Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 169 total)
  • Are we getting a bit to precious about weight?
  • U31
    Free Member

Fat boy gets you on the floor and its game over unless you've been trained in wrestling..

fat boy manages to bear hug you your F****d

If fat boy knows how to punch, and has had some training previous to getting fat, your also in trouble.. your defence would lie in wearing him/ her down..

Underestimating your opponent loses you fights, mat!

On an aside, a boxing mate of mine couldnt get many fights (at the time no opponents of the same weight ) at his natural fighting weight, 16st if i recall, so dropped weight to the next class (14 st?), ive never seen him loose a fight so comprehensively before… excuse if i have the weights wroong, this was 20 year ago and dont follow / cant remembr owt about boxing any more!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

So that's why I've never lost (out of many) a single one on one street fight then is it (ahem – I have VERY much lost me against 6 and me against 4 as the hospital trips will testify)?

Fat boy will NOT get a half decent scrapper on the floor and he will NOT land a punch because you can see it from a mile off.

6 years karate, 7 years kickboxing including teaching and good placings in national comps is useful. Being fat isn't.

backhander
    Free Member

having fought many lardy people in kickboxing sparring and tournaments

I know how tournaments work and also that you'll have only fought people at your weight which is only about 11 stone right? So were your opponents a good few inches shorter also? you're about 5'9"? reach helps.
    Even sparring, you'll only have fought heavier blokes who are less skilled.
    Law of the jungle states that a good big 'un will always beat a good little 'un. Well done on the tournaments BTW but these sports don't translate literally onto the streets. I'd guess you've been a bit lucky there.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Backhander – I've had many, many street fights from crazy Uni days and beyond. Also worked a few doors over the years.

It's the smaller, wiry but confident people that make me nervous, not the shouty, oversized thug wannabees.

How the hell do you know my weight and height though?!

U31
    Free Member

Innit, think about the mechanics of a punch..not an untrained punch, but someone who knows how… starts from the legs upwards, back, shoulder, that's an awful lot of mass and energy, especially with a heavy man..
    If that connects, even if it doesn't knock you on your ass, its gonna rob a helluva lot of energy out of your own fight

U31
    Free Member

Agreed on the mouthy thugs, Mat, those who know how to fight know they dont need to shout the odds…

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

U31 – yes if it connects it will hurt but if you LET it connect, you really shouldn't be attempting to get involved.

It will be slower and easier to spot than a quick punch from a well trained non fatty.

Also about taking hits though – you can train forever in a dojo but never know how to take a wallop.

U31
    Free Member

Amen to that brother!

backhander
    Free Member

Mat I think you've posted it about 5 times!!! I reckon I could also find your %body fat and BMI!
    Fair play I've never seen a doorman your size. WTF did you go to uni?
    As a general rule, the one with the least amount of alcohol in him usually wins the fight. Still disagree that all you need for a six pack is an absence of fat. I take it you don't bother ab training then?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Who cares who could fight who 😯 [running away] – really would be good to get back on topic? Yes? No? ………….

U31
    Free Member

The best bouncer who i know(who also happens to be the afore mentioned boxer mate of mine's uncle) was a boxer, boxing coach, olympic standard wrestler, who used to train the local cops to wrestle….

If it kicked off in a club he'd just stand back and let the protagonists and young "Lump" bouncers fight to exhaustion.. then walk over and casually handcuff the prone bodies and restrain till the cops arrived! Very very seldom did i see him trade blows. Legend.

Reet, back on topic, chaps!!!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Back – lots of ab training as I know the value of a strong stomach but I still don't think it's the key part of six pack revealage. Went to Swansea Uni – English + surfer + student = aggro! TBH I got quite a buzz from it, sad as it may seem.

U31 – sounds good! I know a complete hippy who was a PTI instructor in the Marines for years. He genuinely flattened five aggro blokes once when a mate of his was whacked for no reason. Little wiry guy with long hair and about as scary looking as a vole.

Anyway back in topic – errmm – what was the topic?

backhander
    Free Member

Although not a PTI, I was an Army Commando for a good few years.
    A lot of my old mates are now at Hereford and Poole. No, I don't know the colour of the boathouse at Hereford but I do at Poole!
    They're not particularly small guys.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Back – only did selection for the Marines (POC and AIB) at Lympestone. Passed, was offered met my now wife (who wasn't keen), didn't go for it.

