Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 93 total)
  • Are you a serp rider? morzine content.
  • legend
    Free Member

Wysiwyg, the old trail down is still there, but it’s shit. So Serpentine is really the only way worth going to get to that trail…… that I also can’t remember the name of

unklehomered
    Free Member

Well, on 6inch trail bike, I must confess to always hitting up the blues and greens, many of them are awesome trails. The one on the opposite side of Les Gets, and you’re not allowed to pedal. Its a hoot, and they tend to be less chewed up than the ‘DH’ runs, which are usually **** by the time I get there. I like that I’ll sail by some guy on DH bike who’s just refused the same rock garden for the fifth time. It gives a smug little, ‘yeah who’s gnar now’ moment in my head, even though I know deep down he’s hired a bike and never been on more than Dalby before. But hell he’s having a go. **** it, it’s a holiday, not a dick measuring exercise.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

it’s a holiday, not a dick measuring exercise.

best quote ever 🙂

godzilla
    Free Member

Deleted my comment, because its already been said but betterer 😀

Northwind

jamj1974 – Member

However there is some truth in what the OP is saying. Having returned recently from Morzine, there are a lot of people riding blue and green runs with on full on DH bikes and full armour etc… Many of them were riding very slowly

Yeah, but… So what? Hard to see what’s to complain about, people on blues and greens that aren’t very good? People who mostly ride uplifted trails so might as well wear armour and ride a big bike? People who’re not very good therefore wear lots of armour because they know they might crash?

There’s a different mindset, in the UK if you’re a noob you generally buy a cheap hardtail and go and ride at trail centres or round a field. Uplifts are pretty much just for capable enthusiasts. But it’s not like that everywhere, and why should it be? They’ve got it more sorted than us IMO, we’d not be struggling to justify new trails and new uplifts if we were as inclusive. And maybe we’d be getting more people on bikes too, by taking away some of the fitness barriers.

kudos100
    Free Member

Yeah was good man! Made it a bit harder cos it was pissing it down, certainly not the hardest thing I’ve rode down but was fun passing all the serps who had pushed in front of me at the top cos they were disillusioned cos I didn’t have the neck brace or full face on,

I find champery in the wet a piece of piss, don’t know what everyone is complaining about. I rode it on a rigid with v brakes and lycra. I lost count of the storm troopers I overtook on the way down.

Might give that lad Danny Hart a few pointers next time I see him.

We should meet up for a ride, you seem like you are almost approaching my skill level.

toys19
    Free Member

I rode it on a rigid with v brakes and lycra.

Ahh so you where that bloke I used as kicker when I did champery on my unicycle?

D0NK

And maybe we’d be getting more people on bikes too, by taking away some of the fitness barriers.

hmmm I’m dubious
    Two of the key points about getting people on bikes is A get them out of cars and B get the nation fitter. I don’t think opening up uplift days to the general populace will do either of those. You could argue it gets people interested in bikes so may lead to other stuff, a gateway ride if you will 🙂 but I think there’s already a lot of people who do one particular sort of biking and won’t touch others so not sure it holds weight.

Plus of course the trails will be so busy with the new influx of part-timers that us “proper” mountainbikers won’t be able to strut our funky stuff 😉 Interesting idea tho.

bang on with your other points, over here stormtroopers are perceived as gnar shredders (or atleast wannabes) elsewhere it’s just prudent to pad up especially if you’re a noob and as you have lifts getting all sweaty pedalling to the top isn’t an issue.

Edit and oh yeah OP
    OMG! you are like, so manly and awesome! I wanna have your babies.

timidwheeler
    Free Member

Northwind +1

Northwind

All you guys that think you’re awesome riding it on xc bikes and rigid seem to be missing the point, sounds like there were loads of people who didn’t need a bike at all- they were able to walk down the course, carrying a bike. Game set and match.

jamj1974

Yeah, but… So what? Hard to see what’s to complain about, people on blues and greens that aren’t very good? People who mostly ride uplifted trails so might as well wear armour and ride a big bike? People who’re not very good therefore wear lots of armour because they know they might crash?

