Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • are we in for another cold winter ? footwear on the bike
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

tempted by snow boots and straps for this winter …. HATE cold feet.

got shimano goretex winter boots and diadora chillis , neither are particularly warm @ -18 degrees c . Both helped surviving at the puffer greatly but wasnt comfortable thats for sure and commuting to work was hell at times – my commute is longer now so comfort is paramount!

thinking a pair of lightweight baffins and a pair of charlie the bike mongers adjustable “re straps”

anyone tried this combo ? thinking baffins might be too big for the pedals and rub like **** ?

already got pogies for my hands.

snow chains/winter tires next for the van next…. – might seem overkill but if you know what the road to my isolated house was like youd have em in the van for sure

Filthy
    Free Member

I’m hoping for lots of snow… just bought a pugsley

trail_rat
    Free Member

i havnt done that yet – im looking at them with lust but i just bought a ragley TD-1 and a thorn raven enduro so i need to sell bikes before i can have any more !

j_me
    Free Member

Rowan trees say no. Mild winter this year.

(well probably as good a medium forecast as any)

cyclistm
    Free Member

Anyone used those feet warmers? there are some karrimor ones in my local trainer shop for a few quid, supposed to last up to 8 hours

aviemoron
    Free Member

J_me, eh? Rowan trees round here say yes and as for the Snowberries!

Tracker1972
    Free Member

You have talking Rowan trees?

j_me
    Free Member

Rowan trees round here say yes

Bugger berries all on rowan the trees down here, and definitely lots less than last year.
    Maybe another bumper cairn gorm ski season then.

trail_rat
    Free Member

should possibly add i live near aberdeen within sensible riding distance of mount keen etc so its not laaandaaan town up here

j_me
    Free Member

Snow tyres are probably worth it. I dont drive off the trunk roads enough to warrant it any more but my folks used to rely on them over the winter, they made a serious difference (they never used chains though). They would buy a set and swap them in/out in the autumn/spring.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i have spare wheels for the van anyway – handles well in the snow as it is due to the cookie cutter effect and some weight. will get snow tires put on the sparewheels i have for it for the front end – my driveway is hella steep so could be the difference between getting out and not …

as for the baffin boots suggestion – it was entirely serious – has anyone tried to ride in a pair – shaggy,aidan carl any of you iditarod racers – what do you use ? im sure what you guys use is overkill for me but i want some warm footwear esp as at the end of this project ill feel the cold – working outside in blazing sun @ 30degrees in 100% humidity.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Skate shoes washed in Nikwax, sealskin socks (under leggings so water runs over not into them.

IME avoiding puddles is more important than supertech clothes, as long as your dry and moving you could keep warm in a t-shirt*.

*I dont suggest actualy trying this

GW
    Free Member

not sure what boots you’re on about but I’ve been known to race DH in work wellies in the past, they’re very grippy on flats, comfy/toasty with work socks and mine had steel toecaps – just think of it as extra resistance training 😉

oh, yeah.. I always wear trousers rather than shorts/lycra even for road/XC so no water can get in from the top.

trail_rat
    Free Member

gary baffin make a few different boots for arctic exploration and working on the rigs etc

my boss showed me a pair of his for working alaska and i thought shit me they are the bomb for warmth and waterproofness

if you can ride in wellies then these should be good

they are not as expensive as the lake cycling shoes.

going to see if i can borrow my bosses to try riding round the yard at work – can see them being too wide

lunge

Socks are the key IMO. Big think wool socks make even a summer shoes warm.

When it is really cold i wear thin silk liner socks, thick smartwool socks and a pair of gore-tex lined midweight walking boots. I’ve never had cold foot with that combo.

trail_rat
    Free Member

ive done the socks thing to death , and tried buying bigger shoes (goretex ones)

all that happens is you cant wear the shoes with normal socks in the wet and warm because your feet move about in them …

ive also insulated the insole with the foil bubble wrap with a felt top in place of the insole.

it also depends how long you go out to ride for and if you can pick your weather , i like to ride all day when i want to ride rather than when the weather lets me

woody2000

I find the main problem is down to your feet being essentially dead meat at the end of your legs. Pedalling for hours on end means your feet just go numb, and therefore cold (especially when it’s freezing, as your body’s diverting blood to vital organs). I find it’s better to stop and get off the bike every now and then & get some blood back to the feet!

Aidan
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon has obviously never ridden anywhere cold. At one point in Alaska it was nearly up to 0C and quite still, so I took my jacket off. It wasn’t long before the wind chill created by my movement cut through me and I was straight back onto the jacket. A mere glance at windchill charts will tell you that windproof is where it’s at. You don’t need much more than that over your core when you’re moving, but you do need an outer shell.

To answer trailrat’s question, I wore (and intend to wear next year) trainers with thin socks, wools socks and Neos Navigator boots. Below -20C, I’d throw in some chemical warmers as well. I rode on Shimano DX flats with no straps.

trail_rat
    Free Member

cheers aidan il look into that – agree on the core business – i generally just wear a merino top under an endura stealth jacket ….. and im toasty but hands and feet need kept warm , last year on SS i wore marmot mitts with chemical warmer packets on the back with thin liners under only had to use the warmers a couple times !

Ax3M4n
    Free Member

– Sealskin socks, calf length, warm (already mentioned above)
    – Northwave Goretex Expedition – if you use spd/clips (not cheap at £120 but well insulated, and your feet have some room to breath.
    – Goretex hiking shoes/boots for flats – try Berghaus or Merril for flexible, lightweight and insulated

trail_rat
    Free Member

warm enough for most rides but there were about 20 days last year i wished for warmer feet – and 24 hours in particular that even with warm socks , those shoes AND neoprene overshoes duct taped on i was still cold footed – just MTFU`ed but wanted to be more comfortable

trail_rat
    Free Member

those neos look good aidan – shame there is a fair old waiting list for anything other than the 0 rated base model (that in its self speaks volumes for the kit)

ebygomm
    Free Member

I’ve worn 3 season mountaineering boots on the bike before, toasty warm toes 🙂 But normally just stick to normal hiking boots and wool socks. From listening to others, using spd’s where your foot is kept in one position leads to cold feet quicker irrespective of the shoe compared to flats.

I’ve also got special Dachstein mitts (lobster claw shaped) which are brilliant for on the bike.

ton

i have been saying spd’s are no good for winter for years.
    when your foot is not moving and it is sat on a stiff steel sole insert, it is gonna get very cold.
    last year i used 5/10’s and smartwool merino socks all winter.
    warmest my feet have been through a winter.
    got a pair of merino sealskins this year, so hoping a bit more waterproof will make this winter a bit better again. 8)

MrSparkle
    trail_rat
    Free Member

im going to order a pair of the baffin punishers – if you can ride in the neos then i should be ok in the baffins – i was just worried they would be 2 wide !

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘are we in for another cold winter ? footwear on the bike’ is closed to new replies.