From my small number of days there, I spotted all sizes of Marine from pretty small to proper monsters. Most of the officers were pretty average sized.

A very odd experience – a student (at the time) being called "sir" and getting the full silver service treatment then getting utterly beasted on the various physical tests!

backhander
    Free Member

Ah, Lympestone. I did some instructing (as DS) down there a few years ago. Great place. GET YOUR **** HEELS TOGETHER WHEN YOU TALK TO ME!!! hahaha

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

BH – all a bit of a blur but it's a cracking location. And yes, my heels are locked together…!

I often surf with a Marine helicopter pilot. Top bloke and a nutter in big waves.

molgrips
    Free Member

Right, back on topic.

Mol – a bike weights a fraction of what a rider does

True, but it's not that important. You, as the rider have to manhandle the bike around things and through things. In a car, the tyres and engine are doing the work – on a bike it's just you. You have to really work with what little traction your tyres give.

You've posted on here before that your riding isn't as good as your other sports, maybe that's the issue? Have you ever compared and contrasted similar bikes of different weights? And I don't mean some ultra compromised 17lb weenie machine…

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Mol – yes I have. My wife's 17" Rockhopper that weighs about 28lbs and my 17" Stumpjumper which weighs 22-23lbs (not weighed it properly). Both are HT XC orientated machines; so plenty of opportunity to compare.

I doubt a lardy rider would be any quicker on the Stumpy than the Rockhopper. A fit rider will notice the difference and be more rapid.

As for riding – I'm used to being good at stuff and with MTBing, I've won an offroad tri (admittedly Sprint distance and fairly local) partly thanks to the MTB section – so while not at the level of surfing or running, it's still not bad. Can struggle riding with a mate of mine but he's an Elite rider and often podiums at big events. Another won a fairly big local race too. Luckily I thrash them both running…;-)

molgrips
    Free Member

Does your stumpy feel nicer to ride than the rockhopper? I assume you've ridden both.

I don't think the lardiness of the rider is an issue. The competence is.

After all I've been schooled in both riding (up and down) and climbing by some right fat sacks of lard that the typical STW snobs wouldn't think could climb the stairs without wheezing.

There is a strong correlation between lardiness and unfitness, but there is NOT a causal link. Everyone knows a fat but fit person.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I don't know any fit fat people.

The Stumpy feels sharper and reacts quicker than the RH partly due to it's racier geometry but also better components. The weight makes a difference for sure but I think a lardy rider would need the added strength of the RH to avoid busting stuff.

molgrips
    Free Member

Given that your bike has to be strong enough for its task, handle well, and be set up well – light is better.

Simples.

molgrips
    Free Member

Re fit fat blokes, I was in a climbing wall in Manchester trying to climb up and over an archway, and back down the other side. A fair few holds although no super jugs, and it was very physical since you had to switch your feet around whilst being upside down hanging from the ceiling. I tried many times and got closer and closer. This proper short fat blobby guy with super jugs of his own came up and said 'oh it's not that hard' and did it in the most superb fluid graceful action. Tremendous, since rock climbing must be one of the sports where being proper lardy puts you at the biggest disadvantage.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Surf-Mat – Member

The Stumpy feels sharper and reacts quicker than the RH partly due to it's racier geometry but also better components.

Do you know this or have you just accepted "magazine wisdom"?

The weight makes a difference for sure but I think a lardy rider would need the added strength of the RH to avoid busting stuff.

The RH is unlikely to be any stronger, the SJ will be as it is using better tubing. Heavier does not necessarily mean stronger.

richmtb

richmtb – Member

The Blur is feels faster going up (better shock) and a lot faster going down, better geometry and stiffer

Fixed that for ya! No need to thank me!

Cynic-al, are you saying now matter how much better a bike pedals, a lighter bike will always be faster up hill?

scottishbadger
    Free Member

+1 on both of those points.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Al – what a stupid thing to write. I don't read MTB mags – haven't done for years. The difference in the bikes is subtle but definitely there – the Stumoy feels more like a road bike at times – twitchier but faster reacting. Gear shifts are snappier, brakes are better and it feels more efficient. Or was that just a sly attempt at a put down yet again?

