Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Are these Rockshox Revelations goosed? (Warning Pic Heavy Pic Content)
  • burnsybhoy
    Free Member

Looking for some advice on these RS Revs I bought from the classifieds. Now I bought them for £45 which I know was a bit of punt and thought they may need a service and a bit of fettling to get them working properly.

I’ve removed the lowers and to be honest their wasn’t a lot of oil they seemed pretty dry and the upper tubes had a few marks all below the wiper seal. Before I start buying service kits to rebuild can anyone see from the pics below if there is anything thats terminal.

[/url]
    Camera Roll-331 by BURNSYBHOY, on Flickr[/img]

[/url]
    Camera Roll-334 by BURNSYBHOY, on Flickr[/img]

[/url]
    Camera Roll-334 by BURNSYBHOY, on Flickr[/img]

[/url]
    Camera Roll-333 by BURNSYBHOY, on Flickr[/img]

Thanks guys!

cynic-al
    Free Member

They’re not going to heal themselves.

Is there any play in use?

I’d just rebuild and ride, maybe touch up the scores with nail varnish.

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

Yeah my original plan was to service and it them on my gf’s bike. I’ll need to get a new wiper seal kit and I was planning to get and air service kit too and service that at the same time and the u-turn adjuster know will need replace as well.

retro83
    Free Member

clean with isoprop, repair stanchions with epoxy or nail varnish and finish with very fine wet dry to get a smooth surface. Then fit enduro seals and by the looks possibly new bushings too. Guessing the damper and air spring could use a little love too!

Edit:

think the seller was a little generous with their description of the stanchions…

Rock Shox Revelation U Turn-Air 426 with remote lock out, 100-130mm adjustable. 200mm steerer. A few years old, the lowers are fairly battered but stanchions are near perfect.

😯

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

Yeah what you can see in the bucket is all the seals that came out of the lowers when I removed them. Any suggestions on the best place for isoprop, endure seals and bushings retro83?

retro83
    Free Member

isopropyl alcohol from ebay, maplin or a chemist maybe. Enduro seals from here.

I’d only replace bushings if there’s play/knocking after reassembly. In which case id suggest speaking to loco about replacements.

Then you just need 5 wt suspension oil for the damper and 15wt sus or fully synth motor oil for the lowers and air spring.

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

Cheers again retro83, i’m sure I can get them working again. The only thing I need to check is when sanding with the wet/dry paper, should I only sand the areas I’ve applied the nail varnish? Is it better to wet the paper for sanding or leaving it dry?

retro83
    Free Member

I’d use it wet and a very fine paper, e.g 1200

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

Yeah I have some of that from when I was spraying a car part. Cheers I’ll give you a shout if I need any other pointers if thats cool?

bigjim

Jeez thats bad. I wouldn’t put nail varnish where the bushings will contact, I don’t think it’ll last, I think its OK where the seals contact further up the stanchions, but Loco or someone will know better.

Does the MoCo unit leak when they are upside down/on their side? If not and you do abandon them, I’ll take the Moco off you!

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

Any reason why the moco side is practically unmarked but the airside has all the scores?

nealy
    Free Member

Before you order the official and expensive air and damper seal kits check out the Reba o-ring kits for £8.75 from evilhomersimpson on ebay which may fit your Revs, search for “Rock Shox U-Turn (Reba) O-rings / Seals – Crush Washer kit”. Also if you need to buy all your oils then Red Line LightWeight suspension fluid is great for the damper as it’s very good quality and a very close match to Rockshox 5W oil (many 5W oils are much more or less viscous), Mobil 1 fully synthetic is better for the lowers than 15W fork oil as it clings to parts better and is slippier. You’re meant to use a thicker oil for the top of the air piston although I just used engine oil, the place that sells the Enduro fork seals sells pillow packs of it or you can use gear oil.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Are these Rockshox Revelations goosed? (Warning Pic Heavy Pic Content)’ is closed to new replies.