Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Are XT/XTR pedals worth the money (in comparison to 520's)?
  • oxnop
    Free Member

I can get some new 520's for £12, XT pedals for £48 or XTR for £78.

I ride with DX647 usually but have built up a 2010 P7 HT to compliment my burly built LTC – normally i wouldn't care about weight but i've built the P7 with full XTR!

Should I splash the cash or stick with the trusty 520's??

Real world experiences/comparisons please

jordie
    Free Member

£12 where from
    ??????

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

We have 520s, 540s and XTs on three different bikes.

The 540s/XTs are easier to fit than 520s and they get lighter as they get more pricey but in function, there is very little difference.

I went for XTs over XTRs because the black of the XTs matched my Stumpjumper… 😳

hamishthecat
    Free Member

In what way are the 540s easier to fit?

oxnop
    Free Member

£12 where from
    ??????

Ill tell you in a min – once i've decided what to do 😀

cynic-al
    Free Member

520 any day.

jordie
    Free Member

520 i really don`t care about what happens at that price.I just buy another pair.Com on spill the info i need some new ones 😆

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Can use a large allen key as well as a pedal spanner (I think)

nickc

Allen key from the back of the crank arm rather than trad. pedal spanner. It's a slight advantage i guess, if you care about these things…

njee20
    Free Member

540s are significantly lighter than 520s, XTs aren't much different to 540s, XTRs are a bit lighter again, although still significantly heavier than equivalent offerings from Look, Crank Bros etc.

For £12 it'd be 520s no doubt!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Real world experiences/comparisons please

Buy Time instead.

epicsteve
    Free Member

520's here as well – can't see the point of the more expensive ones 'cause the 520's are excellent.

I could do with a spare set though, so where are these £12 ones!

jordie
    Free Member

ahh time with the clips made of monkey metal i was a fan until the metal bar just snapped as the bar was hollow it was clearly a manufacturing fault.

colande
    Free Member

520's have allen key at the rear as well
    so no difference in installation terms

oxnop
    Free Member

Here you go peeps – only 5 more available – free P&P too (actually £13) and come without cleats…..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280518956730

Cleats are £5 from the same seller too..

Edric64
    Free Member
    4ndyB
    Free Member

No cleats with those though, hence the cheap price.

clubber
    Free Member

Crc £20 including cleats which is more of a bargin I reckon

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/SearchResults.aspx?Search=Shimano+M520&PartnerID=2324&gclid=CO2-jKXqk6ICFQZslAodYWYijg

520s all the way for me.

iain1775
    Free Member

guess that depends if you need cleats or not really?
    if for a 2nd or commuter bike etc and you already have cleats on your shoes….

Absolute Cycles ebay shop, used them loads of times, really quick service and often have alot of good bargains (they prob have cleats on there for less than £7 too if you look at the other listings)

jordie
    Free Member

tks.

cyclistm
    Free Member

ordered – thanks

clubber
    Free Member

Cleats wear out and they're not cheap though clearly if you don't rode much… 😉

hamishthecat
    Free Member

520's have allen key at the rear as well

That's what I thought – but couldn't be bothered going out to the shed to check. I have 520s on 3 bikes and they just go on forever. Am thinking of getting Wellgo lightweight ones for the race bike though just to lose some weight.

Hornet600
    Free Member

I have 520's on one bike and XT's on the other, wish I had 520's on both and put the extra cash towards a Hope BB!!

epicsteve
    Free Member

I don't need the cleats as these will be replacing 505's currently fitted on a couple of my bikes, so bought the two remaining Ebay sets. Thanks for the pointer!

oxnop
    Free Member

Thanks for the pointer

No probs – lets hope that they have 6 sets in stock!!

ackie
    Free Member

have both 520s and XTR.
    The 520s feel more solid.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I've used 520s, 540, and XTR but I now run the Bikehut spds which are lighter than the lot (300g vs 325g for XTR) and just as good.

Of the Shimanos the 520 wear their bearings faster than the others.

tinsy
    Free Member

These ones Reggie?

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_566801_langId_-1_categoryId_165566

Thats what I like about this forum, all of a sudden someone comes up with a bit of kit thats just got WIN written all over it, if these last like a 520, within a fiver of the price, and lighter than XTR.

I got some near dead 959 (XTR before they did XTR pedals), will have a look at Halfords.

mtb_matt
    Free Member

520 don't have sealed bearings. Mine wore out in under a year. I have some 540 which I've been using for 2 years without servicing them and they've been faultless. I think these have sealed bearings.

Cheers

Matt

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I service my 520s about once every two years and they seem fine.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

the bikehut ones I use are the same as the Powerplay Force. They are good to use, robust, reliable and light. I've run them all through winter and they isn't a sniff of play in the bearings.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/POWERPLAY-FORCE-Shimano-Compatible-MTB-Pedal-c-w-cleats-/390097389668?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item5ad39dc864

The latest Bikehut ones in Halfords are very slightly different but basically the same.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

My XTs (one of them) needed greasing a week after I got them – one started to click a bit.

Since then they've been faultless.

My wife's bike has the 540s – again faultless.

Got 520s on the road bike (it's our "cheap" bike!) and they are fine too – it's still flipping like (to me) even with them on!

bigyinn
    Free Member

From experience the M540s are indentical to the XTs other than colours.
    M520s have pretty much the same bearings as M540s / XTs.
    I can only surmise that M540s / XTs are lighter as the pedal body is slightly shorter and has an aluminium bearing collar rather than plastic.
    I've used all 3 types and tbh i cant tell between them in use.

sam-r
    Free Member

those powerplay/halfords ones will be made by wellgo or VP so have a hunt around for best price/brand/colour: they look excellent but I've not been keen on the split bar type clips over the single Shimano style.

njee20
    Free Member

520s have a 6mm allen key slot in the back, and spanner flats. If it's been fitted with a pedal spanner you will likely break your allen keys before they come off! 6mm allen keys are generally relatively short.

540s have lighter axles just with an 8mm allen key in the back, no spanner flats.

If that matters!

reggiegasket
    Free Member

the bikehut ones aren't split bar and they are as clicky/slick as 540s.

They come up on ebay periodically and go for about £15, which is a steal IMO. Lighter than XTR and as good as 540s in use. Bargain.

IanW
    Free Member

Aren't 540's sealed bearings? 32 from merlin less than half rrp and feel quite a bit lighter than 520's which I have also found unreliable.

njee20
    Free Member

For £32, I'd get 540s, that's a steal.

When the retail prices were £30 and £40 for 520s and 540s the 540s were well worth it, now the 540s are meant to be about £65 they're not so good!

damitamit
    Free Member

Halfords have buy 1 get 1 half price on cycle accessories.

So you get 2 pairs (incl cleats) for £37.50.

Hmmmm, those or a pair of 540s. Can't decide!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Are XT/XTR pedals worth the money (in comparison to 520's)?’ is closed to new replies.