Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Are we losing our sense of adventure? Discuss
  • tommid
    Free Member

This is we, firstly as a society and secondly as the sport of Mountain biking.

In terms of our wider lack of adventure. Much of the world has been conquered and holds little miystery. We are lethargic and apathetic to most things, we are busied with so much that stops us from living and being excited..

As Mountain bikers we seem to ride on sanitised trails on bikes that compensate for error more and more. Did we really have less fun 15 years ago, on ridgid bikes with cantis?
    There is a rise of interest in bikepacking, but do events such as the Bearbones and WRT take the true adventure out of it as we look others to organise our adventures?

There are not my views necessarily, but I think an interesting topic of discussion. I have been mountain biking for more than 20 years now and I have seen it change so much and I can’t help but feel some of the fun has gone from it.

druidh
    Free Member

Define “we”

Mackem

Well, just do what YOU think is fun. If this is taking a hard-tail with Vs out in the wilds then do it.

I think most people mix things up a bit. Sometimes it’s nice to do natural, wild rides, sometimes a trail centre is nice. Sometimes camping in a remote spot is nice, sometimes a good hotel is nice.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    porter_jamie

i crossed the road without using the zebra crossing on the way to Waitrose today

aracer
    Free Member

I’m not “we”.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I sometimes go places in the car…………..with no sat nav OR MAP!!!

robsoctane
    Free Member

I don’t lack any adventure. Seems to me that life is what you make it and so I try my best right now, tomorrow it may be out of my hands.

yunki
    Free Member

Sometimes it’s nice to do natural, wild rides

no need to bring the OPs mum into this..

[/needlessly juvenile]

mikewsmith
    Free Member

A sport has been opened up to more people by providing more entry level trails. Couple that with a progression in riders and bikes some things may be easier. Made trail also provides a technical challenge allowing riders to progress.

On the other hand know loads who still ride predominantly out there in the real world. However linking up rides in a responsible way to avoid trawling through bogs etc is hard in poorer weather so a constructed trail wins there.

There are probably a similar number of riders doing out there stuff, just a lot more new comers who can get into the sport easier and have never had to go looking for trails like we used to do.

scaled
    Free Member

Ain’t no strava segments in the wilderness. What would be the point?

paul78
    Free Member

I think events like the Bearbones 200 and the WRT afford people the opportunity to be introduced to bikepacking and then go on to craft their own adventure.

cinnamon_girl

Disagree. I’m still enjoying my little adventurettes – the countryside is there for exploring. The secret is studying a map and looking for interesting things to incorporate into a ride.

crikey
    Free Member

Of course ‘we’ are.

Successive generations seem to be getting softer and softer, more and more insulated from the world around us. Mountain biking is a great example; it’s about driving to the place we ride, then driving home. It’s about the pads and the gloves and the helmet and the sports drinks and the gels and the first aid kit, not about the ride itself.

druidh
    Free Member

Most of my reading these days is other folk blogging about rides and walks they are doing “out there”. It seems to me that there are more than ever (although that may just be because it’s so easy to blog it these days). Bikepacking kit is developing – just look at how long that STW thread got!

Sanny
    Free Member

Auch, I wouldn’t worry. There’s definitely a new breed of mountain biker who has grown up with trail centres and tends to stick to them. It’s a narrow world view. Not wrong but different from what I like. I have to confess that
    Organised event rides have never been my bag. Riding round in circles for multiple laps seems like a bit of a waste of a day to me. Perhaps I’m just not competitive enough? Who knows?

As for the bikes changing, what we ride now are light years better and to my mind, make riding more fun. Having ridden some pretty tetchy stuff this weekend in the Lakes, I know I wouldn’t have been able to ride them with anywhere near as much a sense of fun and in control as I did on my full susser. Technology has opened up a whole world of possibilities for me. I could ride the same routes on my old rigid Fat Chance but when I have something that makes the riding both faster and safer, why would I bother other than to prove a point? Adventure is where you find it and doesn’t have to be miles from home.

