Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Are wellies good for mountain biking?
  • garfield_cat
    Free Member

I'm considering a pair along with my flatties and waterproof trousers.Anyone tried it?

fatboyjon

They're great.
    Try a pair on your hands too for complete weather proofing.

stumpyjon

I really wouldn't have thought so. Will be horrendously flexy and sweaty, your feet will probably freeze in the cold. Not sure they would flex properly at the ankle either. Get some proper water proof boots (expensive but well worth it) or some waterproof socks.

genesis
    Free Member

They'll be brilliant, as useful as SealSkinz. As for me I'm considering a dry suit 😉

loddrik
    Free Member

Are you serious…?

singlespeedstu

It depends what make and colour they are.

genesis
    Free Member

how about getting the soles shod by these guys?feet first

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

those green wellies with frog eyes are by far the best for riding in. better than my 5.10's by a country mile. 😛

garfield_cat
    Free Member

If 5.10 made wellies, it'll probably be the best wellies in the world.

Aidan
    Free Member

I have actually tried using wellies for commuting in foul weather. The problem was that are quite tall and kinda sharp at the top. So much so that after 20 miles, my calf was bleeding. I was wearing them with shorts and that is an "interesting" look, so they might be ok with trousers tucked in. Still not a great look, but if it's hammering down with rain, who cares?

The soles weren't very grippy at all, though, so I wouldn't want to mountain bike in them.

IA

If you tucked trousers into your wellies, and it was wet enough to even consider this – they'd fill with water!

Wellies are an awful idea on the bike. For all the reasons above.

Olly
    Free Member

i would imagine they are truley atrocious, being so fley.
    though i did start to think about putting some cleats on some safety wellies (with metal lined soles) to use for riding around those horribly muddy pit areas at races.

RAD!

garfield_cat
    Free Member

Thanks Aidan, I think I'll get a pair for commuting, with my trousers over it so water don't run into my feet, it'll be a fine look and along with toe clips will grip fine. Hopefully find a fit that doesn't rub at the top. As for mountain biking.. hmm, I really don't want to shell out £60-£70 on 101, but sealzsklin just not effective enough..

theflatboy
    Free Member

i'd rather wear flipflops.

andywarner
    Free Member

why not try some old fashioned galoshes while you're at it?

avdave2

SPD Waders – that's the future.

GW
    Free Member

I've used steel toecapped work wellies for DH racing.
    Garfield_cat – most wellies are grippier than 5.10s anyway due to the soft flexible soles and deep channel in the tread and heel your feet never get bounced off.

5thElefant
    Free Member

My mother got me a mountainbiking book fro christmas about 12 years ago. On the first page the guy recommended wellies as the best mountainbiking footwear. I didn't get to page two.

elaineanne
    Free Member

id rather go bare footed !!!!! lol…i was actually going to mention the freen wellies with froggie eyes but someone beat me to it… what about a pair of fur lined wellies while yer at it….. lol are you being serious ? hahahahhahah 'froggie wellies' it is then..lol redip redip.

uplink
    Free Member

this week I will be mainly riding bicycles

Fuzzyfelt
    Free Member

Reminded me of this book:

Photo not that great – but if you can't spot them, he's wearing wellies!

garfield_cat
    Free Member

mb waterproof hiking boots/shoes be better, saw sum for £22.50..

BigJohn

There was an article in the mag about 5 or 6 years ago about a farmer who did just that. Singlespeeding with a massive gear and wellies.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Chap I went to school with had some cut off wellies with marker penned Nike tick on them, classic, so anything it seems is possible for the humble Wellington Boot!

tootin

no

Tracey

Mine worked in the floods

Tracey

garfield_cat
    Free Member

oooh, overshoes luks like a good option..

Burts
    Free Member

All-mountain XC trail enduro wellies:

Ambrose

This is what you need…

robhughes
    Free Member

All-mountain XC trail enduro wellies:
    is that a raceface logo on the top

garfield_cat
    Free Member

Looks like Hunter wellies, respect :p

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Are wellies good for mountain biking?’ is closed to new replies.