Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Are we allowed to cut and remove fallen trees from forest areas.
  • lanvale
    Free Member

Question in the title.
    My local trail is Dalbeattie 7 stanes am I allowed to walk with my bow saw and remove fallen trees from the cycle trail, or is this frowned on by forest staff?

meehaja
    Free Member

you can’t remove them from the forest. If its blocking a pth no one will mind if you un block it (I’d have thought) so long as you know what you’re doing and don’t damage the tree etc

br
    Free Member

I wouldn’t worry about doing it, unless you’re taking the wood 🙂

asterix
    Free Member

if you have a valid wood scavenging licence or other permit for the particular area – see:

forestry link

shortcut

Just do it. You won’t get more than a polite word or warning for H&S reasons.

havinalaff
    Free Member

Or just ring the forestry. I would imagine it would depend on exact location of the trail. Forestry might be trying to keep certain trails shut.

lanvale
    Free Member

Most of the trees are small ones which have split and fallen, the odd green stick fracture. I guess the worst that can happen is told to clear off.
    Going to do my bit for the cycling community. Back pack, hot brew in flask and only 26k of red trail to walk.

allthepies
    Free Member

Good man 🙂 If challenged then let them know you’re removing a hazard from the trail.

johnellison
    Free Member

Surely it’s up to the FC to maintain the trails, not you? Just ring them and ask to get them removed.

Trekster

lanvale – Member
    Question in the title.
    My local trail is Dalbeattie 7 stanes am I allowed to walk with my bow saw and remove fallen trees from the cycle trail, or is this frowned on by forest staff?

Ian
    Dalbeattie is one of my local trails. I think you will find lots of riders carry folding saws for that very reason
    Also helps keep those 😉 trails clear.
    If you come across anything needing a chain saw then report it to FC at Ae forest office.. One of the rangers actually lives in town and is a biker.
    Quite a few Dalbeattie guys on the Facebook page if you want to join 💡

johnellison – Member
    Surely it’s up to the FC to maintain the trails, not you? Just ring them and ask to get them removed.

This is true but when it is just small stuff we tend to just clear it ourselves.
    The trails are “inspected” by a contractor and the FC person responsible for trail maint prioritises where and what gets repaired. These guys cover Ae, Mabie and Dalbeattie. There is NO dedicated team for this area. The contractor is currently building new trails at Ae, or at least trying to given the current white out ❗
    Trail maintenance will become a big issue I guess given all the cut backs in government budgets 💡
    Given the current weather conditions I doubt the trail conditions will be the biggest priority FC have atm…

trail_rat
    Free Member

so long as its not living greenwood and your not using a chainsaw i doubt youll get hassle.

getting a scavenging permit doesnt seem to be as easy as you think – ive been pursuing one for ages – FC just pass you from piller to post – mean time i just scavenge whats lying on the forest floor with my bike and trailer.

richmtb

If you come across anything needing a chain saw then report it to FC

This

Nothing wrong with clearing trails / paths of small fallen trees and branches. Wish more people did it

Trekster

Off out with mine….rarely leave without it.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Got a folding saw in the Camelback and never been challenged over it and think I am helping to clear the trail for riders and other users, so not an issue in my eyes.

If you come across anything needing a chain saw then report it to FC

Or go out at midnight when there’s no one else about. 😉

lanvale
    Free Member

When I say remove the trees, I meant remove them from the path to clear it, not to collect. Sorry I should have been clearer on my original post.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Depends on the area and how cheeky the trail is.

FC land or similar I’ve got a pocket saw and hand chainsaw in my camelpack for such eventualities.

More cheeky such as MOD land, NT park land as oposed to say a BW in a national park, or where there’s a precedent for tension/conflict with the landowner, it’d be more of a judgement call and makeing sure that the evidence was dispersed away from the trail.

jimcollins67
    Free Member

Ianvale, a bit OT here, as Dalbeattie is your local trails, any idea what the trail conditions are with all the snow ?
    Due to visit this weekend to ride there and Kirroughtree, accommodation is all booked and really want to make the trip but as its a 3-4 hr drive want to make it worthwhile…

Cheers Jim

jimification
    Free Member

When I say remove the trees, I meant remove them from the path to clear it, not to collect. Sorry I should have been clearer on my original post.

Mate: this is Singletrackworld. I don’t think people will understand if you say you are picking up the wood and not putting it down on your woodpile. (you do have a woodpile, right?)

mattsccm
    Free Member

Technically you can’t . FC firewood permits usually forbid the use of tools.
    Practically, who is even going to know?

Northwind

I don’t think you’re likely to get charged with breaking and gardening. Mature trees are hard work though, even with the right tools.

Oh- and be careful, a hanging tree is like a combination of a massive spring and a freefalling piano

imnotverygood

^ you mean it will bounce with a loud discordant musical noise?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Fc scotland permits allows use of hand tools

Northwind

Now that’s not entirely reinforcing my sensible warning, is it. SPROI-BOING!

Del

good on you OP. you may as well pop in the office and say hello if it’s convenient to ( i don’t know the place ). they’ll very likely say thanks very much, and just ask that you let them know if there are any trees hanging over trails, or anything that needs a chainsaw, so they can get them cleared safely.

Surely it’s up to the FC to maintain the trails, not you?

🙄

Trekster

http://www.7stanesmountainbiking.com/Contact-Us

Dumfries and Borders Forest District
    Ae Village
    Parkgate
    Dumfries, DG1 1QB
    T 01387 860247
    E dumfries&borders@forestry.gsi.gov.uk

Subject box = “Trail report for Dalbeattie Forest” is what I usually do 💡

jimcollins67
    Free Member

Thanks Trekster…..

Trekster

Ianvale, a bit OT here, as Dalbeattie is your local trails, any idea what the trail conditions are with all the snow ?
    Due to visit this weekend to ride there and Kirroughtree, accommodation is all booked and really want to make the trip but as its a 3-4 hr drive want to make it worthwhile…

Cheers Jim

Give Sam a call for Kirry update http://www.thebreakpad.com/. That end of the County got the worst of the snow.
    http://jimzglebeblog.blogspot.co.uk/

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Are we allowed to cut and remove fallen trees from forest areas.’ is closed to new replies.