Just don’t get me started on Strava and Endomondo pish! Ha! Ha!

davesmate
    Free Member

I don’t think many people ride trail centres every week though do they? Wild riding is all good and it’s what I do most of the time. Every now and then it’s good to leave the map at home and follow the arrows somewhere that you know is going to be relatively clean and guaranteed to raise a smile.

same with the bikepacking thing. If there was an event every weekend I don’t think many people would do them all but it’s nice to meet new folk who enjoy the same thing and have that element of competition now and again, even though bikepacking by it’s very nature is about getting away from the crowds most of the time

jameso

Nah. Not here anyway. Luddite when it comes to tech, yes. Having somekind of adventure as much as I can, yes )

Successive generations seem to be getting softer and softer, more and more insulated from the world around us. Mountain biking is a great example; it’s about driving to the place we ride, then driving home. It’s about the pads and the gloves and the helmet and the sports drinks and the gels and the first aid kit, not about the ride itself.

I’d say that’s a perception, not reality. People don’t climb everest in tweed jackets with half a ham in the rucksac anymore, but people have adventures that are relatively similar, the only thing that’s changed is communication has shrunk the world and made more beta available if you want it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

tommid, kaesae has stolen your log in…

Edric64
    Free Member

I have friends who ride Ashton court a lot .To me this is the dullest thing to do on a bike, sanitised gravel for the masses .I did it once and was bored shitless ,would much rather take a map and explore

RestlessNative
    Free Member

The WRT is whatever you organise it to be yourselve, it’s a race (with yourself) or a personal journey…whatever it is it will probably be wet 😉 Nothing much is actually organised for you other than some waypoints and tea and cake. It’s the best fun I had on my bike this year and I plan to be back next year.

Last night I packed up my rigid bike, went riding in the dark by myself, drank lots of rum, looked at the stars amd slept in a bothy. I don’t have loads of spare time so microadventures (copyright alistair humpreys) are cool and keep me vaguely sane before I am locked back up in the office for the week

You can keep your canti brakes though as I am old enough to have started with them!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I have friends who ride in the hills a lot .To me this is the dullest thing to do on a bike, boring dull trails and bogs .I did it once and spent the whole day carrying up stuff, wading through bogs, avoiding walkers and carrying down things that were unridable ,would much rather get out for a good blast and have a big smile on my face

It goes both ways, given the reported summer that has been going on finding good trails in good condition would have been tough.

To think of it as an either or is the dull bit. Both mixed together make for happiness (and not getting snobby about it)

alpin
    Free Member

As Mountain bikers we seem to ride on sanitised trails on bikes that compensate for error more and more.

speak for yourself…..

very rarely encounter other riders when out on the trails, but that is generally because we end up carrying for an hour or so to get to the remote peaks and trails. and all of that on a hardtail 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

To think of it as an either or is the dull bit. Both mixed together make for happiness (and not getting snobby about it)

At last, someone with some common dog. What a pointless bit of navel gazing this thread is and it’s absolutely guaranteed to bring out the worst of STW. Don’t like trail centres? Don’t **** ride them then! Not rocket science is it?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

absolutely guaranteed to bring out the worst of STW

You asked for it!! Common Dog are you calling my dog common!!

At last, someone with some common dog.

grum
    Free Member

We are lethargic and apathetic to most things, we are busied with so much that stops us from living and being excited..

We meaning you?

I have been mountain biking for more than 20 years now and I have seen it change so much and I can’t help but feel some of the fun has gone from it.

That’s a shame, but don’t make the mistake of assuming everyone is jaded just because you are.

Northwind

tommid – Member

Did we really have less fun 15 years ago, on ridgid bikes with cantis?

Oh yes. As far as I’m concerned, the mountain biking I like to do didn’t really exist when I took my first go at it. Or it did, maybe, but was harder to find.

