• This topic has 91 replies, 60 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by jwt.
Viewing 12 posts - 81 through 92 (of 92 total)
  • Are there any politicians you actually respect
  • dragon
    Free Member

No not really, although I’m sure there are some unsung hero’s out there. Problem with any politicians is that do well they have to be a bit slimey to get there and then once there power corrupts. Hence, the public via voting need to keep them on their toes, anyone in a safe seat will invariably take the p*ss, as it’s easy street.

MrOvershoot

Our local MP Andrew Miller has been very good IMO he has held the seat since 1992 and sadly announced he will be standing down at the next election 🙁
    He has always replied promptly and with a good understanding to any letters, it probably helped he worked in the real world before becoming an MP
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Miller_(politician)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25311365

kcal

possibly John Smith and yet you just don’t know, do you? [ my wife helped resuscitate his after his first attack, sadly he was stricken a second time.. ] In the same vein, Robin Cook (!)

Alistair Darling quite possibly.

I think it speaks volumes that I’d quite possibly be able to name a government cabinet from the 1980s, but not now..

not sure about Charles Kennedy; Menzies Campbell. Paddy Ashdown almost certainly.

I suppose it’s the thing about balancing the representing the views of your electorate, while at the same time taking tough decisions for their future benefit.

trouble is, who’d actually /be/ a politician? It’s that old Billy Connolly gag about barring anyone that would want to stand.

globalti
    Free Member

I think William Hague does a pretty good job.

crikey
    Free Member

Ghengis Khan.

If he had trains, they’d run on time.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

I think William Hague does a pretty good job.

I have to disagree there… I’ve seen plenty of evidence to suggest he has some very nasty skeletons in his closet, with close links to his predecessor, Leon Brittan.

I forgot about Robin Cook; very principled with his resignation over the Invasion of Iraq and honest enough to disclose that ”Al-Qaida, literally ‘the database’, was originally the computer file of the thousands of mujahideen who were recruited and trained with help from the CIA to defeat the Russians” a few weeks prior to his untimely death

totalshell

a fairly good mate of mine set off on a political ‘career’.. he was a decent bloke chancer beer drinking spoke as he saw no silver spoon.. best part of 30 years later and hes morphed in to an tory MP.

ononeorange

The words respect and decent cannot belong in the same sentence as politician. They’re all as bad as each other.

nick1962
    Free Member

Peter Tatchell
    Mustafa Kemal Ataturk

Daffy

Frank Kendall III

kilo

I don’t trust any of them at present but if you want an MP doing something on principal how about

😉

jwt
    Free Member

Tim Farron MP for Westmorland and Lonsdale.
    To be fair it’s more a vote for the man than the party.(IMHO)

Viewing 12 posts - 81 through 92 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘Are there any politicians you actually respect’ is closed to new replies.