I am not saying I am great – just suggesting there is some truth in the OP’s observation. I thought I had made it plenty clear enough that I was not ‘bigging myself up’. I don’t have an axe to grind and I will say it again for additional clarity the main thing for me is that people are having a great time! Please don’t misunderstand.

LoCo
    Free Member

Pics or STFU.

it’s a holiday, not a dick measuring exercise.

Yeah, but… So what?

😆

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Cha Nada. That’s the badger. Interesting little track.

Northwind

jamj1974 – Member

I am not saying I am great – just suggesting there is some truth in the OP’s observation. I thought I had made it plenty clear enough that I was not ‘bigging myself up’.

Oh don’t worry, you did! Sorry if it felt like I was having a go. Just saying that yes you’re right, these things happen, more questioning why they’re anything to write home about

Northwind

D0NK – Member

Plus of course the trails will be so busy with the new influx of part-timers that us “proper” mountainbikers won’t be able to strut our funky stuff

Moar audience for your awesum! Moar noobs to overtake on the green routes! What could be better?

kudos100
    Free Member

Ahh so you where that bloke I used as kicker when I did champery on my unicycle?

Nah that was my mate dangerous Dave. I forgot to add I was wearing a blindfold and had drunk a litre of whisky.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Cha Nada was a good one, think that’s the one the do the IXS races on.

The one right at the end off the big berms blue (Gueps?) was cool, wild entry into it though.

The OP won’t know this though, he was obviously back flipping his way down Air Voltage.

Trekster

It did surprise me the amount of protection some people were wearing ( in Chatel-Les Get ) compared to what I had, basic xc gear. The question is tho who is best prepared for the inevitable happening? I am sure all the ” locals ” wearing ” all the gear ” have good reason to wear it 💡
    Being on holiday with the aim to enjoy myself without breaking myself I am sure I was riding pretty slowly/cautiously but still managed to overtake a few storm troopers here’ n there 😆

I was also surprised/impressed at the number of women on big bikes dolled up in all the gear and even more impressed by the number of small kids on good looking bikes with all the gear.

frazchops
    Free Member

Bike patrol is a cracking track too, no power rangers on it too and therefore no bloody breaking bumps!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

well in the absence of the pussy that is willow I’ll call him a troll, what you riding & where are you staying? Got mates out there this week who will do some spotting, by the sounds of it you did the tame blacks into Pre La Joux and f’all else

Post when you did something good 🙂

Euro
    Free Member

pussywillow – Member

Amazed me to see all the so called down hillers in morzine queuing up with there storm trooper outfits and neck braces only to be riding down the feminine groomed trails, one was called serpentine I think? Is this really what people think is gnarly dude? super stoked they were saying at the bottom! I’ve never laughed so much in my life! Instead we did some of the secret techie lines which showed you needed a lot more skill than riding down a smooth track full of been baby berms and a jay gump! hahahaha… Strange at how they seemed to look at us with our half lids thinking they’d better get down the track before we get in there ways! Hahaha how wrong they were. So are you a serp rider? And are you disillusioned by the industry telling us that
    these kinds tracks are classed as downhill? Champery was a good downhill yet there was no one on it! Well, no one riding it should I say! as we over took all the troopers on there arses!

Euro
    Free Member

BoardinBob

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Im going next week. Air voltage anyone

nickc

I “rode” champery DH track once, I don’t think I’ve had as many “ohgodohgodohgod” moments in all my life. At one point I’m pretty sure I actually whimpered.

Never ever again.

Northwind

jekkyl – Member

there, their and they’re

I’ve been enjoying the random cruelty to the word “disillusioned”

toys19
    Free Member

Nah that was my mate dangerous Dave. I forgot to add I was wearing a blindfold and had drunk a litre of whisky.

you know I have no arms & legs right?

andymc06
    Free Member

Clever dick!

pussywillow
    Free Member

My point is that these surps were deluded into thinking they were faster than us going down these jay tracks which we only used to get from a to b, to get to the proper secret lines, but they were trying to get past us at the start of every descent thinking cos we didn’t have our neck braces and full faces that we must be crap! How wrong they were! 8)
    I loved pressuring them on there back wheels! 😆

legend
    Free Member

wysiwyg – Member
    Im going next week. Air voltage anyone

Go big lad!