All the stuff that you used to do is still available. Go and do it, if that’s what you think you’re missing. If you’re offered a choice- ie, trail centres, prepackaged events- and you take that choice, don’t complain about it not being the thing you chose not to do.

radoggair
    Free Member

i’ve also been mtbing for 20+ years and yes it was different back then, but when things progressed i progressed with them. Its what lifes all about, progression. Nothing about mtbing has been sanitised at all, more trails just become easier to access. My bike has went from steel thru alu, onto titanium and then carbon. Gears have went from 12 to 18, then 21, 24, 27 and now 20 and will probably go 11 soon. Forks have went rigid to suspension and brakes have went from canti to v’s, past magura’s and onto brakes. Its a huge part of mtbing i love is how it evolves. I can now ride things that i could only dream of 20 years ago, part of thats bike related, other is just natural evolvment.

The exciting part is people taking up mtbing now will see these as THEIR early years, and in 20 years time they’ll ask exactly the same questions as yourself. Do we really need such and such when 20 years ago disc brakes were ample etc etc

glasgowdan
    Free Member

POSTED 9 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST
    Sanny – Member

Just don’t get me started on Strava and Endomondo pish! Ha! Ha!

Great to hear someone else say this. I had a little rant about this crap recently and simply think tracking every metre of your ride is utter nonsense and about as far from adventure as you can get.

wwaswas

simply think tracking every metre of your ride is utter nonsense and about as far from adventure as you can get.

You’re right, all those Iditarod and Great Divide riders should ditch their spot trackers asap and get on with having a proper adventure.

Conversely, slinging somthing in your pack that lets you have a look at what you did once you get home just adds a bit of extra interest for some people.

Doesn’t change what they ride.

Doesn’t change where they ride.

Doesn’t change how they ride.

Can’t see the issue.

MSP

We live in a society* where its seems progressively more common to criticise others activity, instead of just getting on with our own fun and lives.

*STW anyway.

ps. My fathers generation seemed a lot less adventurous than ours, if anything technology and travel have opened up an amazing world of possibility and adventure not known to the vast majority of previous generations.

Joe

The world is getting smaller. It’s a great shame…but its progress. And the more people who become keen to “adventure”…the less adventurous it is, because 90% of adventure is perception anyway.

40 years ago, going to somewhere third world on holiday was quite adventurous…now every 18 year old kid spends 12 months trotting round Asia.

br
    Free Member

ps. My fathers generation seemed a lot less adventurous than ours, if anything technology and travel have opened up an amazing world of possibility and adventure not known to the vast majority of previous generations.

MSP

Or did they just have their kids younger with the consequential mortgage/responsibilties?

saxabar
    Free Member

Much of the world has been conquered

While landmasses perhaps, there’s so much we don’t know about what goes on in the world. I’m flummoxed by mysteries daily.

we seem to ride on sanitised trails on bikes that compensate for error more and more.

I ride harder trails or the same trails faster, or just enjoy the scenery.

There are not my views necessarily, but I think an interesting topic of discussion.

Cop out!

I can’t help but feel some of the fun has gone from it.

New trails and adventures required. Time to head out into new places and “conquer” those for yourself.

munrobiker
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/2010-a-year-in-mountains

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/2011-a-year-in-mountains

This year’s instalment is already set to contain more adventures that 2010 and 2011. My sense of adventure is truly intact, thanks!

I have ridden less trail centres this year purely because I’ve moved from being right next to the 7 Stanes to England. Trail centres are trails to ride, and you get more fun packed into the same time, which is great when you are squeezed for time. I could ride all of Glentress in a couple of hours easily but now I live in the Peak District I have to link a few ribbons of trail together with a fair whack of road.

People riding bikes is good, wherever it is, and some people do this for fun, not “adventure”. It’s like the difference between people going for a jog with their mates around their housing estate and an off road ultra marathon runner- same sport, but each would consider the other’s way of doing it not fun, and not see the point of it. And why ride bikes if it’s not fun?

