Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • are they really any good? – P7 torch thingy
  • commierider
    Free Member

Right, I am finally going to get some night riding under my belt as I am sick of never finding any daylight hours for riding.

On a budget so have ordered a couple of the P7 torches as per:
    http://www.mtbbritain.co.uk/mountain_bike_lights_review_led.html
    Just wondering if they are really any good or have I just wasted my money?

Anyone using these, was thinking of one on the bars and one on my helmet?

GW
    Free Member

they’re excellent, but 2 is overkill.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I have one mounted on my helmet. IME it’s been great and is as good as my Hope HID.

commierider
    Free Member

Is two really overkill?

Will prob just keep one for walking the dog then if it really is too much.

Any pics of one in action anywhere?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yes they are great torches, I use one helmet mounted. They’re probably not very good at walking the dog though.

tandemwarriors

I run one on the bars and one helmet mounted, but only on really fast stuff do I use both on full, so 2 almost overkill. I bought them following the rave reviews among the STW bretherin and am very impressed. They outshine my mates Lumicycles, nuff said! Your dosh has been very well spent.

Rob

loris
    Free Member

I’ve got one, and so have 2 of my riding group, soon to be more. For the money they are amazing value.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I run 3 P7s. I like overkill.

z1ppy

they are unbelievably good, shockingly so…

DezB
    Free Member

Battery life could be an issue, so mount one and carry the other as a spare.

commierider
    Free Member

awesome, do they get pretty hot?

not too worried about battery life, ordered a few spares so intend to take spares out (charged obviously)

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

One helmet mounted p7 would be more than enough for most kinds of night riding. The only scenario where you might want more light would be on steep descents, be they fast or technical, I naturally have a tendancy to point the light/my head down instead of ahead. It would be nice to have something bar mounted, aimed maybe twelve foot straight ahead to illuminate the oncoming trail on the steeps.

Probably not even a major concern unless you ride dh trails at night.

mboy
    Free Member

1 P7 will be plenty enough for most riding, though always useful to have an extra light for the fast or tricky descents!

Personally, I’d mount both on the bars, and get a smaller Cree R2 torch for head mount use. The Cree R2 LED has more of a focussed beam, and really penetrates whilst the P7’s are great floods. The R2 will also last 3 times as long on the same battery.

With 2 P7’s on the bars, you can then use full power on one most of the time, then when the battery dies out, you can just switch the other one on instead. Both at the same time would really only be desired for any full on nighttime DH action really.

Will let you know my experience though, as since my last nightride with 1 P7 light and an R2 on my head, I have received another P7 torch from dealextreme! 😉

pk-ripper
    Free Member

I rode the other night with 3 on the bars. It was plenty bright enough for me!

DezB
    Free Member

That’s about 450g on the bars.. could you still steer?

takisawa2

FFS…3 on your bars. Total overkill, the glare would cancel any gains out.
    I use 1 on my helmet & 1 on my bars. Huge amount of light (I reckon about 1300 lumens). They’re spot on but expect a few rich sods to come on here & mock.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

takisawa2 They’re spot on but expect a few rich sods to come on here & mock.

What is there to mock? The fact you have a perfectly usable bike light for a fraction of the cost of “proper bike lights” ?

I’ve already been on the recieving end of subtle jibes of this nature on the trails…..mainly from retards.

jfeb
    Free Member

I find a P7 on the bars and a Fenix TK-11 on my helmet (more of a spot than the P7) to be a perfect set up

Lanesra
    Free Member

I live in the centre of London and if anything they’re to good (for that purpose) – as I’m forever blinding pedestrians/drivers other cyclists

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Best lights I’ve ever bought. Strobe function is fantastic in town. It illuminated street signs 150m away.

GW
    Free Member

GNARGNAR –

The only scenario where you might want more light would be on steep descents, be they fast or technical, I naturally have a tendancy to point the light/my head down instead of ahead. It would be nice to have something bar mounted, aimed maybe twelve foot straight ahead to illuminate the oncoming trail on the steeps.

you think 12 feet ahead is going to help you at speed? 😯
    ah.. you mean “Elbry” fast/steep? gotcha 😆

😛

MrNutt
    Free Member

yep they are very good!

wiiija
    Free Member

I bought 2 and their bloody excellent, sold one to a mate though, 2 makes minimal difference to using 1 in my experience.

pk-ripper
    Free Member

takisawa2 – Member
    FFS…3 on your bars. Total overkill, the glare would cancel any gains out.

Really? If you want to think that, you’re welcome to.

TinMan
    Free Member

In Mist & drizzle on the road bike yesterday, the P7 on the helmet was a pain, wanted to move it to the bars as glare and reflection directly in your eyes is too much. Also on clear descents the flood doesn’t penetrate far enough for a road bike, but perfick on the MTB.

A Cree X-Re based light such as the fenix tk-11 would definitely be better for that as more focused, less flood. DE does have a cheap one for $19

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘are they really any good? – P7 torch thingy’ is closed to new replies.