Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Are these £70 29er wheels from on-one complete carp, or OK?? (for the missus…)
  • DrP

Looking at building up a light XC/gravel bike for the wife, for bridleway/new forest jaunts..
    Riging on one scandal, 1×10..on the cheap, as it’s unlikely to be ridden much.

I’ve the frame, forks, steering, pedals, (possibly) crank..

Need wheels and 10sp shifter and mech..

Are These wheels from on-one going to blow up in our faces? I wouldn’t ride them, but for a 7.5 stone 4 times a year rider, they’ll be fine, right? Probably going to put on some thin tyres too…

Just wanting to make sure they’re chear and ‘ok’ rather than cheap and complete rubbish..

DrP

stevied
    Free Member

I would image, at nearly 2.5kg’s, they’d be fairly tough 😯

mattsccm
    Free Member

A mate has them on his London Road and they have ben fine for road and gravel use plus things like the HONC.

DrP

I would image, at nearly 2.5kg’s, they’d be fairly tough

Hmm… that’s not super lightweight, but not super heavy (is it?)

What’s my crests on pro 2’s likely to weight?

DrP

shermer75
    Free Member

I would say 2.5kg is on the heavy side of heavy

DrP

Hmm.. wanting to make it as light as possible, but (get this…) on a cheap budget!!! Who isn’t eh!
    They’ve plenty in stock, so will see what else is on offer..they may just have to do…

DrP

cokie

Front 748g,
    Rear 867g
    Total: 1624g
    (based on 26”)

So 2.5kg is the weight of your Crests with almost 2 XC tyres too 😯

Rubber_Buccaneer

I bet they are more like 1.7Kg. If you loved her you’d give her the crests and use those ‘keep fit’ on-one wheels yourself 🙂

johnnystorm

A quick google suggests hopes and 29er crests are about 1700g a pair.

Goddammit. Too slow. Must be my heavy wheels.

yetidave
    Free Member

just in-case this was a ninja wanted ad, I have some DT swiss, M1900 spline 29er wheels (QR with 6bolt disk). Can do them with some conti mountain king (I think that’s what I have) tyres, for £100, posted if you ask nicely..:-)

Rubber_Buccaneer

8.5mm valve hole
    QR included
    Weight:2380g

They’ll be fine. The weight isn’t that bad, she won’t know any better anyway

Edit: yetidave’s offer looks way more appealing though

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Admittedly they are double the price, but these look ok to me. Sealed bearings and 1/2 kg lighter.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/prime-peloton-disc-road-wheelset/rp-prod142938

I have some rims that are 17mm internal width and they work fine for 2.1 XC tyres, though they usually run 40mm Vittoria Hypers.

tthew

For the riding you describe, I think I’d be on the lookout for a pair of 700C disk road or touring wheels, rather than 29ers. Perhaps a pair of Mavic Askium’s, (might be just too narrow a rim actually) or similar.

Second hand would be worth looking for too, as wheels of that type are ripe for upgrading when buying a new bike.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

It’s your wife – do you want her to continue riding with you or not – then get a decent light set of wheels, maybe put her on a better bike than you are for those rides.

DrP

yetidave… That looks appealing, cheers – they’re 22.5mm innner width it seems…

Hmm..might look on ebay for touring/700c wheels over the next hour or so!

DrP

avdave2

maybe put her on a better bike than you are for those rides

He’s a doctor, he can just put her on drugs, doesn’t have to waste money on decent kit. 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

My wife wants trainer wheels for her hybrid. These would be ideal.. ok so she won’t have brakes but it’s for the rollers.

DrP

Alright grumpy sausages….!!
    I’ll be on this bike when we go out riding:

So it’s not like I’ll be KOMing it up hill and down dale whilst tutting about her crap wheelset holding her back!!!

DrP

yetidave
    Free Member

DrP, if your interested e-mail address is in my profile. Cheers

PS like the beer cooler!

mrjmt
    Free Member

😯

aaaaargggghhhh my eyes!

slowster
    Free Member

It’s your wife – do you want her to continue riding with you or not – then get a decent light set of wheels, maybe put her on a better bike than you are for those rides.

