I’m still a 12 year old on my Aero Burner when I’m in the zone. And I still **** love it.

juiced
    Free Member

i am alright. Need and want to improve certain on aspects though.

RealMan
    Free Member

At the moment I’m the worst here, with my broken arm, which came from me not being quite good enough..

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Better than some worse than others.

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

Don’t beat yourself up Realman, that’s a part of riding. You’ll come back stronger for it.
    Been there, done that, riding much better now it’s outta the way.
    Still hurts, but not as much as when I couldn’t ride.

ell_tell
    Free Member

I used to be a damm site better & more technically adept than I am now. Was on my bike every night after school when I was in my mid teens – could bunnyhop well, pre jump drops to transition with confidence, X-ups, mini tabletops & all that. No chance currently.

I’m as good as my race results.
    32nd/169 overall solo at Mountain Mayhem, yet 132nd/135 on the Kenda Klimb.
    I think that proves I can plod on at a steady pace for hours on end, but I’m crap on hills.

racefaceec90

nope i’m c*!p at mountain biking,but will never give it up 😀 tis one of the most importaint parts of my life riding my bike (when the blinkin depression/laziness doesn’t get in the way 😡

13thfloormonk

Reckon I’m as good as I can be given that I’ll generally only ride twice in a good week. Doesn’t stop me talking the talk or buying the kit though! 8)

Can’t ride trail centres to save myself, tend to avoid them now as I usually come back with injuries or breakages, fast surfaces, berms and jumps just spell trouble for me…

Have pulled some epics in the highlands but none that have really demanded riding ability, just resolve in the face of terrible weather or em-boggened trails.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 132 total)

The topic ‘Are you any good on a bike – like REALLY?’ is closed to new replies.