Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • are there ways to buy online,if you don't have a credit card?
  • racefaceec90

apologies for being stupid,but i am not eligible to get a credit card (santander basic account).

is there a way that i can do it without?

i just wanted to be able to buy some games from steam/xbox live e.t.c.

thanks for helping a numpty out 🙂

z1ppy

My debit card is a VISA, I don’t own a CC, never had any issues using it to pay for everything, though I use Paypal for some stuff too.

GrahamS

Debit card? Paypal?

(I never used to have a credit card either – but got one specifically to buy stuff online)

wysiwyg
    Free Member

How old are you? 12?

Debit card?

Edric64
    Free Member

Do you mean debit card?

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

You don’t have to get a CC via your bank. You can also use debit cards online..

racefaceec90

i just have the basic account card that you use with cash machine (it has cirrus on the back (whatever that means?)

as you can tell i’m not up on the card front (what’s what e.t.c) as although i’m 38,have never had a credit card (just basic account) so am well behind the times 🙂

i know how it sounds (i am a numpty when it comes to these things 😳

thanks again 🙂

bearnecessities

How old are you? 12?

Classy. Not everyone can get a cc; better for it probably!

fbk
    Free Member

Paypal and link your current account.

MSP

Prepaid credit card, no credit check, its just using visa/mastercard as a payment system rather than for credit. I use one for all my small online transactions. I just keep a small balance on it, so if it is ever compromised I don’t lose much and don’t have loads of hastle.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/prepaid-cards

molgrips
    Free Member

Visa don’t do credit anyway – that is your card issuer e.g. Barclaycard, Amex etc.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

bearnecessities – Member
    How old are you? 12?
    Classy. Not everyone can get a cc; better for it

Im aware of this, I dont use one from choice but Ive never had a bank account since the age of 18 maybe 16 that didnt have a debit card. Although I do know of one person who claims not to have a bank acc… in this day and age im unsure.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

honestly, go make an appointment with your bank and at least get a debit card. Get them to go through your options.

6079smithw
    Free Member

Bitcoin!!! 😀

sbob
    Free Member

wysiwyg – Member

How old are you? 12?

I’m older than twelve, and everything I’ve ever paid for has been in cash, be it a pint of Guinness or a £60,000+ BMW.

Now I’m sure you didn’t mean to come across as a see you next Tuesday, but not everyone uses credit and I personally have received my first ever debit card this year and I’m knocking on forty. 💡

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’m older than twelve, and everything I’ve ever paid for has been in cash, be it a pint of Guinness or a £60,000+ BMW.

Oh get you.

But OP go to your bank and ask them to change your current account to a debit card account. It makes life so much easier, saves you carrying £60k+ In cash when you go shopping for cars

johndoh
    Free Member

TBH I don’t know how someone can reach 40 and not actually *know* how to make a purchase online irrespective of whether or not they have a suitable bank account. Especially someone successful enough to afford a £60,000 car.

Are you a Gypsy?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

and everything I’ve ever paid for has been in cash

Really? A big bag of tenners? Do you not own a house?

I’m surprised you haven’t been investigated for money laundering.

ianv
    Free Member

Really? A big bag of tenners? Do you not own a house?

I had a friend who bought a Lamborghini with a massive wad of £50s, he paid cash for everything and was not a drug dealer.

One of those pre paid credit cards is probably the easiest option.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Previous posts suggest the sbob fella is talking shite about his £60k car purchase. Unless previous posts were shite.

engineeringcowboy
    Free Member

The op has not made a £60k + car purchase. Do you not know how to read a thread?

For the op, go to your bank and get a debit card. Iftar reason you can’t get one is because you have been declared bankrupt or have poor credit, then you can go to the co op bank and open up a basic account. Even though you can not have an overdraft the card for the account is a Visa card and therefore you can shop online using it.

