Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 148 total)
  • Are we at war with Russia now?
  • wrecker
    Free Member

So a bit like the West then.

Yep.
    If you’re happy for the west to behave like this, then you’ll not be too bothered about the russians doing it.

badnewz
    Free Member

Amidst all the hysteria, I have to say I feel for Obama.
    He has had war-mongering neocons biting at his ankles for military intervention in the Ukraine, which he withstood.
    Now the media is setting him up as a weak leader who is getting pushed around by bullyboy Putin. Obama knows the Americans don’t want any more wars so is acting like a representative president.
    The neocons still want a showdown with Russia. Thankfully he is in his last term, so doesn’t need to start wars for election purposes.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I don’t get that :

Obama knows the Americans don’t want any more wars so is acting like a representative president………….. Thankfully he is in his last term, so doesn’t need to start wars for election purposes.

If he knows that ‘Americans don’t want any more wars’ why would he ‘start wars for election purposes’ if he was in his first term ?

Btw I don’t feel in the least bit sorry for Obama. He could have been a different president but as it turns out he’s barely distinguishable from a Republican imo.

badnewz
    Free Member

If he knows that ‘Americans don’t want any more wars’ why would he ‘start wars for election purposes’ if he was in his first term ?

Your right, a contradiction in my earlier statement. I’m hoping that the majority of Americans are now against military intervention, period. But as a country it does suffer from a messianic attitude and this means it is relatively easy to turn the average American into a warmonger, especially if words like “democracy” are flung around by neocons in the press.

So I expect the future Presidential candidates to start using anti-Russian sentiments in their speeches from now on. Hilary Clinton will definitely play this card, and if she gets elected on an anti-Russian platform…well, find your closest nuclear bunker.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’m hoping that the majority of Americans are now against military intervention, period.

Ah fair enough.

it is relatively easy to turn the average American into a warmonger, especially if words like “democracy” are flung around …

Probably the same as the UK then. When Argentina invaded the Falklands the overwhelming majority of people didn’t have a clue where the Islands were, yet despite that and the fact there had been no historical hostility between Argentina and the UK, and therefore no long softening up with decades of anti-Argentine rhetoric, the British public were pretty much overnight prepared to support the most serious military conflict since Korea. Despite having been told just previously by their prime minister that the government coffers were allegedly empty (it’s a very old Tory script)

And that’ll be the same public btw who couldn’t give a toss when 2 years earlier the British Nationality Act 1981 had stripped Falkland Islanders of their full British nationality and right of entry to the UK.

Klunk
    Free Member

Germany, Italy, Japan, France

one of the differences with that lot is they were the aggressors. Perhaps if we’d kick out saddam after the invasion of Kuwait, and not waited 10 years things might not have gone so badly.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Spain under Franco

5thElefant
    Free Member

one of the differences with that lot is they were the aggressors. Perhaps if we’d kick out saddam after the invasion of Kuwait, and not waited 10 years things might not have gone so badly.

They were proper countries. The ones in the middle east are arbitrary boxes drawn on a map by the French and British, whose inhabitants have only one thing in common: they want to kill each other.

chewkw
    Free Member

I totally support Russian intervention. Putin has done the right thing. Now let’s kick ass! (strong Merican accent 😆 )

In the meantime let’s see if F35 will be starting a dogfight with with Suhkoi etc … that should be interesting.

Northwind

Luckily we have Trident, which will keep the Russians in line and stop them doing things we don’t like, like bombing people and annexing chunks of countries. This is why we have to renew it- to make sure they don’t start any of that shenanigans

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Perhaps if we’d kick out saddam after the invasion of Kuwait, and not waited 10 years things might not have gone so badly.

There’s plenty of evidence that George Bush Senior for all his rhetoric was opposed to the overthrow of Saddam.

During the final stages of the First Gulf War as the Iraqi regime quickly buckled under the overwhelming power of the coalition forces the panic in the White House was palpable. IIRC the French Foreign Legion were the most advanced approaching Baghdad when George Bush Senior ordered an immediate cessation of military action.

George Bush Senior then went on to encourage an insurrection against Saddam, and while people throughout Iraq responded he then just simply sat back and let Saddam slaughter them.

As Colin Powell Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said in his book My American Journey :

“our practical intention was to leave Baghdad enough power to survive as a threat to Iran that remained bitterly hostile toward the United States.”

The No-Fly Zone helped to achieve that aim of Saddam being in power but under control until they decided to dispose of him 12 years later under the pretext of WMDs.

chewkw
    Free Member

Northwind – Member

Luckily we have nuclear weapons which will prevent Russia from doing things we don’t like. If we don’t renew trident, they’ll probably do stuff like bombing syria.

In the nuke war UK will suffer most because of the population concentration while other larger country like Russia have plenty of space to hide.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

whose inhabitants have only one thing in common: they want to kill each other.

What a crass comment. Every war in the region, such as the Iraq Iran War, has been encouraged by the West.

