Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Are they supposed to do that? Energy drink content
  • DezB
    Free Member

Just had a can of this before riding home

It’s only a 12 mile ride and normally have the day to ready myself for the ride home, but had to ride home early. Thought I’d down that to give me a boost, being pretty tired from lack of sleep… so, about 6-7 miles in I completely ran out of energy! I mean,almost to the point of a good old fashioned BONK. Blood-sugar deficiency shakes an all that, all I could think about was food. Luckily a nice big ‘nana in my pack so stopped on a verge and scoffed it. Energy returned pretty quickly.

Can I blame the caffeine/taurine? Hadn’t had much food, just a salad half hour before leaving, but 6 miles…

(well that turned out to be a long post about not much, hope I haven’t out anyone to sleep 😉 )

bwoolymbr
    Free Member

wwaswas

“Stimulation Drink”

does it tickle your sack or something?

jimc101
    Free Member

Yep, makes you feel great for a while, then a massive crash, which needs real food to recover from. On road rides, normally get 40-50km after this type of drink, then it hits, and real food, or another is needed.

DezB
    Free Member

Sorry bwoolymbr.

I guess that’s the answer – it’s a stimulation drink rather than an energy drink. I did have to whack one out on the verge, so that part worked I suppose.

pedalhead
    Free Member

insulin crash. next time, drink another can half way through the ride and enjoy the crash at home instead. Or…don’t pump that crap into your body in the first place 😉

duntstick
    Free Member

Don’t know but I have a friend who goes all over Monaco flogging

She tells me that you can’t get too much of it

flow
    Free Member

You basically have a massive sugar spike, then crash which makes you feel like crap. Better off eating slow release energy like brown rice, brown bread, etc.

BigJohn

If your energy returned after a babana it wasn’t bonk you had.

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah, “almost bonk” – couldn’t think of anything the one time I bonked, not even food!
    Cheers for replies, interesting.

aP
    Free Member

The thing is that’s not an energy drink, it’s a sugar based stimulant drink. Would be cheaper to have a cup of strong coffee with 3 sugars in it instead.

DezB
    Free Member

I said that already. Don’t like coffee. Makes your breath smell like dogpoo.

Travis

regular commute?
    12 miles?
    Bonk after 6?

Are you eating enough in the day?

Or is 12 miles too much for you?

I use that stuff to keep me awake on late shift as I don’t drink coffee.
    I’ve never used it as an energy drink. Can’t see how it would be better or worse than anything else with the same amount of sugar for that purpose.

Lifer
    Free Member

A touch of the 50s Bonk

From a rather charming video that makes me want to go cycle touring. In a shirt and tie.

Northwind

Classic insulin crash- your body gets the huge sugar hit and keys up to deal with it, but then when the sugar’s gone you still have a gallon (*) of insulin washing around, so you burn all your fuel fast and then flake. It’s the only time us diabetics have a performance advantage :mrgreen:

(*no not really)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Are they supposed to do that? Energy drink content’ is closed to new replies.