Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Are two 85 lumens lights (bar and helmet) enough?
  • jhw
    Free Member

Ta

trout
    Free Member

Maybe but the flame will keep blowing out 😯

curlie467
    Free Member

No chance!!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mudsux
    Free Member

Enough for what exactly?

For cracking one off in the woods at night – ample.

AlexSimon

Barely – definitely not if you are with other people with more powerful lights.
    I think my original BLTs were similar power so it is possible though. Better in the woods, where the objects are closer.

stumpy01

Off road presumably?

I’d say that it would be at the ‘minimum’ end of what you need, but would probably allow you to ride at night, albeit not at a blistering pace.

Would you be alone or with riders using some more powerful lights? If so, then you’d probably be a bit underpowered as the other lights would swamp those.

jhw
    Free Member

Probably I’d be solo, albeit on trails I know well enough to ride blind. In winter I really only ride one mud-free singletrack loop, sad really!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

10W Halogen ~ 200lumen

So 85 lumen must be about the same as commuter lights (2.4W IIRC was the old minimum before LED’s were allowed?).

You can get 250-300 lumen torches for ~£6 off ebay/dealextream which last >2hours with good rechargables from vapextech.com, why bother with anything less?

stumpy01

what have you seen in terms of 2×85 lumen lights and how much etc…?

Just thinking that for not a massive amount of cash, the DX bike light is seriously good.
    I bought the Spokeshirt version and am very impressed by it – 3hrs on high and easily enough on it’s own.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Not really enough IMO

GEt a couple of cheap led torches that kick out 200lumen each for a minimum setup

Have a look in here
    http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.901~page.1~pagesize.52~pagesort.relevence

uplink
    Free Member

Depends what you personally want from night riding, if you want the challenge of riding at night – they’ll be fine

If you want to replicate daylight as much as poss – they’ll be crap

5thElefant
    Free Member

Back in the dark ages 😉 of 24hr racing a 10W halogen was adequate, and as thisisnotaspoon has pointed out you’re close to that, so yes, you’ll be able to see trees well enough not to ride into them.

Give it a go.

jhw
    Free Member

It sounds like they’re fairly poo

OK, I’ll look elsewhere! Dealextreme ones look good but thing is by the time they come it’ll be Spring, then they break on first ride next Winter, and it takes until next Spring for the warranty replacement to come through!

epicyclo

I did the first ‘Puffer 24hour with two 1 watt LED torches ziptied to my helmet.

So you will be able to see ok, but if anyone you’re riding with has better lights you’ll feel like you’re riding in shadow.

singletrackmind

In terms of light ( lumens ) V £££ you will be pushed to beat 2 x DX P7 emitter torches . Your 85lm are fine for walking the dog, add some speed into the equation plus a few wet roots and you will want more , much much more.

jhw
    Free Member

Thanks for all this, it’s helpful. The answer seems to be “no” and “get DX lights!”.

Going to throw in a deux et machina here and say that on a lumens per £ measure the DX lights look unbeatable but the crappy little Blackburn X3s (the lights I’m talking about here) have one key advantage – lifetime warranty replacement, honoured through Madison, a company based right here in the UK. No Hong Kong/Royal Mail faff.

singletrackmind

True , but I wouldnt expect a product you will use once to fail and need warranty replacement . One night ride in mist or rain in the woods with the axeman chasing you and ghosts flitting around just out of sight in the dim glow of your 85 lm coach lamps will more than likely have you on the DX site as you get home .
    Then they will be on Ebay . DX have a good rep for returns , although they can take a few weeks.
    LBS down south will do loaners if you wish to try before you buy , USE products mostly

jhw
    Free Member

Yep P7 is the endgame here

grtdkad

I have used a range lights across the years (like many on here). I managed perfectly well with Cateye ABS and Blackburn X6 and X8s… you will be fine.

However for me the lumen arms race (& personal love of kit and riding as fast as I can at night) kicked in some time ago and have recently changed from HID to Trouties Lib 3 – pumping out loads of glorious lumens!

coffeeking
    Free Member

If you’re solo it’s fine, your eyes get used to the light level very quickly. If you want 180 degree, wall to wall daylight, or ride with people who do, then no. I’ve managed perfectly well with no lights at all on many a clear night, I just don’t get the lumens arms race the way others seem to.

That said, lots of people have REALLY poor night vision and can’t see their hand in front of their face without a car headlamp, so if you’re one of them then maybe it’s not enough.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Are two 85 lumens lights (bar and helmet) enough?’ is closed to new replies.