Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Are used Neck Braces ok?
  • astura
    Free Member

I tend not to buy used helmets due to the fact they may have had a bit of misuse but does th same apply to neck braces?

I am starting to get very brave, and i have started to hit some big stuff and whilst my confidence is growing i will keep pushing myself – the only thing i notice is when i fall off it hurts for a long time after (gota be getting older) i dont fall that often and touch wood i havent had anything bad at all just a few bumps and scrapes, last week was the 1st time i snapped a component (carbon bars with my ribs), but still came out with just bruising.
    I am considering getting a neck brace but is this the kind of thing you would buy direct from a shop so you can try it on? i currently ride with the new MET parachute so wondering if i have to go for a specific type so it fits with the helmet.
    Im not asking the question do i need one as i have come to the conclusion the more protection the better, but with the new prices so expensive is it worth getting used one? any recommendations?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://www.pinkbike.com/u/si-paton/blog/Leatt.html
    Some useful thoughts including about wearing them without a lid on.

passtherizla
    Free Member

I use a leatt 5.5 hardly notice I’m wearing it. Can’t say how effective it is though. Crashed it in once and damaged my collar bone.

I would hazard a guess that as long as it’s all there and not cracked a used one would be fine.

astura
    Free Member

Funnily enough i read that article last night, which helped me come to my decision, i have a big year of riding next year off to Chatel. I will take a look on ebayor the forums for some 2nd hand stuff then keeping the price down

astura
    Free Member

I have the scott compression suit pro 2, it says its compatible withe the scott neck brace, does anyone know if its only scott models that it supports?

passtherizla
    Free Member

If you are in or around brum, you are more than welcome to try mine.

iolo
    Free Member

I’m sure they’re a good thing but I’ve seen a few snap.
    The review above is good but extremely one sided. All pros and no cons.
    Probably due to the fact that the author was one of the first retailers of said neck braces.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I posted the link not as a review but for the warnings around wearing them without your lid on.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’m fairly sure at the time that piece was written the author was the importer/distributor for leatt in the UK.

They certainly don’t seem as popular at the races as they did a few years ago.

Most people I rode with tried them at some point & I don’t think any use them any more.

tpbiker
    Free Member

i have an Evs one i’ve used for 4 days in the Alps for sale. £50 quid if you want it. Promise its never been crashed!

LoCo
    Free Member

Would never use second hand safety stuff, and yes good quality neck braces are good.

astura
    Free Member

Thanks for the offer tp but I’ll probably go for Scott or leatt

trail_rat
    Free Member

“I’m fairly sure at the time that piece was written the author was the importer/distributor for leatt in the UK.”

except that he wasnt he was a reseller at the time though

South African Karl Prestwood is the U.K disty. http://www.kpr-motocross.com/

i read that back then and thought it was a very well composed factual piece from si on the back of taras road to recovery – which was unusual from him – very much a brummie market stall mentality usually 😀

ok its very leatt centric but at the time thats what was out there.

jam-bo

I can’t see how they would work well with a helmet such as a parachute as they work by using the helmet bulk to restrict movement. there isnt that large bulk around the cheeks and the back of the head on a parachute so wearing one could almost be more damaging, akin to wearing one without a helmet.

GavinB

I may have a Leatt one for sale, if you’re interested. It’s been used for about 2 race weekends, never crashed whilst wearing it (that I remember anyway). I’ve given up on DH stuff now, so it’ll not get used again.

It’s the basic model, so not looking for much for it. Drop me a line if you want more details.

Speeder

They’re a fashion item more than safety kit as there’s no way of proving if they work or not. As far as I’m aware there’s been no independent testing so the only results are effectively propaganda.

I’d just buy a decent helmet* & pads.

* not a Parachute

iolo
    Free Member

Here’s one example of a broken one. Done in a not so big crash

astura
    Free Member

To be fair i do have a Carbon Scott Spectre, but i really rate the (NEW) Parachute (never had the old) it does a great job, no complaints.

The fashion doesnt bother me, my personal opinion is its all down to technique – my mate rides a lot bigger stuff than me and only has the minimum, elbows, knees and a full face – he is a lot better rider than me extremely cat like.
    Im more of a confidence rider so i sometimes i dont fully commit when i should and as my mate says i like to just make a jump first rather than clear if comfortably, so the more protection for me wont make me a better rider will just prevent me from injury.
    The only other reason for me getting more protection is family, im really starting to get a lot of confidence and have found speed helps! so it shows them that im doing everything i can to be as safe as possible but still flying through the sky.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Are used Neck Braces ok?’ is closed to new replies.