Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • are we going to miss out on a 'proper' winter this year then?
  • scandalous
    Free Member

With these near constant low pressure systems parked / clamped to the north and west of Scotland, mild(ish) wet weather seems to be the order of the day

so for the majority of the UK, do you think we are going to miss out on a ‘proper’ winter this year?

would love a week of total chaos snow fall and then for it to disappear into a warm lovely spring!

thepurist

It seems that we’re stuck for at least another week/10 days of damp dreariness then after mid Feb the chances of a proper freeze start to diminish pretty quick.

Bored with the current weather pattern though – didn’t even think about getting the bikes out at the weekend…

mrmo
    Free Member

after last winter, not sure, I really don’t want cold crap weather in May and June again!!!
    Snow isn’t unusual for Cheltenham Gold Cup, mid march, and not unknown for HONC in early April.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    5thElefant
    Free Member

We went 25 years without a proper winter until 5 years ago. So yes, probably.

Northwind

Finally got my tyres in some snow yesterday, but not proper winter riding 🙁 Too much one year, not enough the next, I love snow.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yeah, I reckon so.
    To be honest, the wetness suits me as I’m doing a 50 mile round trip commute by motorbike, and that’s a no-go in ice and snow!

annebr
    Free Member

I reckon this weather will hang around for 10 months then we’ll get winter proper

🙁

hora
    Free Member

We had snow drifts on some trails in April still in the Peaks.

A few weeks ago I was almost stuck in a snap bad-blizzard on Snake Pass.

Don’t say anything yet- anything can happen. All it takes is the wind to swirl the wrong way……

atlaz
    Free Member

I optimistically put the studded tyres onto my spare wheels a month back when we had a light dusting of snow. Pretty much haven’t had a single flake since then.

ant0463
    Free Member

I hate to brag (no, really) but these are the conditions I was riding in on Saturday: –

”Brevado”: Achnashellach XC by Anthony Round, on Flickr

This is the North West Highlands of Scotland of course and made for some fantastic riding. Original plan was Glenlivet but they had so much snow they were forced to close the roads.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

For me it can stay like this. I don’t mind cold, crisp frosty mornings but snow absolutely no. I can’t get to work till 0900 when I’m supposed to start at 0700 as the first train from Darwen to Preston is not early enough and Irefuse to pay £30 in a taxi.

I ride a motorbike so snow is a no go.

But I hope summer is as good as last year as I missed most of it due to leg break and knee injury. I’m not riding Mtb at moment because of a fractured finger.

hora
    Free Member

I optimistically put the studded tyres onto my spare wheels a month back when we had a light dusting of snow. Pretty much haven’t had a single flake since then.

I put full Continental snow tyres on my car. They are like anti-snow tyres FFS! If I put full slicks on I bet it’d be chest deep in snow within minutes..

Alex

Me, heading over the ridge to the top of Y-DAS by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Wales was muddy 😉 As muddy as I’ve ever seen it on that loop, and it’s never dry to start with. All our local trails are pretty much in the same state. I’ve been considering fitting road tyres to my CX bike.

Still we live in a storm tossed island in the middle of a big sea and in the way of many noisy weather systems, so not too much to be surprised about. Last year the frozen trails were great, but I got very bored of the cold by the end of March!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m stuck indoors on the Turbo, bring it on!

slowjo
    Free Member

Mainly stuck indoors on a turbo +1 but that is nothing to do with the weather.

Had a couple of hours on the trails yesterday. No mud, no puddles, no soggy trails, just firm and damp mud. Racing Ralphs were almost overkill.

Sunny Suffolk….that’s where it’s at!

nedrapier

I rode Llangdela on Friday. 3in of snow on the trail, rain/sleet/snow and 40mph+ winds. That long drag out in the open was brutal. I was light on layers cos I thought it would be a quick thrash, we’d be sheltered by the trees, and I’d be able to go as fast as I wanted and ride little loops back to Wife when I got ahead.

I wasn’t banking on the snow meaning as soon as I got out of the saddle (SS) the rear would slip, I could only sit back on the saddle and slowly churn the pedals to keep traction. Couldn’t build speed any speed because of the snow braking, couldn’t do anything quick enough to keep warm. I could have got off and run, but the grip on 5.10 dotty stealth wouldn’t have helped much either!

Good fun riding once back in the trees, but the painfully numb feet took the edge off somewhat. Proper winter, but I enjoyed Cli-machx with sunshine, without snow, wind and sub-zero temps on the Sunday a hell of a lot more!

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’d say the end of Feb will be rather bitterly cold with a heavy frost and maybe snow right down here in that Lonjon. I predict chaos.
    Other than that I think at best we will now just get sharp frosts and occasional snow flurries in the South.

We’ve had one of the best windsurfing seasons for a good number of years now, warm water (>10C) and winds >16knts most days with the storms blowing the wig off on occasion.

It’s been rather ACE 8)

cloudnine
    Free Member

Road tyres arrived for my cx bike today. Mud guards fitted last week. Sneak in rides between the really wet days as we seem to have a dry afternoon and evening twice a week .

Andy-R

Our weather has been crap since the start of November – yesterday was a very welcome change. I wasn’t out riding though as I went out walking with my wife instead.
    Back to crap again today though.

fergal
    Free Member

The Scottish ski areas are not lacking snow, upper levels 2.85m, a lot more than Whistler or the Alps, the most they have had for flippin years. 😀

weare138
    Free Member

It snowed 22nd March in north Shropshire last year, the latest I remember it since I was wee.

Kryton57

Whats wrong with everybody? I was out in the sun in Kent & Sussex doing 95k on Sunday, and very nice it was too.

seosamh77
    Free Member

annebr – Member
    I reckon this weather will hang around for 10 months then we’ll get winter proper

yip, unfortunately

geoffj

5thElefant – Member
    We went 25 years without a proper winter until 5 years ago. So yes, probably.
    POSTED 3 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

This ^ nothing new about this weather. And I’d much rather have it than loads of snow.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s not over yet. Biggest snowfall and coldest winter weather I can remember was in 82/83 in the Midlands, it snowed on my sister’s birthday on the 22nd Feb. My sister got a bike and insisted on riding it. My poor Dad had to do a lot of shovelling!

Defender
    Free Member

Last year we had snow and storms on 11th March in southern England, I know that for certain as I was on a ferry to Jersey, it was gusting force 8 and the ferry couldn’t into St Peter Port, Guernsey as it was too rough, we got into St Helier OK., but they’d had worst snow in over 30 years.
    This was what it was like a couple of days later:-

The airport was closed for 2 1/2 days, there were drifts 3-5 feet deep, when we left on the 15th there were still roads closed due to the snow!
    Don’t write winter off just yet?

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘are we going to miss out on a 'proper' winter this year then?’ is closed to new replies.