Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Are V's on a crosser do-able/heresy?
  • hotgospeller
    Free Member

Would slapping my XTR v brakes on my crosser to replace the wussy canti's make the breaking unbearably powerful due to lever ratios? Would I get banned from a cross race?!

Hmmnnn.

wwaswas

I've got v's on my Specialized Single Cross. you do need a 'travel agent' type thing to use them with normal road levers though.

clubber
    Free Member

They'll work but as you say, without travel adaptors, they'll be too squidgey to work well and will be rubbing most of the time.

A friend uses v-brakes/travel adaptors but he's a yank from California and when he moved here, he found that the bearing in the adaptor tended to move less freely (mud!) so that they didn't work very well.

It also reduces clearance above the tyre which may or may not be an issue depending on what/where you ride.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    paul_m

You can also fit Mini-v's such as these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=34580 – they can be used with Road levers and are a lot more powerful than canti's.

I fitted some on my cross bike and they transformed the braking, but when it got muddy they completely clogged the wheels, so I went back to Canti's, and am learning to "carry my speed" through corners 🙂

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Ison do some travel adjusters to run V's, that's what I'm putting on mine. About £8 each I think.

Gingerbloke
    Free Member

All ok on mine!!!

Waderider
    Free Member

I have V's on mine and ceramic rims. Dia Compe do drop bar brake levers that pull an appropriate amount of cable.

westkipper
    Free Member

I use one of the aforementioned Tektro Mini-Vs on the front, where its never caused too much in the way of mud-related issues (and works well)
    Wouldn't use one on the back though…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Are V's on a crosser do-able/heresy?’ is closed to new replies.