Agreed. If she’s 7.5 stone with a corresponding – or worse – power to weight ratio compared to the OP, then heavy wheels and/or a heavy bike is going to be much more of a handicap and spoil the ride much more than it would for the OP.

DrP, would it help you to justify spending more money on the wheels, if you were to think of them as a spare set for your own bike (which just happen to be stored by having them on your wife’s bike)?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

if you were to think of them as a spare set for your own bike (which just happen to be stored by having them on your wife’s bike)?

+1

and if you have a decent local wheel builder then you could pick up some 2nd hand 26er wheels with decent hubs and get them rebuilt.

DezB
    Free Member

What’s that padded bit above the stem for?

DrP

This little cutie to rest her head on when it’s nap time….

DrP

DrP

Agreed. If she’s 7.5 stone with a corresponding – or worse – power to weight ratio compared to the OP, then heavy wheels and/or a heavy bike is going to be much more of a handicap and spoil the ride much more than it would for the OP.

What we’re all falling foul of here is this.. (and i’m guilty of it too most of the time…).. we’re becoming bike snobs!
    I’m building up a bike for us to go on a pootle on along bridleways..not race XC on!!!

Anyway..I’ll keep an eye out, but likely to be taking up yetidave on his offer!!

DrP

Rubber_Buccaneer

^agreed. Too easy to get too carried away.

RustySpanner

DezB – Member
    What’s that padded bit above the stem for?

To stop his daughter seeing the state of his lawn?
    Is that the kind of example a GP should be setting to his neighbours, hmmmn?

ajantom

I’ve got a set of the on-one wheels fitted with 28c road tyres on my Genesis Vagabond.

They run nice and smooth, spokes were a little on the loose side, so I tightened them up.

I’ve done 400 or so miles on them so far, and whilst they are a little portly, for the price they’re a cracking set of wheels.

slowster
    Free Member

There’s always a balance to be struck, and good enough is good enough.

Neverthless, although I used the term power to weight ratio in my post, which is more normally used when discussing racers and competition riding, it is still relevant to tourers and ordinary people. If a bike is heavy and not very nice to ride, that is likely to spoil the experience.

The fact that as things stand the bike is only likely to be ridden four times a year, might itself be a reason to spend more, because if it’s nicer to ride then she might want to use it more.

In contrast, DrP, having read some of your posts (e.g. South Downs Way in a day on a single speed), I suspect that spending a similar amount of money on an upgrade for one of your bikes might not make anywhere as big a difference to you: you are very fit, very motivated and would get out and ride regardless.

DrP

F-it..she’s got some carbon ENVEs on the way…..

(Or, yetidave’s wheels as offered above!!)

DrP

DrP

To stop his daughter seeing the state of his lawn?
    Is that the kind of example a GP should be setting to his neighbours, hmmmn?

You numpty!! That was taken in the new forest this weekend – i’d be fuming if my laws was that hue of brown!!

DrP

DezB
    Free Member

This little cutie to rest her head on when it’s nap time…

I’m getting one for my bike!

is that the kind of example a GP should be setting to his neighbours

Wouldn’t be a bad back garden to have at that there Avon Tyrrell!

RustySpanner

You numpty!! That was taken in the new forest this weekend – i’d be fuming if my laws was that hue of brown!!
    DrP

I actually thought it was some kind of correctional facility, but I didn’t like to say…..
    🙂

P20

I’ve got a set that came with my Full Monty. They are heavy. I’ve had to replace a bearing in the rear wheel after a couple of months. I’d spend the extra and get something better

mjsmke

My DTM502’s on DT350’s at just under 2kg don’t sound that heavy anymore.

timidwheeler

Yuk!!
    Is that a green Bulmers??

Inbred456
    Free Member

I got some mavic 6 bolt xm119 29er rims with deore hubs from bikediscount.de for about £100. They are reasonably light and have stayed true with my 96od kilos on em.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Are these £70 29er wheels from on-one complete carp, or OK?? (for the missus…)’ is closed to new replies.