Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Are Vodafone broadband telling me porkies?
  • grubbish
    Free Member

Just been told by Vodafone broadband that you lose 20% of the speed as soon as It enters the house, now considering my routers plugged into the test socket of the master socket. That means I lose 20% of speed in less than an inch. Surely this is a load of cod wallop?

Now apparently as I turned off my router in the first ten days while they send noise down the line I have to give it 10 days clear with the router never being off. Just seems like constant delay tactics to me.

spooky_b329

Its rubbish.

However, turning your router off during the first few days could disrupt the learning process where the exchange varies the speed to work out the maximum reliable speed. This can be reset if the user has been unplugging the router (resulting in the exchange thinking the line cannot support anything above ‘dead slow’)

daniel_owen_uk
    Free Member

http://aaisp.net.uk/kb-broadband-how-atm.html

Overheads will impact speed but “losing 20%” is rubbish.

As spooky says, most internet will start by bashing through full speed, then it falls over, then it trains to deal with what speed the router will accept without silly number errors. Turning the router off can mess that up.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Cougar

What they said.

Home networking (phone extensions and the like) can introduce all manner of nasties into the signal. Shouldn’t apply in any meaningful manner if you’re in the Test Socket unless you work in a power station, clue’s in the name.

Regular DSL goes through a learning process called “training” in the first couple of weeks to work out what speed it can reliably connect at. Turning off the router during this process can be interpreted at the ISP end as “oh, the line dropped, I’d better slow down.” Once training has competed this sets the speed at which it will try to connect.

That said, if this has happened they can simply restart the training process again, saying your line’s slow because you turned your router off is mince.

Where did you get a one inch ADSL cable from?

wl
    Free Member

Almost certainly. Far and away the worst company I’ve ever had the misfortune to deal with. Incompetent and dishonest on a grand scale. They were abysmal with my other half too, so much so that she even managed to get compensation via the ombudsman.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

You might have Gucci fibre in the street but the last twenty feet into your house will be a copper twisted pair. Maybe thats what they mean?

grubbish
    Free Member

Nope said he was testing it from where he was and that the speed at the back of my socket was what I was promised, and on the other side which is my responsibility I seem to have lost 50% of the signal. Even though I’m plugged in the master socket test socket.

Don’t have a 1inch adsl cable, it’s less than one inch from the back of the socket to the test socket this is where internet speed disappears into thin air apparently. I knew the guy was full of it and I think he realised I wasn’t swallowing his crap. Will wait 10 days with router on and see but I bet it’s the same.

dirtybike
    Free Member

I had issues with my Broadband speed and after much research found out the the cable that connected the router to the master socket was a 50p piece of crap. So after a quick trip to maplins for a better cable I found the improvement almost unbelievable. I bought a shielded braided cable that was not cheap but was worth every penny. Its also a bit longer than the supplied one so I could also move my router to a better position.

Better Router Cable

spooky_b329

No doubt a faulty cheapo cable to the router could cause problems, however I’ve also got no doubt you don’t need to spend £18 on one! Thats up there with the audiophiles deoxygenated directional tuned speaker wire…

Its a bit pointless getting a shielded cable as the several km’s of phone line outside and in the exchange is not shielded.

bigyinn
    Free Member

dirtybike, would you like to buy some directional ethernet cables for your router?

Coyote
    Free Member

Vodafone customer service is shite. Been having no end of problems with then over my mobile account. Roll on December when I can move to someone else.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Voodoophone. Sticking pins in users since the year dot.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Are Vodafone broadband telling me porkies?’ is closed to new replies.