Alternatively you can get a prepaid credit card, but I found using them a pain in the arse. Your other option is get a high interest credit card but pay it off every month so you don’t get caught out

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Think sbob was pissed.

winston_dog
    Free Member

I had a friend who bought a Lamborghini with a massive wad of £50s

Really? Why would you do this?

Another 14yro STWer sitting in his bedroom making up stuff for the interweb!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Go to you bank and get a debit card and a credit card. Credit cards are not evil, but they do in fact offer loads more protection than debit cards, buying online I would always use credit card over debit.

leffeboy

Prepaid card is a good way to go. More painful than a regular card but not dramatically so. I have one which only has small amounts in it which I use for web stuff so I can limit mu exposure to fraud on the web

spooky_b329

Or get a CC from Tesco et al. Tesco makes sense if you shop there as it can really bump up your points (it is a combined CC and Clubcard) which can be swapped for cheap channel crossings to the Alps 🙂

johndoh
    Free Member

Engineeringcowboy…

Suggests that the OP claims to have done…

trail_rat
    Free Member

Funkydunk – not everyones financial situation allows them to possess. Credit card.

Prepaid is a good option if that the case

Houns

I use paypal and the paypal ‘credit’ card

DezB
    Free Member

Paypal is the simple answer, as so many sites now accept it. Link your bank account, or add the credit you need into paypal to make the purchases.
    However , for sites that don’t take paypal, surely you can pay with your cirrus card.

Or, of course send envelopes full of cash as sbob seems to be suggesting 😉

martymac

surely the answer is paypal gift.
    i mean, what could possibly go wrong?

OP ask your bank for a debit card, or if you have a low credit score use a prepaid cc.

CraigW
    Free Member

You can buy gift cards for Xbox Live. I think Tesco or Game will have them.

bails

Johndoh….

Engineeringcowboy…

Suggests that the OP claims to have done.
    The person who wrote that £60k BMW post isn’t the OP.

OP: go to your bank, get a current account that comes with a VISA debit card. 123 current account for cashback on stuff?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Trail rat – most can if you are prepared to take one with a high interest rate. Mrs FD did this with a credit history as bad as you can get. Within 2 yes could get better cards.

The high interest rate is not an issue as you NEVER get behind on payment

andytherocketeer

confused at “not being eligible for a CC”.
    If over 18, you can get one from any CC provider. Doesn’t have to be your bank.

Debit cards work, but I’d NEVER use one online EVER!

If it gets scammed, then that card is (was) your only direct access to your bank account. At best, it’s 2 weeks of not being able to get any cash out of an ATM, or do chip+pin in Tesco.

Get a CC, set up direct debit to pay in full, and use that online. At least you have a buffer, and a back up solution, if something goes wrong.

(Speaking as someone who’s had CC scammed twice – once via a popular online bike store in NI, the other with a brand new card either booking via a hotel reservation website or via Paypal!).

winston_dog
    Free Member

If it gets scammed, then that card is (was) your only direct access to your bank account. At best, it’s 2 weeks of not being able to get any cash out of an ATM, or do chip+pin in Tesco.

Nothing like my experiences.

I have had my debit cards hacked twice, both times Barclays contacted me about suspicious transactions. The money was refunded immediately and I had a new card within 48hrs. Why would it take 2 weeks to get a new card?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

So without a CC or DC how does someone pay gas, electric, council tax at the PO? Car insurance doors Churchill take cash?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Funkydunc . Getting one and having the self control are two different things

Wysiwig- who pays any of that at the post office ? Dd all that

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Not if you haven’t got a bank acc. And I’m guessing if you have to pay. 60k cash you may not?

jamj1974

wysiwyg – Member
    So without a CC or DC how does someone pay gas, electric, council tax at the PO? Car insurance doors Churchill take cash?

Cheque. Direct debit. Cash payment over the counter at post office.

I don’t remember the OP asking for enquiry on how he has managed his affairs to date… To be frank it’s none of our business.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘are there ways to buy online,if you don't have a credit card?’ is closed to new replies.