Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • are you allowed to cycle on footpaths in France?
  • singletracksurfer

I've got an ign map and am trying to work out what cyclists can and can't cycle along.

Thanks.

mtbfix

I believe it is as per Scottish rules. If the path exists you can ride it so long as you follow the usual etiquette of behaving sensibly and giving way to walkers etc.

BoardinBob

With the amount of farmers and truckers blockading the roads, you'll probably have no choice…

steveh

Yup you can.

shedfull
    Free Member

We rode an all day circuit around a bunch of tracks I picked off the map in the Loir valley. Some went close to farm buildings and past houses but everybody we met smiled and said "Bonjour". We didn't encounter anyone who disapproved of us being there.

Where are you planning on going?

nasher
    Free Member

Yes you can but NOT in National Parks.

Also places like Chamonix have seasonal bye laws.

singletracksurfer

Great they sound very nice over there 😉

not sure where i'm going yet.

thanks.

Gilles

Yes, since I left France, i discovered that more and more paths are getting restricted access. There is a path, "sentier des contrebandiers" around Brittany which is forbidden, due to its popularity and the erosion caused.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

I kmow some local Mayors can kick up a stink if your in big groups,In general though I dont think its a problem.

Some of the trails I have ridden around Vezlay needed prior permission due to restricted access,at the time.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘are you allowed to cycle on footpaths in France?’ is closed to new replies.