Viewing 7 posts - 121 through 127 (of 127 total)
  • Are we all DOOOOOOOMED then?
  • MrSmith
    Free Member

[/quote]You can bet your bottom dollar that if the demand was there (demand = people with the money actually in a position to buy) then the housebuilders would be building like there was no tomorrow. As it is though they sit on those vast plots of land they have bought and do very little. No point building houses that will not sell is there?

the problem for the housebuilders is they paid too much for their landbanks (funded by the silly prices they were getting for their houses as newbuilds were always overvalued) so that if they build now the margins are no longer so cozy. even the dubious shared ownership/rent-buy schemes aren’t going to dig them out of that hole.
    they are now partly in negative equity of their own making

article in the independent
    [/i]We’re in for a decade of stagnation.”

This stagnation is why the huge numbers of homes promised won’t actually be built. As a result of restrictions placed on development in the past 20 years, the market has been dominated by half a dozen developers who make their money from high profit margins on the sale of a limited number of homes; builders such as Barratt, Persimmon, Bovis, Redrow, Taylor Wimpey and Berkeley Homes.

When prices were rising, the model worked by developers buying land and waiting for prices to go up. Now the music has stopped, house prices are flat, and developers are left with planning permission sufficient for nearly 300,000 units – but on land bought at the top of the market. Until prices rise, they can’t realise their assets. The business model developers have relied on for decades is broken.

There is another problem. In a market where land was scarce, developers became fixated by rising land costs financed by squeezing every last drop of profit from each unit. As Harry Rich, the head of Riba, the architecture industry body, said last week: “Thousands of shameful shoe-box homes are being churned out all over the country.”

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

House prices can DEFINATELY fall in the UK

Mine just has – the local council has just earmarked the field directly surrounding our house for potential development between now and 2024 so should I ever try to sell it people will no longer pay the premium for the view or for the extension I just spent £25k on to take advantage of it as in the next few years they could be looking across crammed in semis and flats to ensure the council meets the ‘affordable housing’ targets required of them.

I will potentially lose this view…

Should’ve rented…

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Start a blizzard of objections, nay, start a NIMBY group!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

start a NIMBY group

There already is one. Unfortunately I doubt anything will happen as they council needs to build. We always knew living next to open fields could one day mean we have houses on our doorstep and I can live with that, but it basically now means our house has lost 20% or so of value and we won’t get that back. 🙁

ohnohesback
    Free Member

The FTSE is currently down 197 points, it could be another crashlet…

kaiser
    Free Member

that’s a fine view ..hope you don’t lose it

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

that’s a fine view ..hope you don’t lose it

Cheers. The council have two options – the first is a blanket of 1800 homes right across that view (it’s Stainburn Forest on the horizon) as well as at the front of our house and going right up to our border, the other is for smaller developments dotted around Harrogate which means a smaller part of the view and slightly further away from the immediate field but more development on other areas of greenfield.

But the annoying thing for me is that we will now struggle to sell (which we were considering for next year) for anything like the value we could have got for it a month ago.

Arse biscuits.

Viewing 7 posts - 121 through 127 (of 127 total)

The topic ‘Are we all DOOOOOOOMED then?’ is closed to new replies.