I'm pretty sure Toras are stronger than Fox 90RLs, pretty sure alu bars are stronger than carbon ones, etc, etc. The RH feels "safer" jumping than the Stumpy.

Mol – he clearly had technique then. He's be quicker if he wasn't fat though.

scottishbadger
    Free Member

I thought Stumpjumpers were mountain bikes? How on earth could you compare the two?

molgrips
    Free Member

pretty sure alu bars are stronger than carbon ones

Not true.

Mol – he clearly had technique then. He's be quicker if he wasn't fat though

What he had was an incredible amount of strength. Which he might not have had if he'd been congenitally skinny. I think that the tendency to be brutally strong TENDS to come with a tendency to gain weight in fat – in active people. Not comparing athletes with couch potatoes here, but active people with other active people.

I'm more powerful than most other folk I know who have used power meters, and I have more muscle mass – but more fat too.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I thought Stumpjumpers were mountain bikes? How on earth could you compare the two?

And so is a Rockhopper. What are you getting at?

Mol – fair enough – most "Worlds Strongest Man" winners are packing a bit of fat (apart from the loony Polish guy) but I bet they can't run very far.

I'd rather be strong and toned though any day. High power to weight ratio comes in handy all the time.

poppa
    Free Member

Ok, we've solved the problem of weight-weeniesm now, but which is better, a hardtail or a full sus?

scottishbadger
    Free Member

The simple point that you were comparing you SJ to a road bike. You didn't compare your RH to a road bike did you?

molgrips
    Free Member

Sure Mat, but it takes all sorts 🙂

WSM is interesting actually, because the blokes do vary quite a bit, and the events they have to do reflect that.

I'd also rather be strong and toned. I have the potential to be a great cyclist, but it's quite hard for me to lose the lard.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

The simple point that you were comparing you SJ to a road bike. You didn't compare your RH to a road bike did you?

No I wasn't! I was comparing a Stumpy to a Rockhopper – both hardtail mountain bikes with 27 gears and disk brakes. Pretty darn similar really. My Stumpy is super agile a bit like a road bike (we also have an Allez) but that's as far as the comparison goes.

Mol – the body builder style guys always used to get wooped by the lardier guys but with the arrival of that Polish guy, there seems to be a few more similar types with veins popping out, fake perma tan and a keeness to full body wax.

HTTP404
    Free Member

That claim about the tendency of active fat people to be stronger than their slimmer active counter-parts is pure pub science.

backhander
    Free Member

Actually the 2 most sucessfull WSMs were both muscle men; Jón Páll Sigmarsson and Mariusz Pudzianowski. Bill Kazmair and Jouko Ahola were also not what I'd class as fat.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Backhander – both recentish winners though. I'd say it used to be won by lardier blokes more often than not – Maruisz P (what a name!) really seemed to change it all. Freaky physique.

backhander
    Free Member

Maybe, but that was before people learned the science, which is that fat has no strength. In days gone by, big blokes were just big blokes who had a bit of fat and a lot of muscle and of course were the stromgest around becaise of their muscle. We know that fat is useless and this has been proven year on year since the 80s. I doubt we'll see any more fatties win the WSM.

molgrips
    Free Member

That claim about the tendency of active fat people to be stronger than their slimmer active counter-parts is pure pub science.

It's not science at all. It's a casual observation. But I bet there's some value in it.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Backhander – interesting and agree with all that.

Back on topic (ish) – I think some people rest of the "crutch" of bike lightness because it's easier to throw a few hundred quid at a bike to lighten it than concentrate on getting fitter and less lardy.

molgrips
    Free Member

Odd thing to say. It's not a "crutch" at all. It's not like we are all chasing some kind of performance goal and need to make a certain time to validate ourselves, is it?

Light bikes feel nice.

Being skinny helps you ride fast.

The two things are unrelated. The idea that people lighten their bikes because they think it'll make they riding gods is a total fallacy.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 169 total)

The topic ‘Are we getting a bit to precious about weight?’ is closed to new replies.