Before Europeans came along meddling the Middle East had experienced something like 600 years of peace. Quite unlike Europe of course.

slowoldman

The Russian way is to have/support a strong leader who can keep a lid on factional in-fighting. Even if they are an utter ba***** their own people.

ninfan
    Free Member

In the nuke war UK will suffer most because of the population concentration while other larger country like Russia have plenty of space to hide

Nonsense, in a nuclear war the cities of the north will be safe because they clubbed together to call themself ‘nuclear free zones’

If that doesn’t keep them safe, what will?

dragon
    Free Member

Always amused me that nuclear free zone that is Manchester, while all the nuclear work goes on just outside in Warrington.

FuzzyWuzzy

The Russian way is to have/support a strong leader who can keep a lid on factional in-fighting. Even if they are an utter ba***** their own people.

That’s been the US doctrine to until the dictators they were propping up ended up being more of a problem than creating a failed state.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Looks a bit shit doesn’t it – Russia says it’s bombing IS positions, it’s not – mistakes get made all the time in war of course, we’ve bombed the wrong people in the past – but this seems deliberate.

The shit will hit the fan if a Western Training Advisor (or whatever they call Special Forces / Intelligence Services these days) gets killed, the Americans have little tolerance for ‘one of there’s’ getting killed.

They may try for a UN enforced no-fly zone which will pretty much nullify outside intervention from either side.

legend
    Free Member

In the meantime let’s see if F35 will be starting a dogfight with with Suhkoi etc … that should be interesting.

I reckon the F-35 pilot would rather stay at home that day

chewkw
    Free Member

ninfan – Member

In the nuke war UK will suffer most because of the population concentration while other larger country like Russia have plenty of space to hide

Nonsense, in a nuclear war the cities of the north will be safe because they clubbed together to call themself ‘nuclear free zones’

If that doesn’t keep them safe, what will? [/quote]

😆 Or they can simply bow down to be ruled. i.e. surrender. The politicians will still stay in power but they just report to the Politburo.

dragon – Member
    Always amused me that nuclear free zone that is Manchester, while all the nuclear work goes on just outside in Warrington.

The radiation will have to obey the nuclear free zone boundaries … 😛

legend – Member

I reckon the F-35 pilot would rather stay at home that day [/quote]

Unless the dogfight is purely based on speed.

FuzzyWuzzy

Depends what you mean by dogfight to, if close in with guns then OK but in a modern jet engagement (often BVR) I’d rather be in the F-35, at least the Russians have decent ejector seats.

chewkw
    Free Member

FuzzyWuzzy – Member

Depends what you mean by dogfight to, if close in with guns then OK but in a modern jet engagement (often BVR) I’d rather be in the F-35, at least the Russians have decent ejector seats.

F-35 is like a rocket that’s good at speed but I am not sure about the rest of its capabilities. 😆 I just know that F16 designers and others said that it’s a sitting duck.

slowoldman

Well, the office is there.

piha
    Free Member

Reuters are reporting a build up of Iranian troops (and not military advisors) in Syria. Add in a sizeable Hezbollah force with numerous Irag/Afghan/Syrian Shi’ite militia, all being supported by Russian air power and the potential for a massive escalation in hostilities is inevitable.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

And hopefully a rapid end to a war which has been fanned, stoked, and had petrol poured on it, by Western self-interests.

Europeans only seemed have taken it as a more serious problem since desperate war refugees made the perilous journey and landed on their beaches. Out of sight out of mind seemed to be the previous prevailing attitude.

The role of the Western powers has been shameful. The UK only declared ISIS a terrorist organisation last June, when they started threatening Western interests in Iraq.

muckytee
    Free Member

Reutuers Headline: Iran troops to join Syria war, Russia bombs group trained by CIA

Americans training local “rebels” to fight, are perms in fashion again is it the 1980’s? Didn’t that sort of thing happened in Afganistan? That ended well didn’t it… with the taliban…

I may be wrong since I don’t pay too much attention to these things but just a thought.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Always stuns/amazes me the majority of the the plebs take these things on face value alone! It’s about democracy, preventing rape, saving children from dying, preventing genocide and creating regional stability. When as has been pointed out in this thread, those objectives have nothing to do with this power play and never have, they are just used to garner public support.

Still could make for interesting reading now Russia has thrown it’s hat into the ring, not so fun for those caught in the sh!tstorm.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

No we are not fortunately.

Syria is part of a new world order – new players driving current events and they exclude the US and the UK, although the Iran-US relationship is now interesting.

I welcome the fact that we are not at the centre of this, especially as we lack clarity of objective.

johnnystorm

chewkw – Member

FuzzyWuzzy – Member

F-35 is like a rocket that’s good at speed but I am not sure about the rest of its capabilities. I just know that F16 designers and others said that it’s a sitting duck.

Is the F35 even combat ready yet? I seem to recall it didn’t like rain, heat, dust, flying generally……

willard

Only the -B model. I think the normal one (i.e. the one we are not buying) is fine.

