Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Are warranty replacement frames usually 'different' ?
  • plop_pants
    Free Member

My new Scott CR1 pro frame had to go back as the rear triangle was out. They've kindly agreed to replace it but the replacement is slightly different. I'm told it's so that the importer can tell a repeat warranty claim. Now the only difference is that rather than the original 86mm BB with push fit bearings I'm going to get one with a threaded BB shell. Don't know why they would need to do this as surely they can keep all the frames the same and just record frame numbers and keep a check that way. (Bit narked I've got to pay for a new BB, but just glad to get a replacement really)

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Tell them that you want one identical to the one they replaced.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

sounds like a load of pish and I wouldn't accept that. More likely they have changed the frame design and they are feeding you a line of bullshine

njee20
    Free Member

Warranty frames are often different as they can't be expected to keep every single colour in, they'll usually just keep the top one, so if you break a Scale 30, 20 or 10, you'll get a 10 frame.

However… that sounds a little dubious, it sounds more like it's an older frame, which isn't really on.

coastkid
    Free Member

few years back my mate got a cannondale jekyll frame when he had a 5 year old raven frame crack (as many did!)as they were then redundent so scored a better frame…maybe the replacement is an upgrade from an ongoing fault?,or maybe it depends on availability?

cullen-bay
    Free Member

edit: reading fail.

gee
    Free Member

That's a load of crap. The real reason is probably that they don't have the one you're returning in stock.

GB

Ewan
    Free Member

Marin gave me an identical frame – kick up a fuss.

plop_pants
    Free Member

The replacement I'm told is exactly the same colour and model as the original so it's a 2010 not an old frame as such (it is a new design, only out this year), but still a bit concerned that the replacement might be one of a pile of R&D efforts.

njee20
    Free Member

It is possible that after market frames are threaded, whilst OEM ones are press-fit, this was certainly the case with older Spesh frames. Quite why they're feeding you crap about 'repeat claims' I have no idea though.

Reluctant
    Free Member

Bonus! Be nice to 'em and see if they'll help you with the cost of a new BB. Threaded shell will give you way more choice in future and from what I'm seeing, press fit BBs are a bit fragile. I think you're doing alright with the offered parts.

chakaping
    Free Member

I'd be happy if I were you. My Zesty's press fit BB is playing up after only four rides.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You should be in a position of no loss. If they supply you with a frame that all your parts will not fit then those parts should be supplied as well.

Teh build should be done at the shops expense as well – remember your contract is with the shop not the importer.

cynic-al
    Free Member

If it's new they should be providing a replacement-it's not a warranty claim.

njee20
    Free Member

That's a good point actually Al. Is it actually new, as in, shop gets out of box, looks at back end and goes "oh er, that's bent". Or is this new in that you've only been riding it a month?

Being carbon, the shop should really have noticed out of the box and sent it back straight away for straight replacement with another bike. If you've ridden it then it goes get more complicated. I'd definitely suggest they supply you a BB though, you shouldn't have to pay anything because they can't make a straight frame.

plop_pants
    Free Member

I had been riding it for a month before someone riding behind me told me.
    Spoke again to the shop today and they insist that only the frames sold as part of a complete bike have the press fit BB. All frames bought individually or supplied as a warranty replacement have the threaded BB and that Scott won't send a replacement as per the original as that would mean stripping a bike down leaving them with bits to get rid off. But they do say that the replacement will not in any way be an inferior product and defo a 2010 model. I think I'm risking making a mountain out of a mole hill here so I'll take their word for it.

fbk
    Free Member

Not that it really helps your situation but I'd agree with other comments on here re the supply of new parts with the frame if needed.

I found a crack in the frame on my '03 Mount Vision frame earlier this year. ATB Sales (Via my LBS) not only replaced it immediately with a new 2010 frame (they had to strip a full bike down as they didn't have any frame only options available), they supplied it with a new headset, seat post & clamp, and Rear Shock to ensure I didn't have to buy anything myself in order to build it up again. I was very happy 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Yes that is almost certainly the case, as I say, Spesh ones were like that before, OEM frames were OSBB, whilst warranty and aftermarket frames were threaded.

They should however provide a BB for you.

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

If you are getting a "newer" frame then fine but why the bullshit. Are we really expected to believe that, rather than take one off the line, they go to the effort of building a different frame for warranty replacements?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Accept it id it is not inferior happily – but they should return a fully working bike to you – that means supplying a new BB and doing the build if you want them to

plop_pants
    Free Member

Funnily enough there is a 2010 cr1 frame on ebay that is apparently a warranty replacement and its got the press fit BB. So someone is telling porkies. But life if too short. The bike shop are only too pleased to rebuild the bike for me.

OLD.SKOOL.FOOL
    Free Member

You guys need to read the Directgov website. You'll see that a warrantable product is for that actual product and not for labour of extras etc(in certain cases). If parts are not compatible due to the replacement being a newer version then technically it falls down to tough . . . as the faulty item has been replaced, very grey I know. Most bike shops however will usually take the hit as I do on getting you guys back out on trails. We can claim the labour back from the suppliers at the end of each year. Plus who wants bad press for being difficult and being flexable? We aren't all bad but some of you having the attitude of "I'd go in all guns blazing" will instantly get our backs up and we may end up going by the book. Chill peoples, nice guys get warranties and extras, everyone gets a warranty though! Ask anyone who works in retail.

As for the Scott frame there one of the best in the business to deal with for issues. Sounds as if you have just been supplied with an after market CR1 frame which often have different specs. Scott ALWAYS replace like for like or upgrade. My bit said 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

oldskoolfool – and everyone is entitled to the protection of the sale of goods act. He paid for a bike in working order -" of merchantable quality" He did not receive that. The shop must fulfil its side ofthe contract or return his money.

He did not buy a frame – he bought a bike. A bike he must have back or his money back. Simple as. No grey area.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Are warranty replacement frames usually 'different' ?’ is closed to new replies.