Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Are we allowed to talk about it now?
  • ooOOoo
    Free Member

Just one part of MTBing I cannot get excited about.
    A 3 speed hammershimdt though, that would be progress.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Are comments now blocked on the STW page?
    Anyway WTF is 'a more stable drivechain for any type of rider!" ?
    Did it make more sense in the original German powerpoint slides 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

LOL about how it's a new system, way of shifting etc and not hjust the addition of a 10th cog.

BS!

poppa
    Free Member

They seem to have discontinued the SLX rear mech in GS form! That seems a bit bloody stupid.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Damn I was hoping for a double specific front mech.

vinnyeh

This revolutionary technology not uses a 10-speed cassette, but that is not the only feature of this new system

Can't see much mention of any other new features, let alone see what's revolutionary.

as cynic-al, marketing bs.

njee20
    Free Member

Don't get what they're doing with the chainset, sticking with a triple, with the associated wider q-factor and bad chainlines, and yet narrowing the available ratios!

packer
    Free Member

The Alfine 11 is about a thousand times more exciting than this announcement.

nuke

I'll get it at some point as I should imagine it will become the new 'standard' but really couldn't care…I set my bikes up with the high and low gear ratios I need and having an extra gear in-between those ratios really makes no difference to me.

thomthumb
    Free Member

SHIMANO

when will you listen we DO NOT WANT closer ratios, more sprockets and a narrower chain

we WANT a MORE RELIABLE system theat allows year round round geared use through the mud. wide physical spacing, wide chain and less ratios would probably be ideal

foxyrider
    Free Member

Its all about performance

– Sounds like a you tube video I saw once 😉

njee20
    Free Member

I must admit at first glance they do seem to have missed the point rather!

I can't imagine they'd be that far wrong, I suspect a double chainset may still come along.

ahwiles
    Free Member

seriously, how do we change this? – i'm sure that some people love 9speed systems, and will love the new 10speed systems. but i would love an alternative '5-gears-nicy-and-chunky-so-they-work' system.

is this another uk-specific thing?

iron_maiden_man
    Free Member

Bring back 7 speed stx rc

poppa
    Free Member

This stuff does look different to the, *ahem* covertly distributed information that was doing the rounds before.

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

So to go shimano 10 speed i would need a new cassette and rear shifter?
    Lose 1 chainring upfront and go 26/38 or similar – jobs a good un?

njee20
    Free Member

And a new chain, but yes.

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

nowt to get excited about imo.

clubber
    Free Member

It does seem strange that there are no doubles and no double mechs – hopefully they'll be a second stage press release.

shermer75
    Free Member

So. XTR is their cutting edge, 'for race only' gruppo where all the best of the very best stuff happens. And that's staying 9-speed. What does that say exactly?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

It does seem strange that there are no doubles and no double mechs

They really are missing a trick if they do not release a double front mech capable of shifting over bigger rings than 36T.

IanMunro
    Free Member

It might say that shimano haven't announced all the new stuff yet, then again it might not 🙂

tinsy
    Free Member

Why would everyone assume that because sram went 10×2 that Shimano would?

miketually
    Free Member

But 10 is one more than 9. It's one better.

clubber
    Free Member

Because it's very clearly the main benefit of going from 9 to 10 speed.

ampthill

Why sell you a double this year when they can do that next year?

avdave2

we WANT a MORE RELIABLE system theat allows year round round geared use through the mud.

That would be the Alfine 11 speed wouldn't it?

tinsy
    Free Member

clubber, I dont see why the 10 made it logical to go 2×10 when you only have the same overall spread of gears, in fact still only the same spread as 8 speed too, just slightly closer ratios.

I would like to have it explained.

shermer75
    Free Member

Aaaah, I hadn't realised that xtr hadn't been released yet. Oops! Might reserve a little bickering grease for when that comes out then…

njee20
    Free Member

Average 8 speed cassette: 11-28

Average 9 speed cassette: 11-32

Average 10 speed cassette: 11-36

There were of course bigger 8 speed ones, and 11-34 9 speed ones have become more popular recently.

Going 2×8 would mean a pretty tall bottom gear, or small rings and a low top gear. The wider spread of a 10 speed 11-36 cassette means you can have a wider range of gears on a double crank without crazy intermediate jumps.

13thfloormonk

Actually, I 'get' the chainset.

I don't race, but like doing long days over rough terrain, often with my camping gear.

That means i appreciate lots of gears, especially low ones, and don't need the high ratio of 44×11. Using a 42 big ring also means that I'll use the big ring slightly more often, and also use it in slightly smaller sprockets, instead of just sitting in big ring/fifth sprocket like I usually do.

In theory this should actually result in slightly longer drivetrain life than I'm used to, probably not what Shimano intended! 😀

tinsy
    Free Member

er fairly sure shimano already make an 11-36 9 speed cassette, I have only ever ran 11-34 (though I am going to try an 11-28 when I get chance.) I acually have felt for ages the jump in gears between 1–34 cassettes is too much for the bits n bobs of racing I do, for general riding though its fine. so closer ratios would have suited me more a 10 speed 11-34 would probably be about my ideal, wether I would drop a front ring I dont know not dabbled with that, though I did rather enjoy 1×9.

However if the 11-36 is now the new standard cassette I do see why would assume the swap to 2×10

njee20
    Free Member

They do a 12-36, consequently with bigger gaps between the rings and the loss of a top gear.

Probably doesn't matter to most, but if it does, 10 speed will solve it.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Are we allowed to talk about it now?’ is closed to new replies.