And Strava has made me better at bikes- fitter, and forced me to focus my skills, which is useful in the mountains where you want to come out in one piece. And now I can look back at all the trails I’ve ridden, which is nice.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

but now I live in the Peak District I have to link a few ribbons of trail together with a fair whack of road.

Pfff…you’re riding the wrong bits then. 😀

munrobiker
    Free Member

Not from where I live- it’s road all the way, unless I want a mediocre ride out there through Rivelin. Which isn’t really the best source of quality trails.

yunki
    Free Member

It’s interesting.. perhaps it’s an older persons game now..?
    A lot of people are coming into it in their mid life crisis, with salary, mortgage and kids to worry about.. With no time for trial and error, it makes sense to have their McHobby in a strictly portion controlled styrofoam container.. With an allocated time slot, set targets to live out the competitive urges and a handy meeting point to compare willies before and debrief over a latte after.. Even the Cairngorm plateau and Ben Huey is a trail centre now

The new folk coming into it, the young dumb and full of cum guys with disposable income and time on their hands that would have traditionally been looking for adventure, can now be as adventurous as they like by simply donning armour and full face helmet and hurling themselves upon gravity’s mercy.. the adventure coming from the next road gap or drop, as they hurtle down the Redbull Energy McWorld Cup Course round the back of Natwest in Swindon..

And those few hardy souls that crave something more…? Well their kicks come on the McAlpine adventure week, or McMunro weekend, STW endorsed with plenty to write home about.. MaccaPacka bivvy bags surgically attached to their backs..

And the folk that won’t fit into my neat stereotypes..? The wild cards that we can’t predict..?
    Training for their next 100 mile sportive..

Or on here.. Whingeing

oliverd1981
    Free Member

and the first aid kit

I don’t think that really belongs in the category with energy gels full sussers and body armour. Sometimes it’s kind of necessary to have things sanitary.

I know that bikes do represent a lot of freedom for people but lets be honest there is only so much of the world that is actually rideable. You can push out the sides of your enevelope a bit by getting more remote, riding more technical trails, going faster, jumping higher and for all of these needs there are horses and indeed courses.

The only real difference between trundling round a trail centre and trudging across some traction foresaken uplands is the kind of story you can tell when you get home, and the context in which you use the word “Sweet”

wwaswas

I think reallyt ‘adventure’ is about where you go in your head as much as where you go on the ground.

As a kid I played in the woods and a stream about a mile from my house for what seemed like days (but was really just the gap between lunch and tea). The sense of adventure was enormous, the freedom from adult control, the sense of discovering new places etc.

Now I go to the woods on my bike and, in my head, it’s still an adventure – I ride the same stuff a lot but it’s always different, always a surprise. I discover new things about myself, leave daily life behind and escape into a world where all that matters is turnign a pedal or lifting a front wheel.

I don’t ‘do’ trail centres so I can’t comment but I can say I have an adventure a couple of times a week that always starts with me wheeling my bike out the front door and throwing a leg over it.

and I hope I always do.

jameso

Did we really have less fun 15 years ago, on ridgid bikes with cantis?

Depends how you define fun, but I’d say no, it wasn’t any less fun. It felt new, exciting, it opened up my world and we started to explore the hills and trails in a 20-ish mile radius of where we lived as a bunch of 12-14 year olds on bikes, good times, never been so knackered. Never lost that feeling. I saw a group of kids of the same age miles from a carpark doing the same last weekend and thought ‘good for them..’ .. and for the parents that let them out.

In fact as I was slogging in the mud looking for trail links a few weeks ago I had a clear memory of exploring the lanes near my home alone on my bmx in the summer, at 7 or 8 years old.
    30 years on and some things haven’t changed. I’m sure it’s the same for a lot of others, this perception that we’re all going soft is daft, just a negative outlook on life. Some are, they always were.
    You can’t see through other’s eyes, but some still judge.

(edit – www, here’s to that)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Are we losing our sense of adventure? Discuss’ is closed to new replies.