On a side note, now that Russia is getting frisky in Syria, the Ukraine fighting appears to have died down. Coincidence shirley…

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I have to confess to being a little at a loss as to what’s going on in Syria. In a nutshell, I understand that Assad is president, that IS control half the country and that Turkey are indirectly supporting IS by fighting the Kurds who are directly fighting IS.

Now my understanding is that Russia is hitting Assad – which leads to the assumption he’s also indirectly supporting IS – which could cause issues because the US have advisors on the ground training Assad’s troops.

My guess is that he seeks to influence the power vacuum that will happen once Assad is deposed, not to mention gain more influence in the middle east and a direct path to the Med.

Or is this a slightly naive overview, conveniently bypassing some of the more important subtleties of the situation?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Now my understanding is that Russia is hitting Assad – which leads to the assumption he’s also indirectly supporting IS – which could cause issues because the US have advisors on the ground training Assad’s troops.

No, Russia is bombing the Free Syrian Army on behalf of Assad.

The US back the FSA against Assad, and fight IS who also fight Assad and the FSA.

Turkey have declared war on IS and attacked the Kurds. So that bits right.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I think you’ll find that the proper way to describe the current situation is “Nause Up”.

Swift V.A.T, Dave, thanks.

piha
    Free Member

I believe that the forces opposed to Assad have not had any anti aircraft missiles supplied to them yet (mainly due to concerns of the missiles falling into the wrong hands) but with Russia bombing the anti-Assad forces (if we believe the press) I think that might change.

The impact of more sophisticated weapons flooding into Syria on the remaining population will be terrible. I would guess that those wealthy or healthy enough have left already so it will be those most vulnerable that will suffer the most.

I remember an article from years ago that suggested that any major conflict in Syria would draw in the entire region and this seems to be happening now, with Iran, Turkey, Saudi Arabia and all having interests in the Syrian conflict you have to fear the worse.

Sometimes you have to despair of mankind and our ability to **** things up….

binners

I believe that the forces opposed to Assad have not had any anti aircraft missiles supplied to them yet (mainly due to concerns of the missiles falling into the wrong hands)

Since arming the mujahideen ‘freedom fighters’ in Afghanistan against the Russians, the principle of my enemies enemy is my friend will never ever again extend to supplying surface to air missiles. As we all know what became of those brave ‘freedom fighters’.

Syria is now the main venue for all manner of proxy wars being fought by a variety of militias armed by competing regional powers. For a concise summing up of who’s who, think….

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb_qHP7VaZE[/video]

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

No, Russia is bombing the Free Syrian Army on behalf of Assad.

The US back the FSA against Assad, and fight IS who also fight Assad and the FSA.

Turkey have declared war on IS and attacked the Kurds. So that bits right.

Thanks.

What a f***ing clusterf***.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Since arming the mujahideen ‘freedom fighters’ in Afghanistan against the Russians, the principle of my enemies enemy is my friend will never ever again extend to supplying surface to air missiles. As we all know what became of those brave ‘freedom fighters’.

I believe a lot of those Stingers are still unaccounted for. It’s also not to be underestimated how much they altered the Russian Afghan conflict.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Thanks.

What a f***ing clusterf***.

You were given a very simplified version. Here’s a fuller version which might bring greater clarity to the situation :

“We support the Iraqi government in the fight against ISIS.

We don’t like ISIS, but ISIS has been supported by Saudi Arabia, whom we do like, and Saudi Arabia is now supporting us in bombing ISIS.

We don’t like President Assad in Syria. We support the fight against him, but not ISIS, which is also fighting against him.

We don’t like Iran, but Iran supports the Iraqi government against ISIS.

So some of our friends support our enemies and some of our enemies are our friends, and some of our enemies are fighting against our other enemies whom we want to lose, but we don’t want our enemies who are fighting our enemies to win.

If the people we want to defeat are defeated, they might be replaced by people we like even less.

And all this was started by us invading Iraq to drive out terrorists who weren’t there until we went to drive them out. “

http://stopwar.org.uk/index.php/news/obama-and-cameron-clear-up-any-confusion-about-why-they-are-bombing-iraq-and-syria

Although recent developments have made things slightly more complicated.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

SNAFU – seems a very appropriate phrase here.

It strikes me that a lot refugees are young males. I give them the benefit of doubt as needing to get out BUT also think why aren’t they staying to sort it out. I know that’s a blanket statement but if one of these smaller local groups got behind a democratic ethos then the chances are it would be backed by many foreign sides and then supported. They run to our democracies when surely they should be appealing to help in creating it. what am I missing?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

BUT also think why aren’t they staying to sort it out……… what am I missing?

Probably the fact that the Syrian government is losing more and more ground thanks to this Western inspired war and that there is a high risk of either getting killed or else worse, being captured and then being paraded in public with your mates before being beheaded.

Given the choices available traveling to Germany doesn’t seem such a bad option.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 148 total)

The topic ‘Are we at war with Russia now?’ is closed to new replies.