BoardinBob

My point is that these surps were deluded into thinking they were faster than us going down these jay tracks which we only used to get from a to b, to get to the proper secret lines, but they were trying to get past us at the start of every descent thinking cos we didn’t have our neck braces and full faces that we must be crap! How wrong they were!  I loved pressuring them on there back wheels! 

Youre the biking equivalent of

toys19
    Free Member

I actually think he is more one of these

mandog

I’ve just got back from Morzine. I spent a day or 2 in Chattel. I took a DH rig, that’s all I got. I wear knee pads, full face, neck brace, a vest and baggy shorts. I ride flats.

I did a blue trail on the right hand side from the top. I think it’s called Peoples or Blues and Rock. I launched off a massive road drop and later some kind of river gap. I was glad to be on a big rig and wearing armour.

Later in the day I did a few runs of the Serpentine. I enjoyed the long flowy berms. I came across some beginners, so held back a bit. Then some guys flew past me on their hard tails wearing XC lids mumbling about me holding them up.

legend
    Free Member

On a similar note to my previous post…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyTyjQbvylg[/video]

waldo1
    Free Member

It seems like there’s a lot of people wearing less armour lately on dh. A few of my mates only run a lid and knees and this is even after they had to carry me chopper in Chatel after a failed launch and snapped my hip(I had full armour and hip protectors).
    I hate wearing all the clumsy gear and enjoy the freedom and fluidity of less armour but generally still suit up when abroad.
    On a side note, what do people think of the dh over at Morgin? First time we rode it, it was signed Blue or black so we tried the blue first. ….. holy moly. That’s not a blue! Favorite track of all.

legend
    Free Member

Morgins is awesome! I’d say the Blue was very much a blue run, but it flows so well you can hit it at warp speed!

Isn’t it sign posted Blue (left) and Red (right) off the top? The berms on the red are the best I’ve ever seen – actually ended up dizzy at one point 😀 The blacks were fun too, the whole place is so well planned out that they just dont seem to be able to build a bad trail (Ben Walker, the man behind the revised version of Champery, built them all with a couple of helpers)

waldo1
    Free Member

I guess I got confused then. It’s been a couple of years since I got over there. It’s the berms and steep drop in that is quite prominent in my mind. It was a little daunting from the top but when you drop in and start to flow it was a buzz. Quite a steep track if I remember correctly.
    Damn, in going to book a flight and get back over there

superfli
    Free Member

Morgin runs are great! Reminded me of Pila. Very root though, wouldnt want to race it in the wet! Thought the blacks were very manageable, tough, bit nothing like champery tough!

richmtbguru
    Free Member

oliverd1981 – Member
    Serpentine is a nice run no matter what your skill level but you do have to respect the mixture of abilities you’ll find on that sort of trail. It’s not the kind of trail most people would do lots of laps of as It’s quite long and the lift queues can be epic.

The way Chatel bike park is laid out gives you a lot of options for the second half of the hill, but a lot of the reds (and all of the blacks) on the top section of the park are quite challenging – if you’re not on your game or you just want to preserve your arms/brakes/tyres it’s not a bad idea to “poach” one of the easier trails, but respect it for what it is.

“Stormtrooper” is just a outfit – not a mindset. It’s the kids in wife-beaters and neck braces you need to watch.

POSTED 2 DAYS AGO # REPORT-POST

I would have to disagree with you there, I always ensure my clients wear full protective gear to start with especially when they choose the upgraded skills course which involves ridding alpine descents, the key with mountain biking is ‘confidence’ once they feel confident they then have the mental tools to take a positive aproach to riding something they would normally feel is way out of there level, with a positive attitude they will then be focusing and have mental visions of successfully clearing that double or drop or even a technical section. I would say over 97% of my clients feel a massive confidence boost when wearing full protective gear,
    I only ever wear a helmet, but I ride well within my capabilities 🙂
    Even though I get told to slow down all the time! 😆

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Well im setting off in an hr, for the 850 mile trip. Id welcome pussyw to show me around chatel, see if i can keep up on my 6″ rig with no protection but helmet and knee pads.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘Are you a serp rider? morzine content.’ is closed to new replies.