Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Are white helmets cooler than black helmets?
  • jam-bo

Need a new road helmet and tend to run quite hot. Always had black helmets and wondering if a white or silver helmet would make much difference?

Looking primarily at the giro savant for reference.

mrmo
    Free Member

used both colours, i don’t there is really any difference. The number of slots cut into a couple of inches of polystyrene strapped to your head has more say then colour.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My new ones white, can’t say it’s any cooler than the one it replaced
    (actualy warmer as it’s cheeper with less vents). Had a series of Xens in various colours before that and never noticed any change.

jam-bo

On that basis then, is a road specific helmet going to be dramatically cooler than a hex. I know it’ll be lighter but I’ve got a massive head so well developed neck muscles….

rogerthecat
    Free Member

The white one’s displays are much more exciting.

rOcKeTdOg

well, if you look what colour they paint houses in desert countries, I’d say white reflects the sun whereas black must absorb it, so I think white would be cooler

this however has no scientific data to back it up coz I just thought of it

roverpig

A black shell may absorb more heat than a white one, but Styrofoam is a pretty good insulator, so that heat has little effect on your head. Unfortunately, being a good insulator means that the heat you generate can’t escape either, hence the need for lots of cooling vents.

So, yes, theoretically a black helmet may get hotter than a white one, but it will make bugger all difference to the way it feels on your head.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Are white helmets cooler than black helmets?’ is closed to new replies.